• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A great new documentary!

bob letterman

Master at Arms
Staff member
A New documentary called, "They Shall Not Grow Old", is coming out shortly. They have taken WW I vintage combat footage and turned it into high quality full color video. I watched the preview and I will definitely not miss this one! Check it out! And no..... I'm not in it!

http://www.theyshallnotgrowold.movie/

Bob

A New documentary called, "They Shall Not Grow Old", is coming out shortly. And no..... I'm not in it!

Bob
:laugh:
Thanks for the 'heads-up" Bob. I have checked my local cinema and they have only 1 session per day for the next 2 days only so I will be seeing this tomorrow - looks amazing!

Ian.
P.S hope things are going well mate.

This does look incredible. Thought about going last night but wasn't able to make it happen. might try on the 27th over the holidays.

I don't get out of work till 6:00 so a no go for me. Let us know what you think Paul! I will probably pick up a Blu-Ray of it if and when.

Pretty sure the Lord of the Rings guy (Peter Jackson?) did this and I agree it looks neat. Small town here means not likely it will come here, so will hafta wait till it’s out on redbox

Here is my take on the documentary. Jackson did a superb job at bringing the war into the modern times. From all the computer adaptations in selecting frame speed, making old unusable film into something that can be viewed and colorization actually brought the war right to me. With the interviews of former WWI vets that were on film and video file you will really see how pointless that war was. A statement made by one of the vets " We cold not find work and were mostly shunned by our country men " made me think that, while not intending to denigrate any Korea or Nam vet, made those two conflicts pale in comparison. By that I mean to say that I thought it to be on a grander scale. Between 1914 and 1918 four million allied service members were lost in that war. Unfortunately most of those young men were just 16 to 19 years old and some as young as 14. You find a lot of those boys did that for adventure and not for the defense of their nation.

Technically it was an outstanding film and I will strive to see more of Peter Jackson's films. I also feel that those of you that missed the opportunity to see this film are not only missing out on history but the artistry that Jackson produces. It really opened my eyes.

Well said, Paul.

I wish he would do another focusing on aviation, in the afterword he showed just enough to whet my appetite. My wife went with me, and I was afraid she might have a hard time with it but her comment was that it was the first good movie we have seen in a long time. No Hollywood at all in this one.

Back