• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

So, you think you can sculpt?

bob letterman

Master at Arms
Staff member
Guys, my wife found this on the Internet. It is by Jordu Schell, an artist who works in Hollywood. I am familiar with his work, He does a lot of monsters and did a Morgan Freeman and a Michael Jackson that were killer. But this, this is absolutely incredible. Talk about nailing Alec Guinness as Obi Wan Kenobi, it freaked me out. Jordu did all the sculpting and another guy who specializes in adding real hair to sculpts did that.

56201183_10157468574640992_318797611152703488_n.jpg

This tops anything I have ever seen in sculpting!!

Bob

Wow! I have been checking out some of the 1/6 scale figures and many of those are quite impressive but this out does all of those.

I gotta tell you, I'm in awe of this guy! That is beyond talent, that is beyond belief!

Look at the skin texture, that had to be done one pore at a time! I wish the eyes were more clear in the photo because I can only imagine what they are like!

You know, this hobby of ours is becoming a true art form. I remember the days when people thought it was silly and the models were toys. Nobody in his right mind could call that sculpture a toy! I have been to all the great wax museums in Europe. They are well done, but this is in a class by itself!

My God, I could only wish for that kind of talent! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Bob

Oh yeah, Mr Schell is incredible.

The film industry is one of the biggest employers of sculptors. Most of the work you'll never know is sculpted, that's the point.

Full scale busts are often taken from life casts of the actors, or sculpted side by side as a reference. Life casts capture every bit of detail (sometimes pulling out an eyelash or two that embed in the cast just as it sat on the person). Every pore, wrinkle, fingerprint, etc. is perfectly preserved.

Again, that's not to take away from an extremely talented artist at the top of his game. And this one is not necessarily from a life cast or one used as a reference, I mention it because it's the fastest way to an accurate result.

The end product is most likely silicone. It's used widely now in makeup effects and props. Back in my day, we used pharmaceutical gelatin melted with glycerin instead. It offers the same translucent effect, pliability of skin as well as being able to punch in individual hairs to mimic the real thing. These days silicone has advanced to where it can be used the same way, but with better results and longer lasting. I have slides of Dick Smith's work on Ghost Story of a gelatin head of Douglas Fairbanks Jr that side by side with the actor, you could not tell the difference.

The eyes also help, today you can get acrylic eyes matched to the actual subject as well.

:woohoo:

Nooo!! They chopped off Obi Wan's head!!!!!

In all seriousness, to quote a certain dark lord, "Impressive. Most impressive!"

Back