• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/32 Bf-109 V-14 at Dubendorf

Heavens Eagle

I picked up the mod kit earlier this year in Tulsa at the contest there. Just thought it was kind of something different and neat. I had a 1/32 Eduard 109 kit but decided that I didn't want to use that one and found an E3 ProfiPack kit at my local hobby shop.

Just setting this up for a place holder for now.

Here is the plane I intend to do.

h3785fb1.jpg

The history states this:

The Bf-109V-14 was first introduced to the world at the Dubendorf Air Races in 1937. This, along with the V-13, was the basis for the Bf-109E series. The V-13 and the V-14 were essentially identical aircraft except for the color, RLM63 for the former and Wine Red for the later. Besides being painted Wine Red, the B-14 was significant because it was flown by WWI ace, Ernst Udet. The colorful 109 made some early flights but was forced to ditch when the engine seized. Even though the V-14 crashed prior to the races the world was impressed with the fact that Udet walked away unscathed. The toughness of the little 109 impressed the Swiss enough that they ordered 80 Emiols the following year.
The V-13 went on to win the races and then set a new aircraft speed record beating that set by Howard Hughes.

Looks very cool. Would probably work with "A Day at the Races" campaign. No matter though it will be fun to follow along.
James

Thanks guys. There is still a bit of time left on this and I am not going to do much other than do the conversion. There are some other items I want to finish first so it is now in planning.

While they were fighter designs, they were set up as race planes. The V-13 had the surface filled and sanded smooth for the speed record. Also it will have minimal weathering. Only a little light wash to highlight the panel lines which it had for the Dubendorf race and exhaust and oil drippings.

I found this on the internet and it shows the plane with and without the number 6 on it.
Bf-109V-6D-ISLU-Ernst-Udet-Avions-189-Page-07.jpg

It will be interesting to build as there are some resin parts and some modifications to convert it. No engine will be showing but that is ok.

Here is another tidbit of info I ran across. From Flight magazine July 29, 1937, I highlighted the section that showed where Udet had to withdraw. (actually crashed)

Flight-Jul29-1937p114-h1.jpg

Back