Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The Four Horsemen. A History. 1978 to 2019

The Four Horsemen. A History. 1978 to 2019 28 Jun 2019 12:08 #13

Sherman 18 wrote:
Great stuff!

I think I had Paul Harvey say "Now you know the rest of the story." At the end :salute

Thanks Jeff!

I never thought of it that way! :-)

Bob

lupanzer wrote:
Simply, fantastic!... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...I remmenber that all Sunday nights of late 90´s , I was ordering to VLS...really, missing those days :oldguy :oldguy :oldguy

Luiz.

Thanks Luiz!

Sometimes I kinda miss those days as well. Thanks for being a good customer!

We all have to get old! :-)

Bob

The administrator has disabled public write access.

The Four Horsemen. A History. 1978 to 2019 28 Jun 2019 12:10 #14

Heavens Eagle wrote:
As many times as I have read that story Bob, it still amazes me. Thanks for sharing again!

Thanks Paul,

This time around, it was focused on the four of us.

Bob

JSteinman wrote:
What a great story! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks John,

I'm glad you liked it!

Bob

The Four Horsemen. A History. 1978 to 2019 28 Jun 2019 12:23 #15

ausf wrote:
I'm an avid reader of non-fiction, mostly historical WWII, but also biographical subjects of people who have made a difference, especially in subjects I like. There are many titles of extremely narrow lanes (Paul Blaisdell who did cheap effects for Roger Corman's B movies, Basil Gogos who did the cover art for Famous Monsters Of Filmland, the building of the original Star Trek Enterprise model for examples). Of course these are niche, but there are more widely known, notably the core group making 2001: A Space Odyssey.

One that hits on all levels is Master Modeler by Tamiya-san himself. I bought it when it was first published years ago and it is an excellent blend of insight, information and nostalgia as well as a look into the hobby we love.

I mention this, because the hint you provided above is not enough. Not even close. The modeling community needs a deep dive into this history as well as great success story for all.

Tome time Bob, tome time.

Thanks Jeff!

Mr. Tamiya sent me a copy of that book when it was published! Great book!

Friends all over the world have been telling me to write a book about all this stuff. I sure as hell have enough material and photos! I did a story about the museum on MA awhile back, and a friend who works at a printing company, downloaded the data from the file and had a half dozen copies made for himself. He sent me a set. It took two volumes and each were about 3/8 inches thick.

It gave me the idea to do something like that. I am pretty back to normal after the past illness and trying to catch up on the year and a half I lost. I am currently doing an article for the new Spanish magazine, "Dioramag". Putting together all that text and accompanying photos is not easy and very time consuming. I have to search for all the original images as they must be high definition for them to use.

My goals at this stage of my life is to finish Logistics, first and foremost. After that? Who knows, maybe the Tome you suggested. Kinda depends on how much longer I'll be around. You think about things like that at my age. I'd like to do a large book. We'll see.

Thanks again,

Bob

The Four Horsemen. A History. 1978 to 2019 28 Jun 2019 12:41 #16

"After that? Who knows, maybe the Tome you suggested. Kinda depends on how much longer I'll be around. You think about things like that at my age. I'd like to do a large book. We'll see."

That's my point. Get the first hand story now, not that you're going anywhere soon.

One of my favorites on NPR is David Isay's StoryCorps. They are interviews of people that are conducted by close associates, family members and such, a lot of grandchildren with WWII vets and the ilk. Just regular people in your town, etc with histories you'd never imagine. It all gets preserved into the Library Of Congress. It reminds me of the time I was in Home Depot and saw this older man shopping with a P-38 pin on his lapel. He was amazed I recognized it, I was amazed when his wife explained he was one of the pilots of that ferry flight that got stuck in the ice at the end of the war. She said, 'he'd never tell you that, but I will'. On the way home, I stopped at our local library and sure enough, I found photos of him, a teenager but absolutely him. That was at least 15 years ago, I'm sure he's passed by now and so does his incredible story.
  • ausf
  • ausf
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms
What, me worry?

