• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, trucks & Jeeps Completed January 19, 2021

When I was a wee tot, my Grampa Rhiner bought a surplus US Army Grader just like that one, to keep the driveway at Rhiner Brother's Plumbing level & pothole free. Only 2 guys in the whole shop could run it, but I've actually seen it in action. TOO COOL!

When I was a wee tot, my Grampa Rhiner bought a surplus US Army Grader just like that one, to keep the driveway at Rhiner Brother's Plumbing level & pothole free. Only 2 guys in the whole shop could run it, but I've actually seen it in action. TOO COOL!

They have always reminded me of a Praying Mantis, really creepy looking, but, in their own way they had a certain visual appeal! When I was in the army back in the 1950s, I was in the Engineers and they were still using them!

The one I have looks about like the WW II grader, but the fuel tank and air cleaner are mounted in different locations. The biggest difference for operation is that the front tires are the same size as the rear and that helps when you lean them to keep the blade in the cut. The frame is a bit different up front as well.

That's how the one I saw worked too. John Lansack worked all the pedals, levers and the big steering wheel all at the same time. Grampa Rhiner never said much. He was a WWII 34th Infantry vet. He was originally based on Oahu. Not much upset him.
He smoked Luckys, drank Hamms & Schlitz and played endless solitaire. His mind was never at rest.
Apologies for hijacking your thread. I had me a little walk down my merciless, photographic, memory's lane.

It's kind of like playing the organ sometimes, but doing finish work you don't want to be doing too much. It's in the start of the cut where things happen pretty fast. A lot of the steering is done with the front wheel tilt, I mostly just use the steering wheel for turning around.

The one I have looks about like the WW II grader, but the fuel tank and air cleaner are mounted in different locations. The biggest difference for operation is that the front tires are the same size as the rear and that helps when you lean them to keep the blade in the cut. The frame is a bit different up front as well.

You know, there are so many memories of these machines and so many others used by the fathers and grandfathers of our current membership that they are so fantastic. I hope those memories will remain in the hearts and minds of their descendants, because there will never be another generation such as the WW II generation. They are nearly almost gone now but they were incredible human beings and we should remember the price they paid for our way of living today. Unfortunately, many have forgotten and no longer care. So sad!

Bob

It's kind of like playing the organ sometimes, but doing finish work you don't want to be doing too much. It's in the start of the cut where things happen pretty fast. A lot of the steering is done with the front wheel tilt, I mostly just use the steering wheel for turning around.

I can't even imagine operating one of those things. That wheel tilt thing seems above my pay grade.

Bob

Hi all!

Well, guess I'm really getting old! Four weeks ago, I was walking my doberman in the park as I have for decades every day. There are a lot of people that do the same in that park and all our dogs get along well. This particular day, I came around a corner and saw two dogs running loose that I knew were friendly. They saw us and ran directly towards us playing. One went between my legs and, of course, my dog Dancer followed suit. Then the dog cut a sharp left turn and began running the way he had came. Meanwhile, Dancer in hot pursuit and on her leash that was by then wrapped around my leg and, down I went. Long story short, I broke my ankle. I had to walk about a mile back to the car and it hurt like hell. Anyway, the next day I went to the doc and it was a broken ankle. Now I have one of those stupid boots and need a cane to walk. Needless to say, it cut way back on my going downstairs to my work shop. Anyway, no big deal but that is the reason I haven't been posting lately!

I finally got around to finishing my first refugee wagon, there will be several. All are different as are the horses and drivers and all are painted and ready to detail. Here is a shot of this one.

0.JPG

With the horse on the right, I tried my first grey. Similar to an Apaloosa, at least to me, it was a learning experience.

00.JPG

Another angle!

000.JPG

Lots of furniture and bags. luggage and a Gramophone.

0000.JPG

00000.JPG

Rear shot.

9.JPG

The guy on the right is driving, the one of the left is smoking a pipe. Both are old men like me! :)

99.JPG

I tried to get a close up of the figures, but it put the horses out of focus due to depth of field.

999.JPG

The horses feet may not be touching, but they will when anchored to the diorama.

9999.JPG

99999.JPG

And, that's my trick! Thanks for looking in!

Bob

Sorry about the ankle Bob! Was wondering where you had gone and was about to give a shout. Need to do that again here real soon anyway and visit for a bit.

The refugees look real good and will fit right in with the rest of the logistics mess.

I LIKE IT.jpg

I really like the dappling on the Grey. What a beaut. The wagon looks really cool. Just amazing work on everything.
James

Looks good Bob, another nice little touch on the whole story scene. :good:
Good luck with the ankle mate and take it easy.:soldier

Nice work Bob,

I was wondering where you had been.🤔

Good to hear your on the mend.... and, back into the build.

Michael:Drinks:

Here's to healing! They making you do rehab?

Great job on the wagon, I've always wanted to paint a horse, don't know why I haven't done it but it's on my long list of "wannas".

Bob, I'm glad you're on the mend and now able to get down to the workbench. That is some sensational work on that horse and cart set! You nailed the dapple grey perfectly!

Bob,

Sorry about the ankle... Our organist at church and her mother both broke ankles in the last few weeks. It seems to be THE in thing to do this fall.

The big question is: Why you didn't scratch build and entire conveyor system, from the spares box, to assist you to the man cave?

Back