• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Castrol Super Clean.

ausf

Master at Arms
Now it's just called Super Clean, easily available at any auto parts or big box store. I got it form Advantage Auto for $8 a gallon.

I soaked two vintage Aurora kits that were slathered with 50 year old enamels. They were high gloss and holding strong.

After an overnight bath, they were squeaky clean, beautiful new styrene. Only some paint left in tight crevices or where there was a glue joint. I poured it back into the container to use next time.

Best about this method is it's a degreaser, basically soap. It's not non toxic, but it's not solvent based either. It's pretty safe, biodegradable, mixed with water it can be used around the house and in the kitchen, etc. The gloves are needed because it sucks the moisture out of your skin.

Sorry, I was doing this on the deck and the camera was two flights up so I didn't snap any photos.

I'm going to do a few more Auroras soon, I'll grab pics then if theres interest.

I second the emotion, CSC or Super Clean is the best I've found for stripping paint. It also strips chrome off model parts. A gallon lasts a very long time and as was said, can be reused. Strips the gunk off gas grilles too.
B)

I second the emotion, CSC or Super Clean is the best I've found for stripping paint. It also strips chrome off model parts. A gallon lasts a very long time and as was said, can be reused. Strips the gunk off gas grilles too.
B)

I forgot that bit about the chrome...That'll come in handy, I have the Munsters Car and Dragula that I need to strip the chrome.

Thanks Mike!

Back