• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

RMS TITANIC 1/350 Academy/Minicraft and some PE

dollar19

Here we go! I going to attempt to render this build as commemoration of the 100th Anniversary of the ships launching, maiden voyage and untimely tragic sinking.

I'm planning a mantle piece display model with some PE from Goldmetal Models and Tom's Modelworks. Most of the PE will be added as I go and as my budget allows.

Now for the start up pictures....
IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

With 18 months I hope to bring this home without having to rush it at the end like I've done on other GBs. So wish me luck.....this will have the most PE I've ever attempted on a model so I'm just a little nervous about it, but I hope I won't mess it up.

So let's get to it and have some fun! :D

Looks like a fine kit Greg, this is going to be good. Take your time with the PE, knowing what you've worked with in the past I'm sure you'll do fine. :popcorn

Thanks for the encouragement!! I hope I can keep up my end.

I've mocked up how I want to attach the hull to the pedestals of the stand. I'm thinking along these lines, 2 1/4" bolts 2-1/2" long up thru the base and pedestals up into the hull. I fashioned a 1/4' plywood insert to take the stress of tightening the bolts off the styrene of the hull but still traping it to the base.

Once the decks are glued down this will be permanent. So I've got time right now to make adjustments. Of course the hull will get painted before I make this a done deal.

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

Were those kit supplied standoffs?

Watched Titanic last night. yeah, the chick flick version.

Yep to both. Not a bad flick but I'm not crazy about it.

The stand offs are kit supplied but look a little cheesey with that brss plating on them. I may swap them out for something else or keep them, but toned down with some kind of overcoat.

Were those kit supplied standoffs?

Watched Titanic last night. yeah, the chick flick version.

Is there any other version? I liked the film the first time, some parts are a little to sweet.

You know they built a 1/32 or so scale model of the ship for some scenes- I saw a scene in fine Scale years ago during this build, for the life of me i can't find it now.

Here's something that might be of interest to you
Titanic colors

GREAT!! you found it!! I thought I had this bookmarked but couldn't find it. I know what site it's on but wading through all the info there I just lost track of it .

Thanks man!! You saved me a lot of time!! Whoooopeeeee :yipee :yipee :yipee

No problem :D , I wasn't sure if you knew about it or not so I thought It wouldn't hurt to post it just in case, I'm glad I did :) ,I'll be :popcorn

Looking toward to this build. I have two of these in the stash. One i won about 12 years ago. The other I started on and drilled all the portholes out and was done with the hull. But my girlfriend at the time threw it out. :vmad I used pollyscale US tan special for the funnels and it looked good to me.

Looking toward to this build. I have two of these in the stash. One i won about 12 years ago. The other I started on and drilled all the portholes out and was done with the hull. But my girlfriend at the time threw it out. :vmad I used pollyscale US tan special for the funnels and it looked good to me.

You did what???? :gogo She did what????? :angry: :angry: :angry: I know why she's not your girlfriend now! :dude

Thank, Bob.....Bookmarked! I've got 6 different websites bookmarked just on this project.

Today I got some bench time with the Titanic. I've read and re-read the TRMA and Rivet Counter articles. Way too much for me to tackle all the short comings with this build. So.... I'm going to have to pick and choose.
The finished model will most likely never go beyond the living room mantle so I'm not too concerned with counting rivets.

Anyway today was all about the hull, namely the SEAM down the center of the hull.
IMG_0101.jpg

I started out with a machinist file and dropped back to 80 grit then 150 grit then 240 grit 400 600 and finally Brasso...
IMG_0112.jpg
IMG_0113.jpg
r19_2008/Titanic%20build/IMG_0112.jpg[/IMG]

Being on the very bottom and out of sight, I'm satisfied with how it looks for now... we'll see after I get some paint on her.

I then went after some of the missing port holes. There are many but I decided to just add the ones that will really show the most. Especially the one on the port side forward.
IMG_0111.jpg

There are 15 molded on but there should be 16. So out came the pin vise and a bit and viola 16 ports. The one I added is the second one in from the right. The molded on ones are very shallow so since I was set up for it, I drilled the others out about 6 turns of the bit to deepen them and make the new one blend in with the rest.
IMG_0109.jpg
You can see the difference here.

The stern needed 8 ports added so I drilled them as well as 4 hawse holes that were missing.
Before:
IMG_0102.jpg

After:
IMG_0110.jpg

I used tape and a pen to layout the ports and a twist of my knife point to mark the plastic, and the drilled.
IMG_0106.jpg

There's a whole afternoons work here with little to show but damn I enjoyed it.

Back