• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Roden Opel 3.6-47 DAK Omnibus Kubel Paint 3/5/22

Roden Opel 3.6-47 DAK Omnibus Update 02-02-2020

Thanks guys! The wooden benches were severely lacking in detail (very faint attempt at slats) but I didn't see the need to fix that since you won't see them again. Definitely going to add a few items inside, have some ideas for the outside to trick it up.

Thanks for coming by!

:drinks

Roden Opel 3.6-47 DAK Omnibus Update 02-16-2020

So work on the bus has been slow going, some of the kit parts are very lacking and some are very finicky. The roof rack broke in three places, despite handling with extreme caution. :pinch: SO, I added some braces to hold it up while drying and a few extra supports.

h07afdaa.JPG

hb5dc6fe.JPG

I decided to add a jerry can rack, the kit part is OK and has a padlock molded on it, but I wanted a little more character. I soldered up some leftover brass PE sprue and a piece of brass strip to make one. The water can is from Great Wall Hobby.

h36d0a99.JPG

h9dbe5cd.JPG

There's still a pile of details to add, the front jerry can is just mocked up for pictures. Going to try to lay down some base coat next weekend.

Thanks for coming by, much more to come.

Very interesting! Neet-O soldered rack! I hope a whole bunch of Bedouins don't climb up on top of your bus.
:ro:
(y)

Looking good Mike . Wonder what awaits that huge luggage rack :woohoo:

Cheers, Christian B)

Really looking good Mike. Really like it.
James

Very nice! At least you had a plastic roof rack! Mine was P/E and quite the hassle to attach!

Beautiful work so far!

Thanks guys! The bus has been a challenge, but fun. More to come this weekend.

Not much of an update, I added a few details and shot the gray base coat.

h9553050.JPG

h22e350b.JPG

h951629d.JPG

h47f36b8.JPG

I'm a little concerned about handling the bus too much while removing the color coat with the hair spray method, there's no good way to grab this thing. I may have to get creative. :hmmm

Thanks for coming by!

Such A cool project I really really like this.

As to a holder, a friend said the following on FB. If you look at the JT thread you can see it in action.

“ A while back someone asked me about the handle I use while building and painting my models. Recently I have seen some complex contraptions to fullfull this need so I thought I'd give ya'll a better look at my solution. The one with the hull mounted on it is over ten years old and gets used constantly. It was made from an old RAM GPS mount. Recently I discovered I could buy the parts on Amazon so I built a new one today. The center clamp is one part and the two 1 inch ball mounts on either end are ordered separately. I simply screwed it to a 4" wooden disk. It's very very stable even with the model locked at odd angles. Best of all it was only about 25 dollars worth of parts. Two small screws secures the model.
Parts are as follows:
RAM Composite Double Socket Arm
RAM Diamond Ball Base
iBOLT 25mm / 1 inch Composite AMPS Round Adapter Plate”

I like the Bus. It is unlike anything else I've seen you build! Endless possibilities for the roof rack! :good:

Thanks guys! Yes, it's not my usual, but it's good to branch out occasionally. More stuff to add and yes, the roof rack will not be bare.

It really is a cool project and it gives me ideas! That bus resembles the bus in the movie, "Where Eagles Dare", with Eastwood and Burton. It is an Opel bus and I believe so was the one in the movie. Not certain, the red one has some different parts here and there, is minus the luggage rack, but, looks like it could be easily modified, and a snow plow would be easy to scratch!.

20124814253_Graf__Stift_OGW_120_3.jpg

20124814224_Graf__Stift_OGW_120_1.jpg

Just a thought!

Anyway, following this build Mike, a really fun project! to watch!

Bob

Back