• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

New Oil paint system by Ammo of Mig

jknaus

Administrator
This is different. Wonder how useful it is. Might get some to try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ds8c4sT8NA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X74TTAb3ZPw

James

That's pretty neat packaging. Nice idea. I like the idea of repackaging oils from the old tubes but the brush seems a bit gimmicky.

Thanks for sharing James (y)

It's an interesting idea and its not my intention to be sour grapes but I see several what would be issues for me with the brush part. One thing is the paint on the part between the brush and the handle / cap. I know I would end up getting it on me and other places I don't want it. Yes, you could wipe it off and only insert the brush deep enough to wet the tip. I also, again for me anyway, would not find the cap ergonomic, for control I like to hold a brush closer to the tip. I could see cutting the brush off entirely and just using a regular paint brush but I suspect the price includes a premium to cover the cost of the container. So for now I think I'll stick with the messy tubes which if cleaned after use don't get that messy and based on the the rate I'm using them the tubes I have will last me the rest of my life.

I hope they sell well as I assume there were development and start up costs and I'm sure many will find them quite handy. Thanks for the info James !

Hmmm :hmmm Innovative idea but I don't see myself using the brush as I use something much finer than that for my work .

Also, as is it seems that it might be sort of wasteful with the oils being on the shank of the brush at all time :idonno

On the other hand , it might be easier to keep the caps clean ( which I do ) . It also looks like they might be prediluted some . That might also be a plus.

Thanks for sharing James . I have to hand it to him . He goes outside the box :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

Based on what I see in the video, I would caution anyone thinking about these to do one simple thing before you order them:

Hold a brush by it's end and see how much control you have. Generally, people hold a brush like a pencil, not like a mascara bottle. It would take a lot of getting used to imo, beside the mess and waste of a brush stem covered in paint.

I've been using the same 3 Kolinsky sable brushes for years with simple cleaning methods and not letting the paint get to the ferrule. How are you going to keep the that clean if lives in the paint?

Well, I get my high quality oil paint and put it into one of these:
500pcs-3-5g-elegant-empty-font-b-eyeliner-b-font-font-b-bottle-b-font-empty.jpg

Then I try to use it. While one hand shakes trying to place a dot on the exact spot, what is my other hand doing? Holding onto the thin cylinder of a bottle? Should I worry about spilling or letting too much air in to affect the linseed oil?

Regards,

I'm wondering how the brush will stay pointy, given the viscosity of the oil. :idonno

I'm wondering how the brush will stay pointy, given the viscosity of the oil. :idonno

I don't see how, unless it's a really hard synthetic brush, which is everything you don't want in an oil brush.

I've been using oil paints longer than any other medium, so we're talking close to 40 years. The way I was shown to care for a brush by professionals a long time ago and still use today is simple: after using the appropriate solvent, wash the brush in the palm of your hand with a mild hand soap or even shampoo (it's hair after all). Rinse and pull the bristles to a point, either stand it up vertically or hang it upside down until dry.

I have oil paint tubes that are 30 years old and are still good. You unscrew the cap, put a tiny dab on a palette or wax paper and close it. It's the same way it's been done for a long time. Sticking a viscous paint in a mascara bottle is not an improvement.

I can see these being a useful alternative for the dot filter method. So I can see a use for these. To replace oil paints, not really. No matter what though I think its great that some come up with innovative new ideas whether good or bad to help the hobby evolve. If all we ever do is complain then that innovative spirit is going to go away. I'm going to get a couple of colours to pay with and se what happens I think.
James

I can see these being a useful alternative for the dot filter method. So I can see a use for these. To replace oil paints, not really. No matter what though I think its great that some come up with innovative new ideas whether good or bad to help the hobby evolve. If all we ever do is complain then that innovative spirit is going to go away. I'm going to get a couple of colours to pay with and se what happens I think.
James

Thanks James, I'll likely get some just because I hate the tube stuff. :dance

Back