• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, trucks & Jeeps Completed January 19, 2021

Wow. There sure are a lot of vehicles on the bench at the same time and they all are looking good. I am lucky to be making progress on two at a time. Now I have something to strive for.

Cheers,
James

Wow. There sure are a lot of vehicles on the bench at the same time and they all are looking good. I am lucky to be making progress on two at a time. Now I have something to strive for.

Cheers,
James

Yoo many James. It looks like a parking lot on the diorama. I'll be making some changes and dropping a couple of vehicles that I have to finish. I'll use them in a future diorama!

Thanks,

Bob

The same happens to me with figure dioramas. What makes it to the final diorama is only a handful of what I originally worked on, then I use the left over figures for other vignettes and dioramas. Funny thing is, the ones made with the left over figures usually do better at shows than the ones I carefully planned for a scene. The good thing is that the dioramas you make in the future using the already built vehicles will be a bit quicker since they are already done. :)

Cheers,
James

Thanks agin you Guys!

I almost can't believe I am finally beginning to see the closing of some of these logistics threads.

Hell, I might even be able to finish this! :geek :yipee

Bob

You might ? I'm sure you will and looking forward to it :drool :drool :drool

Laurence

The same happens to me with figure dioramas. What makes it to the final diorama is only a handful of what I originally worked on, then I use the left over figures for other vignettes and dioramas. Funny thing is, the ones made with the left over figures usually do better at shows than the ones I carefully planned for a scene. The good thing is that the dioramas you make in the future using the already built vehicles will be a bit quicker since they are already done. :)

Cheers,
James

You know James, I was a closet modeler for many years. I never knew anybody else who built models. I became involved with IPMS in 1981 kinda by accident. It was there I first heard the phrase, "How do you know when a diorama is finished"? It's a very old question I suppose and since then, I have always "overbuilt". When mine are finished, I always have vehicles and figures left over, even an occasional building. Several times, the leftovers inspire a diorama all by themselves. So, I know exactly what you mean!

Bob

:popcorn I hope you don't leave out 'Thunderbolt' :(

Ian.

I actually spent yesterday deciding on what I will use and what i won't. As "Thunderbolt" is the central theme, it will stay of course. In fact, all eight Shermans will stay, certainly Thunderbolt!. I did a lot of measuring and I have five trucks built and base coated, but I can only fit two more of them in. A Deuce and a half and a 1 1/2 ton Dodge. That means I only have the four Shermans and two trucks to weather and detail. Frankly,. the figures that go on these six vehicles will be more time consuming than completing them. Then, when I wrap up the K-5 RR gun, that will be it. I sorted out the figures to do all that yesterday. 71 figures all together for those seven models!

Then, a rough guess, another 120 German civilians and refugees plus dogs, horses and carts, and it will be time to focus 100% on the base and buildings. All those infinite details, street lights, signage, power lines and tons of rubble. Most of the train canopy is built and painted, just weathering and rusting needed. Most of the canopy will be collapsed on the RR Gun in wreckage. I gave up predicting when this will be finished, but, it seems I am on a roll now and I'm thinking possibly summer of next years! Don't hold me to that though! :)

Bobn

Thanks agin you Guys!

I almost can't believe I am finally beginning to see the closing of some of these logistics threads.

Hell, I might even be able to finish this! :geek :yipee

Bob

You might ? I'm sure you will and looking forward to it :drool :drool :drool

Laurence

Laurence, my young friend, I'm pretty sure I will, but, at age 77, you can never count on anything for 100%! :)

Don't mean to sound morbid, but it's simply a fact!

Bob

For some reason, this quarantine is making me lazy! Anybody else like that?

Way back in July, 2010, I posted this on page one of this thread, along with a dozen or so other trucks, this Dodge that I had built and was ready to paint. A short time later, I base coated it. Then it sat for ten years! I suppose that some would consider it a shelf queen. It really isn't in this case! It's just another in a group of 52 vehicles that make up this diorama and I'm just now getting around to finishing it!.

2tondodge.jpg

Anyway, this will be the beginning of the end of this thread, I started with this one as it needed the most work.

It's a Dodge one and a half ton cargo, converted in the field to an ambulance for the walking wounded German POWs. There are two G.I. Medic crewman plus a medic in the back with the POWs as well as an MP to guard them. I had planned on putting six POWs in the back, but could only fit four plus the two G.I.s.

The first photos are the truck and figures before putting the top in place. The figures took longer than I thought to paint. I had built and posed them on the Figures thread.

99.JPG

999.JPG

A Closer view.

