• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Not overly impressed with Atlantis.

ausf

Master at Arms
I had high hopes for them and I certainly might be nit picking here, but I just grabbed their 'The Invaders' kit and I'm not overly thrilled.

he8aa336.jpeg

The original Aurora was marketed towards kids, sold for $1.50. Are there any modelers at this point who aren't planning on painting a kit? I can't see anyone building this kit without some lighting involved, it's just a plain saucer otherwise. Why oh why wouldn't they use clear styrene for the parts that illuminate on their own box art?

I bought this as a quick weekend toss together with some Arduino work on the chasers and engine. The engine cover has great texture, but is molded in solid, silver styrene. Even more frustrating, the top requires major cutting of 8 slots, then filling with clear, not a quick or clean bit of work.

I understand not wanting redo the tooling, the engine piece is molded into the base, but the top is a relatively small part that could have easily been run in clear, but honestly, the entire kit could have been cast clear since they have to add color to styrene.

Again, at $35, how many kids will buy it without paint in mind in that they'd want to leave it bare styrene? They ave to know their market on this is a bunch of old guys who are familiar with a late 60s TV show.

Sorry for the rant, but a quick 'finish out the year weekender' turns into another 'stick it away until it can be built properly'. Problem is I'm surrounded by 'stick it aways'.

:frantic

Actually, I am thankful you posted this, as I had the kit as a kid! (as with MP< I do not remember the series) that was about 1969 or 1970 when I was like 6 or 7, so I am betting that Dad built it. I seem to recall him having alot of not-so-nice words to say when building it. I know I built it a few years later, so it was for sale at the old hobby shop on main street, and that must have been 1974 or '75, and I recall the interior walls being impossible to line up properly, but the 'landing gear' could fold up or down, although sitting it on those was precarious.

As I say, I had intended to but it again, but will likely refrain and maybe get the Battlestar Galactica Viper kit instead.

I remember the show, (the aliens left little fingers would never bend) and had the kit back when it first came out. I remember the landing gear being 5 flat parts with 2 pins sticking down that you would pull out and set up into the recesses. The interior was basic (as was that in the show).

If I remember correctly mine had 2 top parts. One the silvery plastic and one that was clear. I think that was the only clear part on the old kit. The engine stuff below had to be painted.

Sorry to hear your woes Jeff it is a nostalgic kit and a reissue of the original. I hear they have released the old "Phantom" kit with the witch doctor to the side.

hdbfaa4d.jpg

If there are any 2001 Space Odyssey fans here, there is this coming out this year.

h65c40af.jpg

It is 1/8th scale and will such that it can be lighted. Not cheap but the pre-order is a fair amount less than retail.

Thanks guys.

Paul, I've had the EVA on preorder since November, can't wait. It's a great time to be a modeler!

I've heard the old kits came with a clear cover so you could see the interior.

Pup, here ya go, the entire series in on YouTube. Roy Thinnes scared the crap out me as a kid in a Night Stalker type TV movie, The Norliss Tapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr751Jenlmo&list=PLwk4jHNh7Q89cAiB_A6_nmTvn80oL9EXE&index=1&frags=pl%2Cwn

An idea dropped on my head, I pulled out the table saw and a few minutes later I was building it.

https://modelersalliance.org/forum/jeff-matthes/154365-the-invaders-ufo

Back