• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Wings of the Red Star (2)- Ilyushin IL-2 Sturmovik

Flyingbabydoc

Hello everyone,

The best way to get over a bad kit is to do a good one, IMHO. Even better, try 3 since the 3rd is the charm.

I am starting now 3 Sturmoviks all in 1/72 from Academy with lots of Eduard PE. Two are single-seaters (my favorite) and one double-seater. At least one in summer Camouflage and the other in winter Camouflage, haven't made up my mind yet on the third.

So bare with me in trying to get at least one Russian aircraft (well) done.

Here is the first one: Academy 1/72 Ilyushin Il-2 Sturmovik "Valery Chkalov" flown in Estonia in 1944. PE from Eduard (this one without the flaps, next one with flaps open).

Cheers

Alex

h5a0b234.JPG

h863ef3c.JPG

he866068.JPG

ha7e5247.JPG

h6e56a4e.JPG

h92e26b8.JPG

h0a80cab.JPG

h375a43e.JPG

h341461d.JPG

h7dbdf60.JPG

h2240d8f.JPG

hdd36867.JPG

Thanks guys

Christian, I would really appreciate if you could send those profiles. Thanks!

I have a feeling this will be a good one.. :v

Now I am off to bed - did surgery from. 06;15 am until 13:10 now I am tired.... :java
Cheers

Alex

There is also a book that is not bad. At the moment it is less than $10.00 Canadian for the Kindle.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B016IPTRAO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51QehXMUpgL.jpg

James

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated!

James, I could only find this book in Germany for 60+€, even on Amazon. I will look for it whilst in Washington (Barnes and Nobles still exist, right? ;) )

Many thanks for the profiles Christian, they are very helpful! I love that Mig3 Website. Great info there.

I am happy with this one so far, even though with me it always "start great and then downhill from there". In any case, interior painting and weathering completed. What a pleasure it is to work with Academy after that Unimodel Nightmare...

Here some Pictures. Keep in mind Folks it is always 1/72...

Cheers

Alex

h06a5277.JPG

hcdd3cf7.JPG

h2c5db26.JPG

h356e0ff.JPG

hb75cc79.JPG

h8e17aaf.JPG

hc2dfda1.JPG

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated!

James, I could only find this book in Germany for 60+€, even on Amazon. I will look for it whilst in Washington (Barnes and Nobles still exist, right? ;) )

Many thanks for the profiles Christian, they are very helpful! I love that Mig3 Website. Great info there.

I am happy with this one so far, even though with me it always "start great and then downhill from there". In any case, interior painting and weathering completed. What a pleasure it is to work with Academy after that Unimodel Nightmare...

Here some Pictures. Keep in mind Folks it is always 1/72...

Cheers

Alex

I think the problem with the price Alex is because it can only be downloaded to a Kindle for $ 10 . The book is way more expensive.
I had thought of downloading it to my computer but I don't see that as an option either .

Your progress looks good :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

Ps. I have the same problem . My kits always look good till I take them out of the box :facepalm

Hi Christian

Even the Kindle Version was expensive. Actually I don't like Kindl very much - better the old felling of paper in the Hand.

You are being modest. Your models are amazing. Much better than in the box.

I am starting an YouTube series - how to screw up nice 1/72 kits. :bang head :bang head

Cheers

Alex

Hi Christian

Even the Kindle Version was expensive. Actually I don't like Kindl very much - better the old felling of paper in the Hand.

You are being modest. Your models are amazing. Much better than in the box.

I am starting an YouTube series - how to screw up nice 1/72 kits. :bang head :bang head

Cheers

Alex

I reflect your feeling about paper but I have to admit, if all the books I have on CD's ( and free ) had to be converted to paper , I would require a lot more shelving .

The reason I like Kindle is because I can listen to book while doing other things . They are also free through the public library .
I can purchase books though but that's through Amazon . That's why I was leaning towards a computer , so I could save it to a disk.

Probably not all that modest Alex . I have seen what some others have built .
I'm past the point of thinking I can achieve such perfection , therefore I don't have such lofty expectations .

I think you're doing just fine . Guess we could all follow your tribulations on Utube though > We all have those :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

Hello again

I had some free time (managed to finish my presentations for Washington way earlier than I thought) and got some more work done. It is a very interesting kit but the Eduard Fittings are as usual a bit complicated. All in all it is taking shape and it Looks better than the PE-2

here some pics

Cheers

Alex

hab0c3e2.JPG

h466625e.JPG

h1e172d1.JPG

hc41d952.JPG

hab04c0f.JPG

hf38a741.JPG

h2db76d0.JPG

hb68b5e2.JPG

Yeah the books are very expensive but getting the kindle edition is cheap. I read novels now from kindle and kobo on my tablet but every now and again i'll get a ref for it. It was just a thought.
James

James, it was an excellent idea! I really want to read that book. I just try to avoid screens in my free time, since when I am not operating I am working on the computer.
Many thanks for pointing that book out!
Cheers
Alex

Excellent Alex, I'm really enjoying this build, your painting and weathering is just so good and its what a 1/72 needs to bring it to life. :popcorn

Back