9999.JPG

99999.JPG

999999.JPG

The story line with this truck within the diorama is that the medics have "appropriated" the truck for carrying prisoners who are wounded but not so severely they need a regular ambulance to move them to the rear. The .50 Cal. gun on the turret ring would indicate that was not the original purpose.

The Staff sergeant on the running board is directing them to the POW Hospital compound at the rear lines ad they try to work their way through the crowds of nearly 100 refugees!

0.JPG

00.JPG

000.JPG

0000.JPG

And after adding the canvas top.

8.JPG

A shame that it shields the figures in back largely from view, but, you would know it if they weren't under there. I could have probably only given them a basic paint job, but.... what the Hell! :)

888.JPG

88.JPG

8888.JPG

888888.JPG

8888888.JPG

This will be placed on the back street in the middle of the diorama and therefore those figures will be obscured from view for the most part anyway, but, that's life! :)

Thanks for looking in!

Bob

I love the work and the story as well.

And yes Bob, I find myself with more time, but far less motivation. I've kind of retreated into listen to music and reading, which I haven't done in a while. Hopefully it'll spark some building, been reading about the 8th AF, so I bought a 17 for dio. Just need to do it now.

This is wonderful work. You, being you, would never do something half a$$, so every figure etc gets is just due. I will now religiously follow this thread... only 13 pages to go!

I'd like to be lazy🤔 but my wife is home from work as well and we are working through a long list of projects...sadly I get most of my building done on the weekdays I work 🤣😂

The ambulance looks amazing Bob- love the figures even if the roof obscures them a bit...

Lazy? You? Not buying that ...love watching this come together. Talk about 2010 and the truck sitting there for 10 years? I built my first model / dio for my first competition in 2011 ....the scale of things and reference points in time :good:

Goes without saying, the jury is unanimous ......:tens:

Laurence

Wow! And you know this is probably the longest running build thread on the site. Looks great Dad! :soldier

Thanks Son!

That got me to thinking. I joined this site, (When it had a different name), in the fall of 2006. I was in the process of selling VLS and the director of our art department, David Harper, and a close friend, had been a member for several months. He liked the site because, unlike so many others back then, it wasn't loaded with Flame wars. The administrator of the site made a big deal of my joining and gave me Field Marshal status for which I had done nothing to deserve it. It had taken Dave several months to talk me into joining as I had little time back then and every time I surfed a model website, there was nothing but modelers attacking each other.

Anyway, I'm guessing on this but I could possibly be the longest member here? If anybody has been here as long or longer, please correct me!
I can't believe I've been here for 14 years. Hell, I was just a kid of 65 back then! The seven or eight threads of mine were started a month later, making them 14 years old as well. The dates that indicate when they were published are all in November of 2009. Not sure why, but, I remember when you upgraded the site, I believe it was about that time, and all the comments and views were zeroed out and they all started fresh. Then in October of the following year, 2010, it became modelersalliance.com, it's second web address. David Harper passed away in the midst of that change from cancer.

Also, if memory serves, The first thread I posted was a single thread of Logistics and when the site was upgraded, it had nearly 10K views then.

Does this all sound right to you or did I dream it? :)

Dad

I love the work and the story as well.

And yes Bob, I find myself with more time, but far less motivation. I've kind of retreated into listen to music and reading, which I haven't done in a while. Hopefully it'll spark some building, been reading about the 8th AF, so I bought a 17 for dio. Just need to do it now.

Thanks Jeff,

In truth, the quarantine hasn't changed our life all that much. We've been retired now for 14 years, so we don't do a lot of partying into the late hours of the night. :)

I've just spent more time on the Internet and phone communicating with friends and relationships;atives I used to see in person. I have all the soft skinned vehicle finished for the most part and only need to man them with figures! I hoped to be finished with this thread by June! Don't think I'll make it!

Bob

This is wonderful work. You, being you, would never do something half a$$, so every figure etc gets is just due. I will now religiously follow this thread... only 13 pages to go!

Thanks for the compliment Barney.
But, I'm afraid I've built a lot of half assed models in my life! :) Trust me! This will be my last "Superdiorama" so I'm trying harder on it. I have always tried to one up my last project so I don't have enough time for another one this size! No matter how hard I try, they'll never be perfect, and I can see my flaws better than others can! That is, I think so? :)

I do appreciate your kind words!

Bob

I'd like to be lazy🤔 but my wife is home from work as well and we are working through a long list of projects...sadly I get most of my building done on the weekdays I work 🤣😂

The ambulance looks amazing Bob- love the figures even if the roof obscures them a bit...

Thanks Jeeves!

Bob

Back