• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, trucks & Jeeps Completed January 19, 2021

Between the figures and the individual varying loads of each truck, each model has its own story to tell which I think really adds a lot to the realism of the overall story your diorama will be telling. It is quite inspiring.

Cheers,
James

Works just fine Bob!

Thanks Ian!

I hope so! Something that has bothered me about dioramas for years are figures standing alone, not relating to other figures nearby or doing anything. They always have looked unrealistic to me. I have done so many things with this diorama that I have never attempted before that may not be obvious at this point to others, but I'm hoping after the final assembly of the entire diorama, it will be!

Bob

Between the figures and the individual varying loads of each truck, each model has its own story to tell which I think really adds a lot to the realism of the overall story your diorama will be telling. It is quite inspiring.

Cheers,
James

Thanks James!

That's encouraging as that was the original concept I was hoping to accomplish when I started it. I didn't plan 450 figures just to be impressive. I want this to look like a photograph of a massive traffic jams that occurred frequently in the ETO with the supply truck convoy stalled. The drivers reacting among each other as well as with the German civilians, the tank column halted in place with the crews and tank riders reacting similarly, The infantry marching on either side of the column.Then the masses of refugees on the back street and the drama that will add. As I have been building and posing the figures from the beginning, instead of just painting them, I have thought up dozens of small vignettes going on everywhere in the diorama and posed the figures accordingly. I have never attempted anything like this before so I won't know if I pulled it off until the final assembly!

Bob

Oh, I think you underestimate yourself Bob. I am so looking forward to my next trip up to visit.

Thanks Paul!

I do that sometimes, but, most of the time, I'm just cautious. Every time I start patting myself on the back, something happens to bring me back to reality!:bang head

Well, I finished the lead truck. It will be close to the viewer in the diorama so I put some extra time and effort into it. The co-driver will be standing on the seat, through the machine gun ring, waving at some G.I.s in the tank column crossing in front of them.!

I chose to use a Combat series brass ring with .50 cal. mount.

0.JPG

I scratched the remainder of the mount, brass rods, plastic tube and sheet plastic.

00.JPG

000.JPG

The Combat series came with an aircraft .50 cal. machine gun. It had a barrel similar to a .30 ca. but longer. I replaced it with a standard plastic barrel.

00000.JPG

I like the Combat series products because they are usually more detailed than injection plastic as you can see here.

000000.JPG

Here is the finished GMC CCKW 353 Cargo. The canvas cargo top is an old VLS product that was sculpted by Gordon Stronack. Gordon was the guy who created all those Planet websites years ago, Planet Armor, Planet Diorama, Planet Figure and so on.

9.JPG

I have went through so many books on this vehicle. One thing I learned is that some have the rope tie downs on the exterior and others have them inside and not visible. I have never seen a model of one with the external tie downs so I added them. I used micro thin solder wire, Used a pencil, wrapped the wire around it, then tied a knot. After slipping it off I made some cuts and then pulled the entire knot until it looked like it would hanging from the loop on a truck. I drilled tiny holes, painted them black like grommets and ran the wire into them. I think they look pretty realistic! I painted them with Vallejo Desert Sand.

99.JPG

A shot from the rear.

999.JPG

Ditto!

9999.JPG

The right side.

99999.JPG

9999999.JPG

Left Front.

8.JPG

The brass .50 cal. shell casings are real brass!

88.JPG

Worm's eye view

8888.JPG

And, finally a worm's eye from the rear!

88888.JPG

I have one more Duece to build. It has been painted in subassemblies, but, needs a figure and detailing. plus U.S. insignia. After that, the rest of the 35 soft skins just need driver figures and I can wrap up one more thread. Then it will be three to go!

Thanks for looking in!

Bob

Awesome Truck!
I remember the Combat series of products...i think I still have one or of them somewhere...:hmm:

Beautiful work Bob! Man that is sensational; especially the rope tie-downs. One thing I noticed, the passenger door seems a bit cocked to me; the top seems too far in while the bottom is sticking out. Thought you should know.

Love the GI in the ring; he's looking great!

Back