• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Pz III Ausf J back to the DAK

jknaus

Administrator
I'll give this a go. Modeling mojo has be hit and miss last little while. Ever since I got the RFM Pz III J I have been itching to build it. Got decals for the 2 kits from Tunisia to the Frozen hell of Stalingrad with the Flying Horsemen. So here are the startup pics.
full

full

full

After 2 hours I have the tub built and started on the suspension. You can make this moveable and even the shocks can be made moveable. So cool or so I though. I cut out the little pegs that would make this a static build and built ip the shocks. Unfortunately despite my bib one piece flew off and I broke the axle getting it. So drilled out the arm and found some proper sized plastic rod and made a new axle. I got the suspension arms on one side and here I found an issue. With the Dragon kits the tabs are slightly angled so the arm is properly positioned They dont have working shocks though. This kit is almost the same method but the tabs are straight. So the arms are already sitting pretty much bottomed out. So not to figure how to deal with this problem. I dont want my tank looking like all the torsion bars have given out and its sitting too low. Something to think about after this freaking kidney stone stops beating me up. So where I am now.
full

full

full

James

Great Start James and nice save of the axle! Really like the NA markings...I'll have to look into them.
:vgood:

Great Start James and nice save of the axle! Really like the NA markings...I'll have to look into them.
:vgood:
Thanks. I really like the markings also but hard to fin d ref pics. Been searching for more than a week with no luck.
James

Good start,I have only built Dragon III'S
Will be following along

Last edited:
Good start,I have only built Dragon III'S
Will be following slong
So far I like it. I thought the 3 peice hull would be a pain but it all fits nicely. The only thing to this point that Dragon did better was the torrsion bars As I mentioned they are angled and so put the idler arms at the proper angle. Both kits are the same in having the little nib you cut off to make the suspension moveable. RFM made the shocks moveable so they score points there also. Hoping I can finish the hull before work tomorrow if my stones will let me.
James

I "was" going to build this kit for the Tankers Tangle, but since you have already started your build James, go for it. Probably wouldn't have gotten around to building mine in time anyway. :bm:

Enjoy! :vgood:

Watching-with-Popcorn.jpg

"The only thing to this point that Dragon did better was the torrsion bars".

I also like the Dragon 3's because of the detail under the track guards. Everyone else, including Tamiya, only ever detail the top. Has RFM done this too?

"The only thing to this point that Dragon did better was the torrsion bars".

I also like the Dragon 3's because of the detail under the track guards. Everyone else, including Tamiya, only ever detail the top. Has RFM done this too?
Just checked and nothing under the track guards except those stupid huge knock out extrusions that seem to be found in most new kits.
Yeah my fav is still Dragon.
James

I evidently
I "was" going to build this kit for the Tankers Tangle, but since you have already started your build James, go for it. Probably wouldn't have gotten around to building mine in time anyway. :bm:

Enjoy! :vgood:

View attachment 135256
I read the rules wrong. Carry on with your and looking forward to your thoughts on the kit. I need to do some more research anyways. Maybe start the Tiger seeing as the decals arrived today.
James

You have already started this James and off to a good start. I have not started my kit and have "many" other interesting kits I can build, so continue on. I am fine and not bothered at all. :good:

Really, I mean it, un-cancel this build and carry on my friend! I am good. I had not even started a thread on mine yet and am thinking about doing a night fighter which ends up being more up my line anyway.

Git-r-Done.jpg

Okay its all worked out now. So build back on. Slight change because I can not find pictures of the markings I wanted to do. No probs I have a Pz III Ausf N which will work and a picture to boot. So now I am going to do a Stalingrad tank from the 24th Pz.Div. It means I will have to scratch build a box for the rear deck but I have pictures so think I can do it. Unless of course someone has plans and measurements in which case it will be even easier. So today finished the hull pretty much. Working on the turret a bit before I go back and work on the super structure. As i feared the suspension will not hold the weight of even half the tank. Will have to glue the suspension at proper height.
full

full

full

This is the type of box the 24 PD wore on the aft deck. If anyone has plans or measuerments they want to share I'd appreciate it.
full

James

Of course I forgot the camera so this never happened. But if I did take the camera you would see the gun finished and the turret almost complete as well as the tracks started. I like them. Small and fiddly but they do work. Its cool also that they give you inside and outside pins. So if I can manage to get downstairs again tonight or tomorrow pics will follow.
James

I can appreciate that James, we're looking for a new house and one of the requirements is single floor. :oldguy:
I wish I could afford to do that. We chose poorly with this house. If I win the lottery designing a single floor house with a library and a model workshop and then all the other rooms and getting a jacuzi and sauna installed. Then to relax and enjoy stress free building until the stash is gone....ROFLMAO, the stash being depleted, lol. Yeah I better live forever i guess.
Good luck in your search Bob.

Wow that is neat stuff! the 50mm Panzer is for some unknown reason something that I really like, so glad to see you continuing this

Finally got the new prints done. I made one box with 1mm sidewalls and 3 totally enclosed. As it isnt good to print a big block due to waste of resin I hollowed it out. Then added some holes as it is not good to leave resin inside which can split the item from what I have read. I dont know why the holes are on top though. I was sure I had them on the bottom for drainage. No matter they are done. Now to detail them a bit and work out how they were attached. I can not find a good pic and the 24 PD built and mounted theirs different than everyone else. Last pic shows the box on the engine deck. Just a little shy of proper size I think but darned close. I am happy. BTW this is using the water washable resin for the first time. Not as smelly but not sure if I am totally happy with it.
DSC09135.JPG
DSC09136.JPG
DSC09137.JPG
DSC09138.JPG

James

Back