• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Anyone else have a modeling Holy Grail?

ausf

Master at Arms
My earliest memory was getting a model kit for Easter. I remember the gift because it was part of a treasure hunt where my brothers and I had to find clues throughout the house that led to the presents. I distinctly remember opening the dryer door to find my gift. It was a model of a demolition derby car. The house we were in then, I'm told we moved out of in 1970. That puts me at 4 or 5 years old. I do remember opening the box on my bunk bed, can't recall building it or anything else.

I've been on an Aurora kick lately, I've been buying up all the '62-'65 Universal Monster kits I can find at a reasonable price with hopes of stripping and restoring. During this search and research, I picked up the Schiffer book on Aurora and lo and behold, in the pages is the exact kit, the first model I ever had.

It's Aurora's 1964 1/32 Demolition Demon. It all adds up, hobby shopping at that time where I grew up was one of three options, Brownies Hobbies, Woolworths and the Lionel store. Brownies was the spot I remember year in year out, drooling over all the kits and supplies, and a major section was Aurora. So in '69 or '70, an Aurora kit would be the ideal gift and my brothers had the monster kits.

Besides the fact, I remember the box and further searching doesn't disclose any other demolition car model kits.

So, I've officially found my quest:

ha623779.jpg

It may take a while, it may take some cash, but one day...

I don't know everett, was it all the Woolworths or just that one ? :rotf

Nice, I think I had that kit at well.

Anyone remember the old Snoopy and Red Barron motorized kits? Don't remember who built those.

Anyone remember the old Snoopy and Red Barron motorized kits? Don't remember who built those.

I remember a battery powered Snoopy doghouse/biplane that my grandparents gave me. The was the second thing that came to mind after the Derby car. I remember being amazed by that thing, but I don't think it was a kit or if it was, they assembled it before giving it to me.

While not a model kit per se, I would have to say that the Cox Baja Bug would be it. I can remember the smell of the burnt fuel, the burns on my fingers from the glow plugs, it opens just a torrent of memories.

eqUqJNE.jpg

Circa 1973

I have two on my list, both 1/48 Raccoon Models

48-6 Aichi E16A Zuiun (Paul)

48-27 Yokosuka E14Y1 (Glen)

I almost had a chance to buy the E16A off Ebay but lost the auction. That's the only time I've seen one of these offered.

Matchbox Kits I just love that multicolored goodness Even if they have Marianas trench panel lines. :D

While not a model kit per se, I would have to say that the Cox Baja Bug would be it. I can remember the smell of the burnt fuel, the burns on my fingers from the glow plugs, it opens just a torrent of memories.

eqUqJNE.jpg

Circa 1973

That one looks pre-weathered. :Hiay

Matchbox Kits I just love that multicolored goodness Even if they have Marianas trench panel lines. :D

I remember the 1/76 armor line - multi-color too! And those trenches... The better to hold your wash my pretties! :geek
Oh yes I was able to track down an M7 Priest just last week - My Favourite ever armor kit. Hope to get it soon next month. Then there was Monties Caravan and The Puma Lovely goodness. Got them all one Christmas from my Grandpa and Grandma.

I had a black molded Cox line operated Stuka. Never got it flying, just would sit there for hours flicking the prop trying to start it. Which was good, since when it did start, the prop usually sliced up my fingers before I'd get them out of the way. I remember some deep to the bone hits, but never needed stitches. Then I'd pack it away until my fingers healed and I forgot the pain.

I can hear it like it was yesterday: thucka thucka...thucka thucka...thucka thucka....thucka thucka.......thuWHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

The holy grail that I have never been able to acquire is the MPM/HML resin 1/48 Bv 138. I had it on my ebay watch list for years but never any showed up.

bv138jv_5.jpg

I had a black molded Cox line operated Stuka. Never got it flying, just would sit there for hours flicking the prop trying to start it. Which was good, since when it did start, the prop usually sliced up my fingers before I'd get them out of the way. I remember some deep to the bone hits, but never needed stitches. Then I'd pack it away until my fingers healed and I forgot the pain.

I can hear it like it was yesterday: thucka thucka...thucka thucka...thucka thucka....thucka thucka.......thuWHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

We had the PT20, flew it a couple of times, got dizzy as all get out around and around...

We had the PT20, flew it a couple of times, got dizzy as all get out around and around...

We had the P-38, but you could never keep both engines running long enough to get it into the air. We had the P 51 also and our neighbor had the stuka. Yes I remember that sound - great times!

Cool! I had one of those and succesfully flew it for a few turns before my older brother begged for a turn and smashed it into the ground on the first pass. I was pretty mad at him. :bat

To get back on subject, my holy grail?

h8f123bb.jpg

1967 Caprice Custom Coupé. Bucket black leather seats with console and T shifter. 327 "turbofire" (I think that's what the decal had on it). That was the most Barney Badass car my Dad had other than the T-Bucket san's body that I have no photo of.

Jeez, Bob, we're brothers from different mothers.

My first car was a '69 Impala with a 396 I bought for $200. I went on to own two Impala SS's after that, a '64 and '66. Best cars in the world, two speed Powerglide, smoothest ride in the world. Then I landed my absolute dream car, a '66 Malibu SS ragtop. Ended up with a cracked frame, spent about 2 years looking for a replacement frame, but they were all cracked in the same spot. It ended up sitting in the garage for about 10 years before I parted it out. The seats along paid for the whole car, the emblems and SS hubcaps alone doubled what I put out for it.

...would be this:

h6bc9413.jpg

First ever kit for my 7th Birthday in 1970. Dad built and painted it (of course), would love to find one in this box an build it in his memory.

Ian.

Back