• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

PBY-5A Catalina, Golden Pelican from VP-44

Finally got around to start applying the PE deatil to the floats today!

10yr8.JPG

It is a biggie!

Build the big one Paul! Come on, you know you want to!!!

😈😈😈

LOL! Yeah there is an interest, and I do have the HPH kit with the 1 meter wingspan (39 inches) I just don't think I am quite ready to start that massive a project yet, at least before finishing a few. I am planning on starting a NEW 1/32 kit though once I get done with my current build.

LOL! Yeah there is an interest, and I do have the HPH kit with the 1 meter wingspan (39 inches) I just don't think I am quite ready to start that massive a project yet, at least before finishing a few. I am planning on starting a NEW 1/32 kit though once I get done with my current build.

I'm just egging you on Paul because I know you have it! Build it when you are ready, it's going to be awesome!

That's the thing Warren, I want it to be Awesome, not a Shelf Queen. It also will need a lot of new skills. Best to start off with something a little smaller and less involved. Say a SB2C-4 Helldiver in 1/32. Or one of the other more basic HPH kits they have.

That's the thing Warren, I want it to be Awesome, not a Shelf Queen. It also will need a lot of new skills. Best to start off with something a little smaller and less involved. Say a SB2C-4 Helldiver in 1/32. Or one of the other more basic HPH kits they have.
Basic HPH kit? Isn't that an oxymoron?

So, time is running out on this and I don't feel I'll be able to complete this build as I planned.
Would anyone care if I did an about face and build a different version with a similar kit?

was thinking a Golden Pelican from VP-44 and try to focus on the exterior.

consolidated-pby-5a-catalina-ens-jack-reid-vp-44-battle-of-midway-june-1942.jpg

Someone was selling a PBY at my last club meeting. The hull and upper wing were assembled but it had a terrible paint job so I broke it down again and gave it an oven cleaner treatment.

This is after a few blasts of cleaner to remove the paint

IMG_4245.JPG

and then I went at it with a shark knife and some brute force!

Could only get the 5 piece wing down to 2 parts without causing serious damage

IMG_4246.JPG

But the fuselage and interior came apart pretty well!

IMG_4247.JPG

Looking great to me so far. I don't mind at all. Bring it on.

At least you got something going for this. I didn't even get to start anything. I was so hoping to have that banner too. Oh well. Life goes on.

Got the main wing back together. Had to fix an alignment issue.

IMG_4249.JPG

Most of the fuselage came apart fairly easy. Must have been the glue used by the previous owner.

IMG_4250.JPG

Repainted the interior a more suitable green

IMG_4251.JPG

IMG_4252.JPG

A few close ups.

IMG_4253.JPG

IMG_4254.JPG

IMG_4255.JPG

Back