• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Anti CA

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
I've gotten my buckles and stuff in so I'm about to start the rigging on the Red Baron. I'm going to be doing some serious tweezer work in close proximity to some CA. Is there anything I can put on the tweezers to keep the CA from wicking up there instead of where I intend for it to go? :hmmm

Any more I apply CA from a drop placed on a glass slide. I transfer a small amount using a polished wire with a chisel end on it. It tends to help keep the CA going where I want it and allows it to wick in the small areas and holes you want it to flow in to.

I don't use the little loupe things or the fork shaped things. They don't work all that well when doing small precise applications. Also there is a small enough amount applied that it won't tend to wick up to the tweezers.

Here are the two tools that I use. I almost never use the fork tool anymore. The other works quite well and when it gets a little coated I take an Xacto blade and do a quick scrape off and keep going.

h11bf393.jpg

h46b1f56.jpg

h1342fb8.jpg

h941d6c2.jpg

Another thing is if you take some 12000 grit paper and polish it the CA will flow off easier. Mixes of old and new CA and different thicknesses can give some interesting properties like less brittleness, or thin slower setting CA. I just place a drop of each and mix them.

Sometimes it is really worth doing some experimenting. Also if you use the chisel in a scooping manner it is possible to pick up more CA depending on speed and angle. If you just dip it the CA will tend to flow back off when you withdraw it.

If you have any weird issues give me a a shout.

If I get any in the wrong place I use this to clean it up...

h00c563e.jpg

It works great to clean up any CA glue booboos. I usually just wet a micro brush and clean off the offending bloob. I buy it from Amazon.
Link here Amazon Link

HTH
Mike

You can also remove dried CA from tools by passing them through an open flame (I use a BBQ starter).

Back