• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

started up a new project

doxdawgs33

hello all. this has been a good week for me,i just started up a project to help out children in my community.i started up a modeling group for some of the kids that dont have much and are at risk.we had our first meeting last night and it went very well.it was so wounderful to see the kids having a good time.i am hopeing that more will show up next week.i had 8 show up and it was very fun.my goal is to keep kids off the streets and show them that friends and family are the way to go.ive been very lucky with others helping out,a local hobby shop donated some kits and paints to the cause.and they said they will have a few more items to help out with next week i just started makin calls and it all fell together. i dont want to bore you all but i was just so proud of this i wanted to share it with you all. im still working out the bugs of my idea and any thoughts or ideas would be really apprecated.
thanks
paul

Hi Paul,

Very nice initiative! It's good to get the children do something that's fun and get them of the street! Mayby you could post some pictures!!

Cheers Erik

doxdawgs33 wrote:
hello all. this has been a good week for me,i just started up a project to help out children in my community.i started up a modeling group for some of the kids that dont have much and are at risk.we had our first meeting last night and it went very well.it was so wounderful to see the kids having a good time.i am hopeing that more will show up next week.i had 8 show up and it was very fun.my goal is to keep kids off the streets and show them that friends and family are the way to go.ive been very lucky with others helping out,a local hobby shop donated some kits and paints to the cause.and they said they will have a few more items to help out with next week i just started makin calls and it all fell together. i dont want to bore you all but i was just so proud of this i wanted to share it with you all. im still working out the bugs of my idea and any thoughts or ideas would be really apprecated.
thanks
paul

Fantastic idea and I hope that it is a raging success for you. If you can change just 1 life then it has all been worth it.

Good Luck with yur venture

TREEMENDUS wrote:
Good for you Paul. What a cool idea.

Where are you, do you live in a city centre?

Ant
thanks for the kind words.i live in iowa in a smaller town, so far ive got a few kids coming over from a town just 5 miles from me also. i am so ,looking forward to our next meeting. i was able to get a few modeling books for the kids to use. and ive got a few more kits comeing also. ill try to get some pics of our little group and share them with you
thanks for all the replies and ideas
paul

Paul,

I see you paying it forward! B)

Sorry about not responding to Yahoo messages, work has been turbulent lately with my contract ending so they are trying to kill me with tasks before letting me go. That's life!

anyway, e-mail me as there are some ideas brewing in this noggin.

Regards,

sharkmouth wrote:
Paul,

I see you paying it forward! B)

Sorry about not responding to Yahoo messages, work has been turbulent lately with my contract ending so they are trying to kill me with tasks before letting me go. That's life!

anyway, e-mail me as there are some ideas brewing in this noggin.

Regards,
thank you saul ill send one out to you
paul

well guys the last meeting was great i had 9 kids and 5 adults show up this time.we started up a new idea to...snack time my wife thought it was a good idea to add it as for yrs she has seen me eating at the bench. it was really a good nite one of the little guys dads has been out of the hobby for yrs now.his last model was bought in 1973. he was very suprized at how the hobby has moved along.he had never seen etch before.i got him hooked up with a tiger to start, man it was great to see him tear into it like it was his first time. i have to tell you all ....this whole experence has been great.im so glad that i did this.my wife is getting us a new camera so i can get some good pics to share with you all
regards
paul

What part of Iowa are you from, Paul? I'm originally from Altoona and there are several members here that are Iowans. Viper_mp is the webmaster for the IPMS Plastic Surgeons, based in Des Moines, look us up when you get a minute. Excellent work getting kids involved!! (y) (y)

Paul,
You're doing great...
I've always geared our model clubs to get kids active too.
If you do a contest. Make sure every kid gets a ribbon,
(Don't just give them one for every entry a kid puts in).
Have someone go through the list and if they get a 1st,
2nd or 3rd, That's great, but If they don't make sure they
get an honorable mention.) Make sure that the "best" model
they enter is the one that gets the ribbon. That way they
will strive to make it as good if not better than that one.
If you just blanket all the kids models, they will feel
cheated and you will hear at least one of them say, well it
doesn't matter how bad it is, you're going to get a ribbon
anyways. This way they know which was their best kit and
they will try harder next time.
At least this has been my experience in the past.
Hope it helps.
Shawn

Back