• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hairspray Method Step by Step ??

Tojo72

I was checking out Dio-Randy's nice whitewashed Tiger I using the hairspray method.I want to try it on a Jagdpanzer IV in my stash.Does anyone have a step by step available ?

thanks

Hello ! Here's a quick sbs on the hairspray technique.
Hope this helps
Sven

First we apply the base color. In this case I used Model Air Colour, but any other paint will be a good base for the hairspray technique.
IMG_3190.jpg

Next we apply a thin, but even layer of hairspray. Some modellers apply the hairspray through the airbrush to get better control. I usually mist the hairspray from a good distance straight out of the can. The brand is not important, so far any brand worked fine.
IMG_3203.jpg

Then we airbrush a random coat of white, depending on the effect you would like to achive. In this case I was after a rather worn off finish.
IMG_3204.jpg

Now we can remove the white paint again, by using a brush and water. You might want to try out all the effects that can be achieved with different brushes, toothpicks etc. The water will solve the hairspray and the acrylic paint will start to lift after a few seconds.
IMG_3210.jpg

Since the effect of the chips can be a bit harsh, drybrushing in the base coulor will further blend the effect a little more.
IMG_3227.jpg

Here's the finished model:
IMG_3995.jpg

Sven_Frisch wrote:
Uhmm.... maybe I can ask the moderators to move this thread into my masterclass-thing ? :unsure:

I'll be glad to do it later this evening Sven, do you have any problem with me moving these pictures to our Gallery?

Do you have any commentary that might need to be added?

Sven thank you for your quick tutorial,a couple of questions:
1.Does the basecoat need to be protected before the hairspray is applied,so as not to rub it off when taking off the whitewash with the brush ?
2.Does the final whitewash coat need to be protected before filtering,weathering,or washing it ?

thanks again

Ah ! Good points !
1.) If you give the base coat ample time to dry, you will be fine, BUT
2.) yes, I would recommend a clear coat (Tamiya X-22 and a drop of X-21 for example), before moving on with the weathering.

Have fun and let me know when I can be of assistance
Sven

One more time Sven,How long should the hairspray dry before painting over it,and how long should the whitewash dry before tying to brush it off,thanks,I'm sure others will benefit by your thoughts.

Don't worry....just ask :cheer:

10 minutes drying time for each is enough.

The good news is, that you can even remove the white wash a few days later, so there is no need to hurry.

Also: Warm water can ease the solving process of the hairspray.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with
Sven

Hey, raiderfan
I found two Internet references that I found very helpful when I was researching the hairspray technique. I simply typed something to the effect of hairspray technique for models and a few choices appeared.
First, I checked out TNT's own Master Class' Mig Jemenez, who has a photo-based step-by-step blog that details the technique.
Then, I viewed a video produced by the "scale model medic" that is available on You Tube.
By the way, I'll soon be posting some pics I took after giving the Tiger a couple of washes and then an extremely liberal amount of Celluclay to depict more than a few trips through some very messy terrain. Let me tell ya, it looks a whole lot different than after the whitewash.
DioRandy

Back