• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Tamiya Jagdpanther

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
This kit was acquired after a mail order mishap, I purchased what I thought was a 1/35 scale gun barrel. :facepalm
I've not built a 1/48 scale kit, so this ought to be interesting. :laugh:

hdf961fa.JPG

h9c9120b.JPG

Very small window to build this, going to have to move it. :mpup :gogo

Thanks for dropping by.

:drinks

Thanks, my friends. This is the biggest kit I have that fits the scale limits, I have some 1/72, but feel those will be too small for my limited vision capacity. :blink

No start expected until Saturday at the earliest, thanks for following along!

So it's time to start this beast! Armed with a couple online reviews of the kit and some good references, I'm diving in.

h3259671.JPG

hd1ed4f2.JPG

Kit pretty much goes together easy, added a few things here and there, traded the molded grab handles for brass wire ones. The fenders are kinda thick too, so I thinned the edges with the sanding drum.

h2caa4b6.JPG

h94c5047.JPG

hbf2800b.JPG

h8305ac8.JPG

The RB Model barrel is too cool and a definite improvement over the plastic kit part.

h97d688c.JPG

Everything is still loose, so I can install the tracks.

Like Bob says, it's shake and bake and that just happened!

h7fa3352.jpg

For discussion purposes, found this on the net.

h6831fce.jpg
com

I left the schuzen rails off so I can sand the filler on the sides.

I'll prime and base coat it next weekend, then build the link and length tracks and add the final parts. Thanks for coming by!

Neat thing about these little ones you don't get hung up on details and get into the painting quick. :popcorn

Thanks, guys! Since this is the late version, I have to move all the tools to the rear. Details, details! :frantic

Thanks, guys! Been going back and forth about a PE grille set for this, must resist, must resist. :laugh:

Thanks, guys! Been going back and forth about a PE grille set for this, must resist, must resist. :laugh:

Don't resist, it's futile :D

Personally I prefer the 1/35 because it allows for a ton of details. This should be interesting to watch, especially since I don't really do 1/48 and smaller - armor that is.

Great stuff Mike (y)

Laurence

Thanks, Laurence! I feel the same way, I really don't care for the smaller scale and this may be my first and last 1/48 build. The Hauler PE set would take a couple weeks to get here (that geographical oddity thing again) and that would cut things too close to the deadline. More to come...

I have a question Mike, the left cooling fan on the engine deck looks different than what I've seen on other panthers and jagdpanthers.... What's up with that???

:idonno

That is a heating unit for the crew compartment,unique to the later versions. I have to admit I have not researched the change yet,but used the kit parts to the late version livery.

Back