• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, trucks & Jeeps Completed January 19, 2021

I for one look forward to seeing those wagons done. Maybe I can try and scratch similar ones in 1/72 scale....

Hey Mark,

I have scratched a couple of them because I knew how unlikely it would be to have two wagons alike in the same refugee mob.

They're easy, except for the spoked wheels!

Bob

This was to be my last build and post on this thread. Then I realized I still have 4 large wagons, 5 bicycles, 2 Baby Buggies and 4 small wagons to go, most of them going to the refugees. Oh well, that's life!

Here is the last of the seven deuce and a halfs. One Studebaler and 6 GMCs. I have done a lot of converting, scratching and have varied the equipment so they wouldn't look like identical cargo trucks rolling off the assembly line. This one is a cargo truck of the XYZ Express. I filled the bed with cargo, and to set this one apart. I decided to make a canvas curtain for the front of the bed with lead foil. I cut out the window and rolled up more foil to simulate the cover. Then I drilled holes across the front arch of the canvas top cover supports. I used micro thin solder wire to lace it to the support.

8.JPG

Then, here is the almost finished truck. As I was assembling the final details and figures, I noticed only one Gas can had a cap. I located three and gave them a coat of Olive Drab. Waiting on them drying. I used a field modified bumper rack to hold four additional gas cans. I was going to put a canvas top on the trailer but, decided it would look more interesting without one.

88.JPG

Side view. The safety chain on the trailer will be attached to the truck when mounted permanently on the base of the diorama.

888.JPG

Here you can see all the cargo. It varies from Spare parts, to food, water and so on. The corporal on the running board is the co-driver from the truck in front of this one explaining the reason for the traffic jam.

8888.JPG

Another angle. That is a canvas tarp partially covering the eight oil drums made from lead foil..

88888.JPG

888888.JPG

8888888.JPG

The gas cans awaiting the gas caps.

88888888.JPG

9.JPG

Now, I added a driver to the scratch built Road Grader.

99.JPG

Ditto. This will be at the right rear of the diorama. There will also be a bulldozer, (Next up), a dump truck, several G.I. Engineers supervising civilian workers to clear the rubble off the street. This driver will be screaming to a couple of the civilians over the roar of the engines.

999.JPG

And the dozer. It has lost a couple of cables missing due to the massive move we made after I built it. I'll add them before I post the final photo with all the non-armored vehicles to close out this thread!

9999.JPG

99999.JPG

999999.JPG

Thanks for looking in.

Bob

Last edited:
Neat! I still have a Cat 12 grader left over from farming. I think there is a resin one available, or was, but like yours it is WW II vintage and mine is early 50's.

Neat! I still have a Cat 12 grader left over from farming. I think there is a resin one available, or was, but like yours it is WW II vintage and mine is early 50's.

Thanks!

I think I built that from scratch back in 2011 and the step by step is on this thread or somewhere else on this website. Here it is before painting it.

Roadgrader unp.jpg

If there is one from resin, it would be no surprise. Every time I build a vehicle from scratch that wasn't kitted, some company releases it afterwards!:bash::bash::bash: I had planned on having a kit made of it under the 1/35th Construction Battalion brand. One of the aftermarket companies I had when I owned VLS back in 2006. I got an offer to buy the company, sold it and retired. Best decision I ever made! I needed one for this diorama so I just built a one off.

Bob

Last edited:
They all look great Bob! The scratch build on the grader is amazing! I would not have known where to start on something like that.

They all look great Bob! The scratch build on the grader is amazing! I would not have known where to start on something like that.

Thank you Paul.

I built that so long ago, most guys on here weren't members when I posted it.

Bob

Last edited:
Thank you Paul.

I built that so long ago, most guys on here weren't members then I posted it.

Bob
Found it.

🏗 🚧

Bob, Plus Model seems to be following your lead on nice resin stuff. They have early Cat 12's in 1/48 and 1/35. I'm trying really hard not to buy the 1/48 kit.

Back