• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Le Haitre Caterpillar Motorcycle FINISHED!

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
The Great War still rages with no end in sight. France is a wasteland, the very air is filled with choking gas. The Brits have information that must make the front lines, so a lone messenger is dispatched under cover of night. His steed is the latest Le Haitre caterpillar motorcycle. With the ability to navigate muddy roads and steep grades, the Grohl is well suited.

The kit is from Weird Armies Reign, a Greek company and is cleanly molded and assembles easily.

IMG_1502.JPG
IMG_1503.JPG
IMG_1504.JPG

Included are eight different heads and decal markings for different nationalities.
IMG_1506.JPG

The running gear is mostly one piece and is very cool looking.
IMG_1505.JPG

Some of the pieces appeared to be pretty fragile, so I added some additional support, so I wouldn't knock them off while handling the piece.
IMG_1543.JPG

I traced the parts, then bent some annealed bronze phosphor wire to match the running boards. I drilled the body to accept the boards and installed them.

IMG_1541.JPG

One of the weak points of this kit is the machine gun, it just lacked detail. Bob and Gary met us in Spartanburg last weekend and brought me some leftovers for consideration. Thanks, Bob! These are cool, but Aber makes a brass set, I just couldn't resist the temptation to kick them up some. The unmolested piece is at the top, I sectioned the lower gun in preparation for the Aber parts.

IMG_1540.JPG

Last edited:
My son called yesterday afternoon while I was at the bench, so I didn't get as many photos as I would have liked, but it was good to talk with him.
IMG_1545.JPG

Here you can see (sort of) the machine gun, definitely an improvement.

IMG_1544.JPG

Tommy's encounter with Bertram the goat. Bertram was made by Modern Armies In Miniatures and has become my new bench mascot. It was really too hot to paint today, but I braved it long enough to shoot some primer.

IMG_1547.JPG

Stay tuned, there's much more to come. Bertram says hey.
:Drinks:

This isn't as far fetched as it may seem...
😸

Wow!

Way cool!!!!!

I gotta see what you're gonna do with this! Are there more kits like that where you got this one?

Bob
Oh yeah, loads more cool pieces but you may have to locate them on Facebook. I had my wife contact Christos, he sent the kit straight away. I think he's had issues with chickenshit recasters, so is selling directly. Get you some!

Thanks to those who took time to comment, I appreciate the feedback. Man, we've had a hot stretch of weather here in the Piedmont, really too hot to paint, but I fired up the big garage fan and got some colors down.

Tamiya paints for the base and highlights, PolyScale Old Concrete for the exhaust wraps, Model Color Beige Brown on the seat. Need to get a satin coat on it this morning before it gets too warm, so I can start the weathering process.
IMG_0757.jpg
IMG_0758.jpg
IMG_0759.jpg

Thanks for coming by, much more to come. :Drinks:

It's looking really good Mike!

As MP said, "If the tracks were curved"! I've rode motorcycles all my life. From Harleys and Indians to the Jaanese crotch rockets. I would love to see somebody ride a tracked bike. I suppose the principles are similar, I guess you could turn it by leaning. That's why I think the track should be curved upward on both sides? It would be one hell of an experience! I'd sure as hell give it a try!

Bob

No curve to the tracks of the real thing, although the real one almost looks like a belt.
View attachment 126756
Continuing to paint, still some additional bits to add to the bike.

I see the handlebars. Are they stationary? Or do they actually turn something? I'm really curious about those. I never heard of them until your post! As I've said, I learn something new on this site every day!

Hang in there buddy!

BTW, have you got that in the mail yet?

Bob

I found this upon further research.
Tracked Motorcycle, 1938, of J Lehaitre, Paris. Speed 25 m.p.h. Steering was accomplished by handlebars which controlled a sideways motion of the drive belt. From Modern Mechanix, Feb 1938.
I'd say it didn't turn on a dime. :mpup And yes, I had a nice surprise in the mailbox today. Thank you!! :Drinks:

What an interesting and different subject! Thanks for starting this; I've learned something here as well. Beautiful job on the painting so far!

Back