• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Procrastination !

Old Dog

I guess sometimes it's a good thing. My recent goal of finishing some long ignored partially built kits lead me to the box with my Fairey Battle in it. I had started it as part of a group build over on Swanny's back in 2009 which was not a good year for me. The last photo posted

battle1.jpg

When I started rummaging through the box I found that the canopies had yellowed. Had I finished it back then it would now be sitting in the case with a yellowed canopy :(

yellowcanopy.jpg

It actually looks worse in person as the white balance is off. I checked Falcon but they don't make one and getting a replacement from Classic Airframes isn't going to happen and it would probably be yellowed anyway. All of my casting supplies are past using so I guess this one will go back on the shelf of ignore for a while longer. And I had done such a nice job of cutting that one out too :bang head

There was an extensive thread about yellowed canopies over on LSP about a year ago, all sorts of things suggested such as soaking in bleach and exposing to the sun, none of which had any appreciable effect, in the end a chemist weighed in that it was probably due to a chemical change in the plastic itself and would be homogeneous throughout, so surface treatments would not help.

What about using the original to make a plaster of Paris mold and then smash moulding or vac forming a new one. Making your own homemade vac box is pretty simple using your vacuum cleaner for the suction.

I have a vacuforming machine and will make a new master with resin, I just need to wait till I have enough projects to justify ordering more materials. I've had too many containers of the stuff go bad from waiting on projects.

Try some Flitz. I did a quickie review on it some time back, it works wonders on Optivisors. :D

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/sprue-u-tips-and-techniques/151871-flitz#273251

Back