• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Rattling the Tip Jar once again

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
It's been a long time since we did this but i'm asking for donations. Why?

Well you may know that our forum software is way out of date and it's being left behind in technology. Ease of use, mobile access and all sorts of new things have happened to forums since we built this website 10 years ago.

In my travels on the internets I stumbled on a forum software that i really like, very easy to use. It's called Xenforo. https://xenforo.com/

This is commercial software, not free to use stuff we've been using. It would appear to me that it's much better supported than our current solution. It has everything built in and it's so easy to use. I've been on the Tundras.com website for over a year and they use it. Uploading images is just a manner of cut and past into the forum post. No attachment, no 3rd party hosting. Just drop it in the forum.

I've reached out to a developer who can migrate our website, everyone one of you, all your post, images and even our front page articles. We've been discussing the process with him for about a month and I think we're ready to pull the trigger. He has given us several options on our migration and I think the price will be about $275-350 depending on how much we get him to do.

As you can see on the Xenforo website their licensing is listed. I'm thinking we'll be coming in at about $350.00 usd to fire up the software. This is a one year license. We do not HAVE to renew it but if we want support we do have to purchase a license again.

So all total to upgrade our website, worse case scenario, is $700. This is on top of the $75.00 I pay monthly for our virtual private server (that doesn't get shut down for days on end like it use to).

So I'm sliding the tip jar down the counter my friends. Anything you can contribute please do. All I can offer is maybe a special badge on the new website for your profile?

More about the Tip Jar can be found here: The Tip Jar..

Again you can use the handy Paypal portal on the front page. https://www.modelersalliance.org/ or simply send to paypal@modelersalliance.com via Paypal. (sending to the email as a Gift avoids paypal fees :hmmm )

Just as a reminder, this site is totally private funded. There are no sponsors or advertisers helping to pay the bill.

Thank you all for your support over the years. I plan on getting this completed about March of this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Bob, I will send some cash your way next month. Just catching up with some Christmas bills this month.

:v

My wife will be depositing some funds into the bank account I use for PayPal tomorrow. When I get home from work or on Tuesday morning I will send some your way. I enjoy this site when I can find the time to get on and want to support it.

Cheers,
James

Just checked the Paypal account, Wow you guys are stepping up!! Thank you all, I'll send out individual messages when I get back home.

Y'all rock!

:dude :dude :dude :ro: :ro: :ro: (y) (y) :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :good: :mpup

BAM! We just hit halfway mark!

Jeeves, Mike T, Dr John, Mr John!, Gary, Barney, Eric, James O' and Paul S, Thank you all!

Half way there and I haven't even offered anything in return other than free lifetime memberships. :rotf

I had already planned on doing some help for the monthly. I look at it this way, I get as much from this site (or more) than I get from a kit, so why not put forth what I would for a couple of kits.

Shake, rattle and roll! Come on, boys, we need to get this done. If you buy one model magazine a month, I guarantee you get more out of this site. Any amount helps. B)

Back