• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Breaking up with Testors Dullcote

SpitfireGuy

Well Dullcote has been on my bench for as long as I have modeled (roughly 24 years as an on and off builder) but it is soon to go way of almost every other testors product that I once used.

I am finding that as I use more subtle finishing techniques that Dullcote is just too hot and has a tendency to eat through my finished to the base coat. On my current P-40 project the stuff ate right through the neautral grey on the underside to the black base coast and pretty well ruined the black basing and fading I had done. It's not unrecoverable but it is a headache I don't need.

I discovered long ago that dullcote eats Alcad II as well. I am currently starting to play with the Mr. Paint line and I am not sure how dullcote will react with them but ultimately I beliveve it is time to breakup with Testors once more.

So to Dullcote I say "its not me...its you....don't let the door hit you in your flat non-reflective a** on the way out"

Zach

Zach, I have been using Dull coat for the past 8 years but I cut it 50/50 with Tamiya X-20A. I dont have the problem that you mentioned. I shoot it over Vallejo model air with no probs except I wind up sticking my finger or thumb in it a couple of time. :blink

Well Zach , the only question that comes to my mind is what will you replace it with ?

Cheers, Christian B)

have you thought about Alcad II Klear Kotes? Alcad II , I've been thinking about them but at the moment I'm chewing through my MM Clear laquers and Floquil Flat finish.

The other question is are you airbrushing it or are you shooting it from a rattle can? I use it from the big bottle and mix it (kind of thick) with the Testors red label airbrush thinner. Then airbrush it on lightly. I have found it to blend the stark weathering and edges and tone things down. Have not had any trouble with it reacting with anything. I wouldn't spray it over any kind of a metalizer though just because I know as an enamel it would affect a metalizer paint. Those have to be coated with something special to be compatible.

To answer the questions. I have used it out of the bottle and the rattle can but the most adverse results have been from the rattle can.

As to an alternative I have some of the Alcad II Klear Kote that I use for my NMF finishes and I tried it out last night and it worked nicely and I find it to be flatter than the Dullcote which i have always found still has some sheen to it.

Zach

Personally, I've only used Testors Dullcote twice in all the years I've been modeling and I only used it for RC hulls that will sit in water for long periods of time.

My old flat coat method was Future with Tamiya Flat base. My new one is the Vallejo Matte and Satin Poly varnishes. Since I only use Vallejo now, I stick within the brand to avoid any issues.

I have no idea why you guys mention having issues with the Dullcote . I have never had any issues with it and it's dead flat (y)

Takes a bit more effort to clean the airbrush but it's not bad . Very durable finish .

On the other hand I have used the Tamiya method and the vallejo matt varnish . They both work but they do lighten the color coats because of the white color . Something that Dullcote does not do .

I will miss the Testor product. Cheers, Christian B)

Why will you miss the Dullcoat product Christian? It isn't being discontinued, Zach has just been having problems with it and decided to not use it anymore.

The way people are talking about Testor's it sounds like it will all disappear . I hope that's not correct.
Cheers, C. B)

Back