• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Eduard 1/32 Bf 108 Taifun box review

Heavens Eagle

HISTORY

In 1934, the company that would later become Messerschmitt A.G., designed the Bf108. The original design was a two seat plane built for the German team taking part in the 1934 Internation Air Race Challenge. Even though the German team only came in at fifth place the RLM ordered 32 Bf108 aircraft.

In 1935 production of an improved version, the Bf108B was set up. It was a four seat aircraft and was powered by the new Argus As10C engine. It was a modern all metal light aircraft with retractable landing gear and an adjustable propeller. Charles Lindberg was the first foreign pilot to fly the plane and he stated that it was one of the world's best aircraft in it's class.

The military version of the Taifun was the Bf108B-2 and build was started in 1939 for the Luftwaffe. It was used through the war by all Luftwaffe units as a light liasion aircraft.

In 1941 a new version, the Bf108D powered by the Argus As10R engine which included the new Argus automatic propeller adjuster and improved fuel system began production. Production was also transferred to France in 1942 and continued until liberation in 1944. Production after the war was continued as the Nord 1000.

Bf108-Versions.jpg

Total production of military Taifuns B2 and D1 came to 626. Another 180 civilian/export Taifuns of the B0 and B1 versions were also produced as well as 115 of the Nord 1000 version after the war. These aircraft were used in small numbers by most countries involved with the European conflict. Many are still flying today.

THE KIT

The Previous introduction box art
Striped Fight Bf-108.jpg

Thanks to Saul for the info about the previous manufacturer

According to Vladimir Sulc, the owner of Eduard, this is a kit who’s development was undertaken by another company, and was never finalized before the moulds were put up for sale. Eduard bought those moulds and boxart and are releasing the kit under their own label. This kit, under the original label and with the original boxart, was introduced and partially advertised before, but never was released. The kit has photoetch, masks, and a resin propeller to replicate the wood propeller that many aircraft used. There are 7 colored sprues with parts and one very nice clear sprue for the canopy parts. It also comes with the usual 5 markings which are an interesting selection.

THE PHOTOS

Eduard Bf108 review-01.jpg

Eduard Bf108 review-02.jpg

Eduard Bf108 review-03.jpg

Eduard Bf108 review-04.jpg

Eduard Bf108 review-05.jpg

Eduard Bf108 review-06.jpg

Eduard Bf108 review-07.jpg

Eduard Bf108 review-08.jpg

Eduard Bf108 review-09.jpg

Eduard Bf108 review-10.jpg

Eduard Bf108 review-11.jpg

Eduard Bf108 review-12.jpg

Eduard Bf108 review-13.jpg

Eduard Bf108 review-14.jpg

Eduard Bf108 review-15.jpg

Eduard Bf108 review-16.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice Paul, thanks!

So this brings up another subject. The Review Squad is a forum we used on the old site to stage our front page reviews. Only those who were setup to submit reviews could see the forum, now, I'm pretty sure it's open to the public. Since the system is completely different I'm not sure even need it now. I think we're going to have to discuss how we have our Reviews/Resources handled in the future.

Nice review Paul!

It seems very odd that a company would come as far as making the molds and box art and then fold!

Nice review Paul!

It seems very odd that a company would come as far as making the molds and box art and then fold!

It seems I read someplace that the original company does commercial plastic molding or something such as that. They did the molds for this kit as an initial thought about doing models. Seems that the effort to break into the model hobby was more than they wanted to deal with.

So if we have reviews to submit, do we put them here or in Resources...or is that the discussion you mentioned?

giphy.gif

I think what you have to do is instead of starting a new thread as normal, if it is to be a resource that should go on the front page, (like this model review) you need to click on "Resources" in the black bar, Click on the ORANGE "Add Resource" button, select where to put it, and it is fairly straightforward from there.

I didn't know all that before posting this. I looked around after the fact and discovered it. Resources were done by a different way before and it wasn't all that clear how to do it now. Like I said prior there are several threads in my Tool Time series that are really more along the line of resources, but there apparently isn't any way to go back and label/change them as such unless Bob as admin can do it.

One of the things that I have noticed is that you will have to ensure that your choice of cement will work well on this plastic. Since I used the Weld-on as you use, Paul. I must say that the plastic is not as soft as other kits and you may have to go over the joints again with another application.

Back