• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

PHOTO ETCH QUESTION

iambrb

Hey all, I have a question about WHEN ahouls you put photoetch on in the process of a build, as follows:

So I have like ZERO experience with this. In the course of building my neat little Academy CV9040 IFV, this kit comes with a few small bits ot PE, most notably over the grills that represent the entrance to the engine area (As an example, picture those circular grills behind the turret of, say a Tiger I or Panther). So my question is, WHEN do you put them on...in the course of the build, or just before paint? I keep thinking that I need to paint under them, then install and paint over, but is that making it too complicated? Am I just making all this overly complicated? This inquiring mind wants to know!!!

Seriously y'all, thanks in advance for your responses regarding this, just trying to pick up some "nuggets-O'-Knowledge"

I'm still fairly new to the PE thing, but I prefer to have a bond between the PE & plastic w/o a layer of paint between them. The only 2 exceptions to this for me would be if it is an elevated piece (that you can see the painted surface below) or if the particular bit of PE is prone to being broken off during assembly (antennas for example).

But that's my take. I'm sure the pros will chime in soon. ;)

Depends, like if it's a fan cover of course you want to paint the fan and the cover separately then add the PE part to the model. Like on the Bradley I have a couple of intakes that have grills. I painted under the grill black to give some depth then painted the grill the outside color, then put it in place. But if it's like a PE enhancement part, just stick it on and include in the over all paint job.

Basically whats been said/ If its kit PE then install when it says to unless its small and you know it will get knocked off while building. Some paint grates etc before some dont. I agree painting black befor adding piece adds depth.
James

Install PE as you assemble, you can always paint down inside with a quick spritz of the airbrush and the PE will bond better to plastic than paint. I like to use 3M Quick Dry adhesive whenever possible to adhere the PE, it dries clear and virtually invisible. It also holds really well on small and flat parts. Don't buy the tacky formula, that stuff sucks. Nothing says badass armor like a load of PE brass. B) :drinks

Roger that!

You can see the latest I have on the CV9040B that this thread relates to, am going to shoot to get tehm o this week, and we will see!

THANKS AND GOD BLESS ALL OF YA'!

Back