• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

SILENT RUNNING - books & additional help/ questions for U-boats

Cant help on the conning tower modification and different decks and AA guns ,that means i have re read the books and simply dot have the time
Got plenty other books to read .

If you got particular boot numbers mail me and i will see if i can find pictures of them
PM me

Regarding the deck guns From June 1943 the Atlantic-boats had there deck gun removed ,The boats in the Mediterranean and Northern Sea kept their guns for a few months longer. some of the VIIC boats in the Baltic got their guns back in the summer of 1944 .
And the Monsoon U boats Patrolling the indian ocean and south east asia kept there deck guns.

Type IV bridges , look for boats that where still in action from late 1943 on wards

Checking out the Monsoon boats you find a few with the bigger bridges and deck guns

Here are he content pages of all the U boot im focus ....so far 19 volumes
So you can see what's in it ,below left you see the volume number , U boot im focus 001.JPGU boot im focus 002.JPGU boot im focus 003.JPGU boot im focus 004.JPGU boot im focus 005.JPGU boot im focus 006.JPGU boot im focus 007.JPGU boot im focus 008.JPGU boot im focus 009.JPGU boot im focus 010.JPGU boot im focus 011.JPGU boot im focus 012.JPGU boot im focus 014.JPGU boot im focus 015.JPGU boot im focus 016.JPGU boot im focus 017.JPGU boot im focus 018.JPGU boot im focus 019.JPGU boot im focus 020.JPG

Last edited:
Cant help on the conning tower modification and different decks and AA guns ,that means i have re read the books and simply dot have the time

If you got particular boot numbers mail me and i will see if i can find pictures of them

Regarding the deck guns From June 1943 the Atlantic-boats had there deck gun removed ,The boats in the Mediterranean and Northern Sea kept their guns for a few months longer. some of the VIIC boats in the Baltic got their guns back in the summer of 1944 .
And the Monsoon U boats Patrolling the indian ocean and south east asia kept there deck guns.

Type IV bridges , look for boats that where still in action from 1944 on wards

Checking out the Monsoon boats you find a few with the bigger bridges and deck guns

So you can see what's in it ,below left you see the volume number ,
Thank you for those scans etc Maarten. I really appreciate that. I bought no 11 tonight from there home page just on the content of the flak guns. Now that you have supplied the index pages I can be more sure of what I am buying.
cheers mate :coolio2: :dude::vgood::tens:

Last edited:

Email removed

Type IV bridges , look for boats that where still in action from 1944 on wards

So you can see what's in it ,below left you see the volume number ,
Piet, you might want to edit your account where we can private message you and remove your email from your post to avoid spammers. I already did in this reply.

Thank you for those scans etc Maarten. I really appreciate that. I bought no 11 tonight from there home page just on the content of the flak guns. Now that you have supplied the index pages I can be more sure of what I am buying.
cheers mate :coolio2: :dude::vgood::tens:
Ian, you might want to edit your post to remove the email address as well.

It is never a good idea to post an email address in the open as the hackers and spammers will make unworkable.

Back again with more UBoat stuff.
I fully realise that there has been a lot of info posted up here initially but I needed to get it down in writing and see if someone could assist. As a result Maarten has me a real info boost and I have a number of the UBoats in Focus issues on the way from Germany.
In the meantime I have decided to add another early Mk7 to the build list. A Mk7D, which was a minelayer version based on the early Mk7C platform but extended in overall length and 'sported' a special, above deck container, that could release up to 5 mines. I will model this one as a full hull on a stand, running the early tower. Apparently only 6 were built.

