• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Italeri 6488 Jagpanzer IV Barrel wrong size?

Tankbuilder

Hi there.

I have the 1/35 scale Italeri Sd.Kfz.182 Jagpanzer IV Ausf.F kit number 6488. It has a turned metal barrel in it. However, to me the muzzle end of that barrel looks to be quite small - more like I'd expect a 5.0cm gun barrel to be.

Does anyone here know for sure if the gun barrel in the Italeri kit is the right size?

Thanks and cheers

If the turned metal expects you to put styrene brake on, then it is done for ease of assembly and not meant to replicate a 7,5cm gun... a photo would help.

Regards,

If the turned metal expects you to put styrene brake on, then it is done for ease of assembly and not meant to replicate a 7,5cm gun... a photo would help.

Regards,

Here's an image with three 7.5cm gun barrels = the Italeri 7.5cm L48, the Tamiya 7.5cm anti-tank & Tamiya 7.5cm L70. Note the step from the muzzle brake from the rear of the metal barrel is not smooth.

had953bd.JPG

I think the metal barrel is too small where it joins the muzzle brake. What's the opinion of others reading this?

Thanks and cheers

Personally I think it's a fair representation, don't let anyone with calipers get close to it. Paint it up on a bitchin' build and let's see what it looks like then.

Personally I think it's a fair representation, don't let anyone with calipers get close to it. Paint it up on a bitchin' build and let's see what it looks like then.

Looks like you might be right. I just found a video on You Tube that has some reasonably good footage in it that shows a definite step from the muzzle brake to the gun barrel itself. Here's a screen-capture of it.

h66f2819.jpg

The barrel might be a bit thin at the beginning of the muzzle brake but I can live with it.

Thank and cheers.

If you are that worried about it, you could always just replace the barrel with one from RB models or Voyager or Orange Hobby. I think it looks fine though. :woohoo:

One thing to keep in mind on your comparison, these barrels are three different guns, they probably don't really look the same in real life either.

Mike

Back