• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Stiletto - finished

Impisi

Well my pile of the more different if not to say weird things does not end, it seams

This will be next, the Douglas X-3, the test aeroplane which does not deliver much if anything, it was not very fast, it was not good to be flown, it was not flown often and was stored away soon ... so as a testbed it failed but it does look real smart I think.

00-Boxart.jpg

it is the old Revell Box Scale, which means something 1/64 to 66. I bought this together with the X-15 already partly finished and as with the x-15 the guy who sold me both did not bother with any cockpit, it is just empty. Well he did not miss a lot here because there are only two parts for the pit, so ... smooth the windows in and give em a nice dark semi transparent greenisch look - somehow

This is where I am at the moment, filling and sanding the thing
Making-Of-210406-2045-20210406-204540-004.jpg

Making-Of-210406-2045-20210406-204546-003.jpg

ah yes, it comes with a nice tow tractor with a figure

Making-Of-210406-2045-20210406-204551-002.jpg

Making-Of-210406-2046-20210406-204602-001.jpg

And this, you've guessed it, this is one of the two parts of the pit, so I won't use it as I dont want to break this thing open just because of this

For that inclcuded tractor also a figure is given
Making-Of-210407-2011-20210407-201137-001.jpg

The figure itself does not look that bad but I think it looks strange what it is holding there - looks like a tea table or something. It for sure is thought to be the steering wheel, at least that's what I assume - this can't stay as it is ...

Kinda weird to think the folks who created the DC3 moved into the world of high speed test beds.

Knock that table off that guy and give him something he can steer with! :popcorn

If anything you can use it as a self defense weapon. At least it looks cool and breaks the rule that if it looks good it will fly good. And speaking of DC-3's, one flew over my house on my birthday Saturday. Every time I see one I wonder if it will be the last time. It's such a great plane that they will probably out live me. I regret not ever building one. Gary S. XLV MMXXIV

I didn't think the X-3 had poor flying qualities for an experimental airplane, rather it was just another victim of Westinghouse's early jet engines. It couldn't go fast enough to do the research it was intended for, which was sustained high speed flight and the problems associated with that. Not that it was any Piper Cub, it like the X-2 and D-558 II was built before inertial coupling was understood because up to that point no one had flown an airplane that had that issue. George Welch's crash in the F-100 was due to inertial coupling. The X-3 would have been the bomb with J-57's, right?

I didn't think the X-3 had poor flying qualities for an experimental airplane, rather it was just another victim of Westinghouse's early jet engines. It couldn't go fast enough to do the research it was intended for, which was sustained high speed flight and the problems associated with that. Not that it was any Piper Cub, it like the X-2 and D-558 II was built before inertial coupling was understood because up to that point no one had flown an airplane that had that issue. George Welch's crash in the F-100 was due to inertial coupling. The X-3 would have been the bomb with J-57's, right?
I was going to ask you to briefly explain inertial coupling, but I think I'll just look it up. Thanks, Gary S. XLV

Last edited:
Thanks a lot ya all, and yes it is perhaps not that bad as I said, but from what I've read it was not the most popular experimental aircraft of that time and its flying characteristics were not the best. Yes the X-3 suffered by inertial coupling but at first it was not recognized as such, later the X-3 collected data for that. Simplyfied inertial coupling is instability when rolling like a gyroscopic effect, i.e. the tendency of the fuselage, when rolled rapidly, to swing away from the direction of flight. The F-100 and the F-102 had problems with that.

anyway - meanwhile I did cut away the tea table and added some minor addon to the tractor

Making-Of-210408-1950-20210408-195058-002.jpg

Making-Of-210408-2016-20210408-201650-001.jpg

that will do

This brings back some fond memories! I did not know the Stiletto helped develop the Starfighter's wing, either!

Interesting. For something that "failed", you can see a whole lot of F-104 Starfighter in that plane, particularly in the wings

So Strange, got a youtube suggestion for a video about the Stietto. Coincidence?

well, Bob, big Brother is watching, he takes care of you, he offers what ever he may finds you will need, don't worry he is watching over you, you cant fail cause he is there to guide you

2001_ODYSSEE_DE_LESPACE-1180x800.jpg

:bigrin:

Back