• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Happy Thanksgiving

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
Among my many thanks I have this year is a great group of friends who share our quirky little hobby on this quirky little corner of the webs...

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate the day and many thanks to all our friends around the globe. :drinks

I am thankful for my many friends I have made here over the years. Happy Thanksgiving.

Mega Dittos to all of that folks! You have been a great inspiration to me and have gotten me off of dead center where I was for many years. Can't say thanks enough!

thank-you.gif

Hi MP, we don't celebrate TG down under but this year the stores and online people are trying to sell us this 'Black Friday' thing from the US to get us to come and spend more money on another 'event day'. :idonno
Can someone explain to me what Black Friday is and why is it black, and why is something that sounds quite negative now associated with over the top consuming?

Ian.

Hi MP, we don't celebrate TG down under but this year the stores and online people are trying to sell us this 'Black Friday' thing from the US to get us to come and spend more money on another 'event day'. :idonno
Can someone explain to me what Black Friday is and why is it black, and why is something that sounds quite negative now associated with over the top consuming?

Ian.

Sorry this has exported out across the globe Ian.

Friday after Thanksgiving has traditionally been the kick off of the holiday season leading up to Christmas and New Years. We pretty much write off Dec for getting any actual work done. Many families have reunions to give thanks and feast, catch up on the years events and come together. Most folks have Thursday and Friday off giving us a nice 4 day weekend. So retailers figure they can lure consumers out with the carrot and stick baiting, guess it works.

Retailers generally close on Thanksgiving (they used to) so the day after they would run some insane sales on items to get folks to come out. And of course the lemmings come out in droves to save some money on things they really don't need.

Black Friday refers to accountants being able to mark up a good sales day for the store as opposed to a red day where they lost money. Notice it's all about money...

Of course this generally devolves into a slug fest over items that have no value to start with. Some doll that was marked up to high to start with, some TV that will be obsolete after the first of the year, you know, junk.

Sorry Mate, hope you don't hold a grudge against us for this. :(

And to make matters even worse when you thought that was bad enough...some stores crave greed and mayhem so much, they stay open on Thanksgiving so the zombie masses can leave their families on a day they should cherish the together time to go wait in lines and buy all that useless crap early.

Among my many thanks I have this year is a great group of friends who share our quirky little hobby on this quirky little corner of the webs...

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate the day and many thanks to all our friends around the globe. :drinks

Sounds a little PC ... But thanks MP ... I had a good one I hope you and your family had a great one ...

It never ceases to amaze me how a connection can be easily formed with people I've never met, especially as a force for just plain fun and artistic expression (even NMF finishes).

A perfect Thanksgiving would be Thursday with the family and Friday in a big hall somewhere with you lot, models and leftovers in hand.

Hmmmm, stuffing and styrene...

It never ceases to amaze me how a connection can be easily formed with people I've never met, especially as a force for just plain fun and artistic expression (even NMF finishes).

A perfect Thanksgiving would be Thursday with the family and Friday in a big hall somewhere with you lot, models and leftovers in hand.

And Beer.... :drinks

Oooh I like licking my models Dontchaknow

Oooh I like licking my models Dontchaknow

You are still a weird duck, Dave

Ian.

This stems from when retailers were in a negative sales situation during the year. They used to mark the slump for sales in "red" in their ledgers. Traditionally the Friday after our Thanksgiving was always the start if the Christmas buying season and that first day usually brought them into the "black" as far as profit in their books. As far back as the depression being in the black was good for business where as being in the red was foreboding failure.

Ho ho ho, just finished putting up Christmas lights. In jeans and a T shirt. Low 60's, not very Christmasy, but at least I'm not freezing my baguettes off, Clark. :rotf

Back