Another build will be U-664 which will be a Mk7 C mid war U-Boat
So this one will be my second diorama build for this series utilising a spare MK7C/41 front hull section with a 'salvaged' early slotted deck from the MkC7 early kit that I am replacing with a real wood (lazer cut) deck from Nautilus Models for the U-235 build. I will also use a spare Pontos wooden deck overlay over the top of the plastic deck to give it some 'Zing'.
Here is a photo that I have of U664 in combat (after being hit). For a more detailed explanation of the interesting points associated with this particular UBoat that lead me to choose it as a build [because of the 'in-between' features].
To stay up-to-date with this build and the research involved please see my article blog for build 8 here:
U-664ASW6-5-43Photo4.jpg

Last edited:
My recent research has found some really interesting U-Boats and one that I will definately be modelling is U-218.
This was the last of only 6 Mk7D subs built. The D was a minelaying variant of the Mk7C series and all were built in the early period of the war, utilising the slotted deck design and small tower of the 7C ,with a hull exstension added in the middle, starting around the Conning Tower and extending to the rear. This exstension enabled the addition of a spine mounted dispersal 'cabinet', running at a height just under the tower's rear platform and continuing the length of the added deck section, then tapering-off at the end, where the original hull joined. There was an additional dispersal cabinet directly underneath on the bottom of the hull exstension as well.
Here is what U-218 looked like in its early days......
U281 early.jpg

Here you can see the mine container along the spine.......

So, what makes U-218 really interesting is how it changed as the war went on. I then found out that the only Type 7D to survive to the end of the war was U-218.
Because she was built and launched in 1941, we know that the boat was an early style design with the early tower. I was really excited when I found a picture of the boat in 1945, probably during her surrender with all the late mods applied to this early design U-boat.
U218web.jpg

This is truly a rare find for a U-BOAT photo and will make a great build subject for an unusual late war U-Boat.
To stay up-to-date with this build and the research involved please see my article blog for build 16 here:

U-235
Another interesting U-boat due to the 'rareness' of the design combination [and actually finding a photo] is U-235.
This is a very late, early style U-Boat, having been built during 1942 and completed in November of that year, it spanned the period of the deck design change, from 'slotted' wood to 'Plank style construction. Because it is still just before the 'hard core' conversion period, it seemed to have missed the early Turm 2 mods to the tower and of course the 1943 Turm 4 modifications, as well as retaining the deck gun. So you have an early style Mk7C boat with a late production style deck.
There would have been a few other Mk7C's that fell into this timeframe but photos of these are notoriously hard to find.
U-235
U235WEB.jpg

Last edited:
Back again with more hardcore sub stuff.........:eyeroll:well, I hope it comes accross that way because I have been spending all my spare time researching the builds and their details:hmm: :bat.
To view the updated table of details, please see the post called THE BUILD LIST.
From the table above, the following photos show some of the boats up to No 19 type 9D 2.
Each of these subs has different details that make each one unique that is not easily recognisable if you don't know U-Boats. Over multiple posts for each build I will descibe each boat's differences and how they will be modelled (over the next decade of my life!:blinkblinko_O).
10.JPGu-509.jpgu-217web.jpgU235 PLANK DECK.JPGU-664web.jpgu172wFUMO.JPGU-505,_4_June_1944_(80-G-49172).jpgu802dpartenmission.jpgu516 (2).jpgU218.JPGu190web.jpg0f3c812e7776f636727bec1a71328d0e.jpg
The reference that has really boosted my knowledge and level of 'detail' understanding are these absolute 'must have ' free PDF technical articles written by many researchers at Accurate Model Parts but mainly Doug Martindale. The level of detail in these is just amazing and I can only compare it to the highest level tank and plane books made specifically for the modeller - but these are free.
If you are interested in hardcore U-Boat detailing through all the variants you can download these excellent docs from here
https://amp.rokket.biz/lib_uboats.shtml
I highly recomend this page as it also has aftermarket model parts as well as info.
Ian.

Last edited:
I saw that someone , I think Das Werks has come out with a dry dock for the WWI sub. Looks like laser cut wood. About 4 foot long. If you check Andys Hobby Headquarters youtube site I think he is building it.
James

I saw that someone , I think Das Werks has come out with a dry dock for the WWI sub. Looks like laser cut wood. About 4 foot long. If you check Andys Hobby Headquarters youtube site I think he is building it.
James
Thanks for the 'heads-up' James. I checked it out and Uschi does it. Looks good thogh i may just put mine on a stand -not sure yet. Here is a photo of the product.
dock2.thumb.jpg.e76d9e3cfef60a0edff4ace2c2c9b805.jpg

Back