• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

RPM T-60

Ken Abrams

Joining in with this kit, something I picked up on eBay for cheap money during the covid lockdowns when I was bored and 'click n shipping' all sorts of stuff to my house...

I've been on an old kit kick for a while now. I found myself missing the days of my youth when I just built these things strictly for enjoyment and didn't get myself worked up over the details. The plastic is soft like a bar of soap and the photo etch is flimsy and thin as a piece of paper, reminiscent of something made in a garage. (No disrespect to the guys who make their own PE in their garage 😉)

KIMG1957~2.JPG

KIMG1954.JPG

Step one is the entire side of the instructions, the plastic assembly is only a small part of it and the rest is all the photo etch. I'll leave the road wheels and suspension off until I'm done with the PE.

KIMG1959~2.JPG

KIMG1960~2.JPG

I jumped ahead to step three to assemble the turret. Pretty straight forward stuff, even the PE is super simple flat panels.

KIMG1961~2.JPG
KIMG1962~2.JPG

Next up is the fenders, which are goin to be a little challenging. If I stuff them up I have the plastic ones to fall back on.

I may get a turned brass barrel and horn I found on eBay for it as the main gun is pretty rough on plastic.

Thanks is for looking.

Last edited:
Another kit from Russia. Looking good so far Ken! Keep up the good work. Brass is easy to work with if you know a few tricks. I am sure your fenders will be just fine.

Looks Good GIF.gif

Brass is easy to work with if you know a few tricks.

This is true! My favorite trick is to avoid it completely whenever I can! 🤣

Okay so for this next update I continue on with the photo etch.

As I mentioned earlier, this stuff is paper thin and even just removing it from the fret can twist it up making the removal of the little nubs left behind a little tricky.

KIMG1981~2.JPG

I clamp the parts in the Bug™ and use a sanding stick to clean them up.

KIMG1984~2.JPG

KIMG1985~2.JPG

With a little delicate handling and a few rolls on the knife handle they look pretty clean.

KIMG1982~2.JPG

KIMG1983~2.JPG

Of course, my favorite thing about PE fenders is banging the crap out of them, so they don't stay so neat looking for very long!

KIMG1986~2.JPG

KIMG2089~2.JPG

KIMG2090~2.JPG

They look good and beat up now, as do the stowage boxes and stuff, so I decided to start the tracks.

I originally planned on using the kit tracks, while not great, the individual links were simplified but didn't really look that bad...

KIMG2092~2.JPG

The lengths however were horrible...

KIMG2093~2.JPG

This meant sourcing some aftermarket. I pondered metal tracks for a bit, found a few sets but ultimately decided to get a set of Techmod plastic individual links.

KIMG2104.JPG

Not the best quality but cheap as heck and super fast shipping so I was off to the races.

In between assembling those tiny, tedious track links I found myself doing other tasks to keep from goin crazy.

eBay had this little gem so I had to pull the trigger, so much nicer than the kit part!

KIMG2088~2.JPG

I also shaped up this quick base in between track links...

KIMG2087~2.JPG

Looking at walk arounds of these little tanks and wow, they were covered in really rough welds. I started with the turret plates and some putty. I'll use stretched sprue for the weld beads on the tank itself.

KIMG2210.JPG

Now, those tracks!

One side done, doesn't look half bad. Too much sag? Meh, I don't care I like how it looks!
KIMG2206.JPG

Of course it wouldn't be complete without a figure, or three...

Evolution miniatures are such great quality, and this set is perfect.

KIMG2209.JPG

So that's where I am! I know that was a lot, life's been super hectic so I just keep track as I go and then dump it all here when I can.

Thanks for anyone looking, see you on the next photo dump 😂

Last edited:
Very nice work Ken! :good:

When I am working on PE, I use a small 1200 grit diamond hone/file. It is hard and stiff and so fine that it doesn't catch on the PE hardly at all. It works great for removing the nubs.

Nice work. I can't imagine the conversation the crew is having. "Okay comrades. You see that barn over that that look like it moving?" "Ya." "That's no barn. That's a Tiger tank. We don't shoot at those." "Why?" "Because it just makes them mad."

It’s been ten whole months since I updated this! I’m guessing the group build may be over at this point, so to those with powers, feel free to move this thread if that’s the case.

So let’s pick up where I left off.

Tracks! Here’s a set of photos showing how they are dry fit and removable for separate painting.

KIMG2211.JPG
KIMG2212.JPG
KIMG2213.JPG
KIMG2214.JPG
KIMG2215.JPG
KIMG2216.JPG
KIMG2217.JPG
KIMG2218.JPG

The next thing I decided to tackle was the hatches, they are molded with the hinges in the closed position so in order to put the figures in the hatches i had to address this.

After carefully gluing only the small hinge piece, I cut the rest if the hatch off at the hinges edge. This would allow me to reposition the hatches in the open position.

KIMG2830.JPG
KIMG2831.JPG
KIMG2832.JPG

With this done I went back to working on the base. Using thinned PVA glue I attached some shredded seaweed balls for the ground cover and some sand/dirt/gravel for the road bed. Once I was happy with the coverage I painted it using Mr. Surfacer mahogany.

KIMG2871.JPG
KIMG2879.JPG
KIMG2884.JPG

Once the primer was dry I began applying lighter shades of buff, yellow and deck tan to the grass and picking out random stones in the roadway with various earth tones, this really helps the stones to pop off the surface and give a lot of random detail to the roadbed.

KIMG2886.JPG
KIMG2887.JPG

Okay that’s a lot to dump in here, I did start painting the tank and figures but I’ll cover that in the next update. Let’s just hope that doesn’t take me another ten months!

Thanks for looking, questions and critiques are always welcome.

I’m guessing the group build may be over at this point, so to those with powers, feel free to move this thread if that’s the case.
Yeah I got some maintenance I need to do on the forum. We got a lot of old stuff, just remember, you get what you pay for! :rotf

Interesting on the tracks. Nice work!

Love the base! :popcorn

Back