• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Best way 2 correct a 1/28 scale wing warp?

Tankbuilder

I've been looking at my Revell 1/28 scale SPAD WW1 aircraft kit. The wings are one piece each which means they are pretty thick and thus highly resisatant to warpage. Unfortunately Revell for some strange reason gave the upper winga bit of dihedral whereas the SPAD had perfectly straight upper wing. This kit dihedral is extremely noticeable, 1/4" or 5mm from wing center to wing tip, and needs to be removed.

What's the best way to straighten this top wing? Would a hair dryer be a better method than say really hot water? How would any of you do this?

Thanks and cheers from Peter

Is the wing shaped like a V. With a clear point where the warping happens or is it curved along the width of the wing?
If it's a V I would cut it at the V and fill it back in with the correct dihedral.

I'm no AC builder, so hopefully you'll get better advice, but if you're not dealing with a post manufacture warpage, but a design flaw, it probably would be best to cut and patch to correct the dihedral. That way you'd be certain of doing both sides equally and wouldn't be distorting a mass of styrene with heat.

I'll echo Bob. If it is a curve then steam and put on flat surface with weights so it is flat and then run under cold water to make it retain the shape. Redo until its proper.
If it is a built in dihederal the cut almost through the center from the top of the wing. Put on flat surface add weights and then use scrap plastic to back fill the notch. When dry sand to shape.
James

If it is a built in dihederal the cut almost through the center from the top of the wing.

Agreed except I would do it to the bottom of the wing, less visible and less filling as you are closing a gap (created by sawing). Cutting from the top you are guaranteed a gap from the kerf of the saw plus that from removing the dihedral. The bottom is closing the gap on the kerf itself. You may get lucky and the kerf of the blade is exactly what was needed to close the gap!

Regards,

Thanks fellows. It's a design flaw in the kit. The kit has dihedral only on the upper wing fortunately but that winf should be straight.

Cheers from Peter

It would be nice if you knew how much to remove before you start cuting .

You might also need to plan on adjusting the lenght of the struts when you get to that point.

Cheers, Christian B)

It would be nice if you knew how much to remove before you start cuting .

You might also need to plan on adjusting the lenght of the struts when you get to that point.

Cheers, Christian B)

I've already measured the distance of the dihedral from the center of the wing and that'd be the amount the outer supports need to be shortened. The innermost supports will need to be shortened too but not as much. It's easy enough to measure them before attaching them to the lower wing. I'll just measure the amount of dihedral at each strut location. If I get really lucky I might b e able to just sand the upper and lower sections of the struts to a very thin section and get them short enough that way. At least revell made thestruts joined together at the top and bottom.

Cheers

Back