• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Duke's Rising Red Stars...

Duke Maddog

Okay, here are my submissions for this Red Star Rising Group Build:

Red_Star_GB_I.JPG

These are two 1/72 scale Russian helicopters I'd gotten from a friend after I'd helped him out at his warehouse. These two Russian kits have horrid instructions, (I'll need to post pics of them!) but are otherwise good little kits. This first one is the Russian Mi-6, (I got to get the code names for these!) It is fully assembled and ready for the landing gear after I get it sanded and smoothed out. There is no interior to this model, so I spray painted the interior black. Some of the grey on the outside is the overspray from that:

WIP_Mi6_I.JPG

This next one is the Russian Mi-10, their version of our CH-54 Skycrane. Again, no interior, or so I thought, but then I found it. Once you see pics of the instruction sheet, you'll know why I didn't realize there was one! Anyway, you see a lot more overspray from my painting the interior black on this one:

WIP_Mi10_I.JPG

Both of these models come with civilian registry decals, but I'm going to be making them military birds using spare decals from my decals box.

That's all I got so far. Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

Duke,

Are they the 1/100th scale VEB Plasticart kits form East Germany? A-Model has an Mi-6 in 1/72nd scale but the price is really up there. Supposedly they will release the long an short leg versions of the Mi-10 if the Hook shows promising sales.

Regards,

According to the info I got; these two helos are in 1/72 scale. At least I hope so; I want all my collection in 1/72 scale. I'll build them, since I've already started, but I'll be trying to get them again in 1/72 if they are not. Man I hate this!

I've seen the A-Model kit of the Mi-6 Hook too. It looked to be the same size as this one. My friend got these while he was traveling in Russia, they are the from the Modelbaukasten company.

Hey everyone. I've been slowly plugging along on these two big birds for this Group Build. I have managed to get them almost all assembled, and even got paint on one.

Here is the Mi-10 Hook. I've got it almost completely assembled; all that's left is the crane operator's booth below the cockpit. Otherwise, this bird is finished. It was a real bear trying to figure out the way those landing gear struts were supposed to go!

WIP_Mi10_Hook_II.JPG

The Mi-6 Harke was much easier. I got the landing gear on it and then proceeded to give it the first basecoat:

WIP_Mi6_Harke_III.JPG

You can see the X-acto blade there for size reference. This puppy is a real horse! Biggest helicopter I ever build. I can't wait to get an Mi-26 Halo!

Okay, that's my progress so far on this Group Build. Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

Thanks guys. Yeah, The Mi 6 actually is used as an airliner in some parts of Russia. This one will be painted camo for a military bird, as is the Mi-10.

My 1/100th scale Mi-6 Hook was done in Peruvian air Force colors.

You are a machine!

Regards,

Thanks Saul. I should be done pretty soon. It was tough trying to figure out the instructions, but now that they are both assembled, the rest is all downhill.

Thats a cool chopper. Now all they have to do is make one in 1/32 or 1/35 and I'm there.
James

Here's my update on my two helicopters for this campaign. I have them both camouflaged now. All that's left is to detail paint them and then decal them up. Time to dig into my decal stash...

The Mi-6 Harke:

WIP_Mi6_Harke_IV.JPG

The Mi-10 Hook:

WIP_Mi10_Hook_III.JPG

I may get done with this one pretty quick now. Thanks all for looking in.

Thanks Dusan! I do like building the interesting subjects. Considering I've built everything else already!

Well, I'm done with these two helicopters. Now I'll have to get a table top big enough to get some decent pics of them for this site. Stay tuned.

Back