• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

My first full sculpt of a figure - now being painted

JamesOLeary

Master at Arms
I just finished a figure that is my first fully sculpted figure. It is of a Soldier in Vietnam popping open a beer using a church key can opener. He is wearing the 2d Pattern Jungle Fatigues with epaulets, waist tabs, and a gas flap which you can see near the top of the collar where the watch is going through a button hole and the corresponding button on the other side. There are dog tags in the jungle boots. I used a mannequin from Helo Miniatures for the chest and pelvis with a copper wire armature for the legs, spine, and arms, Magic Sculpt to flesh out the wire armature, another type of putty that I have had for almost 20 years that came in 35mm film cannisters for the head and boots, and the Magic Sculpt for the uniform details.

I decided to use the other putty as it hardens faster than Magic Sculpt and is easier for me to carve details into. For the head, and I wish I took pictures of the process, I mixed the putty from the film cannisters and placed it onto a toothpick to make the neck and then a ball for the head. The head on this figure is the 8th attempt at this process. I placed several Hornet heads on my bench to use as guides for various facial features and this is what I came up with. Some parts of the face are smooth and were shaped with rubber color shapers. Some parts are carved after the putty cured. You can tell that I did the nose and ears after I laid in the eyes and mouth as they are slightly lighter in color than the rest of the head. I did have a place for a nose when I put in the eyes and mouth, but it did not turn out like I wanted so I put putty over it and redid it. The ears are not perfect, but I think they are close enough. The bald head was a bit misshaped in the back from my finger pressing against it while trying to place the eyes and mouth. I fixed that by using Magic Sculpt for the hair. It took me a whole week to sculpt this head. Although I have now been able to sculpt a decent looking head, I do not know how many more I will make in the future as they do take a long time for me to make until I come up with a method that works for me that is less time consuming. Anyway, I am pretty happy to have sculpted a head of my own as I have been trying from time to time for the past 20 years with them not turning out very well.

To get the pose, I had my wife take pictures of me in uniform in this pose from different angles. Unfortunately, her Parkinson's caused most of the photos to be blurry, but they were good enough for me to copy the placement of the folds and to get the anatomy down. The Scale card that came with the Halo Miniatures mannequin helped with the placement of the knees, elbows, ankles, and wrists on the wire armature. Basically, this figure is of me opening a beer. :)

This is what the completed figure looks like.

20200920_125219.jpg20200920_125200.jpg20200920_125142.jpg20200920_125116.jpg20200920_125056.jpg20200920_125036.jpg20200920_125012.jpg20200920_124951.jpg20200920_124926.jpg20200920_124903.jpg20200920_124839.jpg20200920_124813.jpg

Last edited:
This is how the figure started off...

Fleshed out mannequin minus the arms. I was planning for this to be a production piece, so I wanted to do the arms last, but I did leave holes in the shoulder area for later. The boots have been sculpted and detailed. When I made the armature, I drilled holes into a block of resin and placed the figure on that for future production.

20200903_091608.jpg20200903_091712.jpg

I then sculpted the right leg and set aside to cure for 24 hours.

20200904_124211.jpg

Then I sculpted the left leg. After curing for 24 hours, I added the pockets.

20200907_123401.jpg

Once the pockets had cured for 24 hours, I sculpted the base of the shirt. Notice the area in the back where the waist tabs will be.

20200908_235957.jpg20200909_000134.jpg20200909_000049.jpg20200909_000021.jpg

Again, I allowed for 24 hours curing time before doing the left side shirt pockets, epaulet, and waist tab.

20200909_144805.jpg

24 hours later, I did the right side. I was still working on the head and had to complete that before going on to the collar and arms.

20200915_192506.jpg

And this is the figure ready for production minus the arms being placed on a separate frame which the caster will do.

20200920_133209.jpg20200920_133237.jpg

Thanks for looking. Hopefully shortly after the new year you will see this figure as part of a diorama.

Cheers,
James

Thanks, guys.

I am glad you like this figure. I hope to do some more. The heads are the hardest part so it may be a while before my next one is ready. :)

Fantastic James , i am happy to see that you sculpt by yourself a compleate figure.....when you realize your dioramas and trasform Bravo6 and Hobby fan nam figures you realize masterpiece ...alwais!!!!

Do you ll put it in production under same label or you ll realize it only for you???
For your new nam dioramas do you have now just the idea on what you want realize????

Congratulations.

Mario from Italy.

Welcome Mario, perhaps you'd like to introduce yourself to our little family in our introduction forum?

Sorry about not responding until now. I hadn't been feeling all that well and when I have, I have been working on a second figure which I will post in a few minutes.

I am glad that y'all like the figure. That is encouraging as it is going into production and should be releasing soon as part of the figure line of Danger Close Dioramics.

Cheers,
James

WOW!
I am really impressed and inspired to try this myself now. Really impressed James. Fantasic work.
:tens: :notworthynotworthy
Thanks. I am glad that this figure has inspired you to try your hand at sculpting. The first few attempts may not be what you might like, but stick with it and with practice your skills will improve to the point you are pleased with your work. It took me a long time to get to this point, probably about 40 years and I am glad I stuck with it. With all the videos out there, getting started these days is much better for the beginner because now you can actually see the process in action. I had to read about it and try to visualize what was being said. Sure, there were photos in the books, but there is nothing like being able to see what is being done in motion.

Fantastic James , i am happy to see that you sculpt by yourself a compleate figure.....when you realize your dioramas and trasform Bravo6 and Hobby fan nam figures you realize masterpiece ...alwais!!!!

Do you ll put it in production under same label or you ll realize it only for you???
For your new nam dioramas do you have now just the idea on what you want realize????

Congratulations.

Mario from Italy.
Hi Mario!

It has been a while since we've communicated. I hope you are doing well.

Thanks for the compliments. I still convert Bravo 6 and Hobby Fan figures for my personal projects as they are both high quality producers of Vietnam figures.

The figures that I am sculpting will be part of the figure line of a new company called Danger Close Dioramics. Their products include buildings, diorama bases, pigments, diorama accessories, and figures. The figures will be mainly focused on Vietnam and Cold War US Military Personnel and some ARVN and Australian Soldiers.

Take care and have a great day.
James

Back