The Four Horsemen. A History. 1978 to 2019 28 Jun 2019 13:29 #17

One correction, OUR site. Wouldn't be a website without you all posting. :mpup
I told you photobucket sucks...

"If you don't like it why don't you just let it be"
Hank Williams Jr.

The Four Horsemen. A History. 1978 to 2019 28 Jun 2019 15:11 #18

moon puppy wrote:
One correction, OUR site. Wouldn't be a website without you all posting. :mpup

That may be, but we all know who manages and runs it! We all use it, but in the end, you are the one with the responsibility!

Dad

The Four Horsemen. A History. 1978 to 2019 28 Jun 2019 15:14 #19

ausf wrote:
"After that? Who knows, maybe the Tome you suggested. Kinda depends on how much longer I'll be around. You think about things like that at my age. I'd like to do a large book. We'll see."

That's my point. Get the first hand story now, not that you're going anywhere soon.

One of my favorites on NPR is David Isay's StoryCorps. They are interviews of people that are conducted by close associates, family members and such, a lot of grandchildren with WWII vets and the ilk. Just regular people in your town, etc with histories you'd never imagine. It all gets preserved into the Library Of Congress. It reminds me of the time I was in Home Depot and saw this older man shopping with a P-38 pin on his lapel. He was amazed I recognized it, I was amazed when his wife explained he was one of the pilots of that ferry flight that got stuck in the ice at the end of the war. She said, 'he'd never tell you that, but I will'. On the way home, I stopped at our local library and sure enough, I found photos of him, a teenager but absolutely him. That was at least 15 years ago, I'm sure he's passed by now and so does his incredible story.

Well Jeff, I'll do my best! I'd love to do one more book, actually, I have had a couple of companies ask me to write one including Andrea publishing, who specializes in that kind of book!. We'll just have to wait and see.

Bob

The Four Horsemen. A History. 1978 to 2019 30 Jun 2019 01:44 #20

:thumbsup
Thank you for sharing that with us Bob and putting in the massive effort to create that post of model history. If the 4 of you, through all of your combined and individual dedication to modelling over these years, had not made this journey then, I truly believe that the art of model building would only be half as bright as it is in 2019.
Thank you for your bold endevours and on going where no modeller had gone before.
You guys built the stage, turned on the lights and wrote the script as far as I am concerned.

Regards
Ian.

The Four Horsemen. A History. 1978 to 2019 30 Jun 2019 09:44 #21

what an absalutely fantastic life story it is :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
  • SA Dave
  • SA Dave
  • Brigadier
    Brigadier

The Four Horsemen. A History. 1978 to 2019 02 Jul 2019 08:43 #22

Brokeneagle wrote:
:thumbsup
Thank you for sharing that with us Bob and putting in the massive effort to create that post of model history. If the 4 of you, through all of your combined and individual dedication to modelling over these years, had not made this journey then, I truly believe that the art of model building would only be half as bright as it is in 2019.
Thank you for your bold endevours and on going where no modeller had gone before.
You guys built the stage, turned on the lights and wrote the script as far as I am concerned.

Regards
Ian.

Ian, I was having this great time doing what I loved and just happened to be at the right place at the right time with the right people. That's what most people would call luck. Now in my december years, I have great memories. Young men accomplish things, old men remember things. I have some awesome memories and, fortunately, I have a great memory as well with which to enjoy them.

Thanks Mate!

Bob

The Four Horsemen. A History. 1978 to 2019 02 Jul 2019 08:44 #23

SA Dave wrote:
what an absalutely fantastic life story it is :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Thanks Dave,

I've been a very lucky guy!

Bob

The Four Horsemen. A History. 1978 to 2019 04 Jul 2019 10:45 #24

Also very much enjoyed reading the story Bob- and am glad I was invited here by Saúl years ago so I could get to interact here with you. My wife and I are on vacation with our kids here in Florida for the week and I swear I saw your doppleganger here on the beach during our morning walk. Had to do a double take ;)
  • Jeeves
  • Jeeves
  • Brigadier
    Brigadier
Mike

John 8:36
Big Daddy Modeler Blog
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds