• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

AMT '67 Mustang Fastback--Completed 05/20

mustang1989

Alright gang. I've just about made my mind up that the next build I'll be taking on will be the latest release of AMT's '67 Mustang by Round 2. The kit has alot going for it in the fact that there's updated decals, cleaner molds and pad printed tires.

svebSS.jpg

I've been wanting to build one of these anyhow since I owned 3 different '67's . My last one was my favorite as it had a 351W with a 4spd and 3.55 gears and it just so happened to be the same Acapulco Blue that the fastback on the box top is. Fun car and I had a LOT of fun driving it through the years.

SLsUna.jpg

tJBfNL.jpg

Have fun! :burnout
Oh I'm gonna!
2bAdHb.gif

A friend of my brother's had a black 66 fastback, so this does bring back a few memories. Gary S. XLV MMXXIV
Right on. I had a good friend of mine that had a dark blue 67 Fastback. When I first met him he had a 289 4spd in it and later on I helped him drop a 4 barrel 351 Cleveland in it. Friggin' primaries on the headers were HUGE!!!. Car was crazy fast but was otherwise all stock looking. Beautiful car.

This is the only picture I can find of the engine as of right now and this is in car #2. A 351W from a '69 Mach 1 with 4 barrel heads, Comp Cams 280H cam, MSD Unilite Ignition and a Holley 650 Double Pumper. It also had 11:1 compression. Note to everybody out there that knows anything about cars. NEVER do that on the street. You're guaranteed to be plagued with detonation problems unless you run HIGH octane fuel all the time. (98 or better). This engine did make this car haul like a scaled assed ape though.

Lw0caE.jpg

Car #2 was a GT that I got out of a wrecking yard after Car #1 was wrecked. Before you say it...... I know.....
uw5Hq7.gif
. NEVER try to dodge a deer to the extent of going into a ditch to avoid it. You're better off taking your chances with the deer. I was lucky to have not gotten hurt. Car#1 was destroyed but I walked away from it. It was a lesson I learned at a young age and it's stuck with me ever since. Brand new paint job on it and all. Man.....

The closest I ever got to hitting a deer was on the Muskogee turnpike in Oklahoma one night. Was heading to Tulsa about 2am and this HUGE buck appeared in my headlights just standing there in my lane. He had a large ruff around his neck and a giant antler rack. Driving an old Celica I just went around him as he wasn't moving.

The closest I ever got to hitting a deer was on the Muskogee turnpike in Oklahoma one night. Was heading to Tulsa about 2am and this HUGE buck appeared in my headlights just standing there in my lane. He had a large ruff around his neck and a giant antler rack. Driving an old Celica I just went around him as he wasn't moving.
You got lucky. I've had several encounters with deer and usually them suckers'll move right with you and manage to stay right in front of you. One of the craziest things I ever saw.:blink

I have "shot" a few deer that way. 5 of them with a big truck.

You got lucky. I've had several encounters with deer and usually them suckers'll move right with you and manage to stay right in front of you. One of the craziest things I ever saw.:blink
I was quite close and saw it place one last front leg down to just stand there. As I was in a little sports car it was easy to make a quick lane change and go around it. As I said it was one very big old buck.

Another time during the day I was driving along another 4 lane going east out of Tulsa. Saw a buck holding back a bunch of doe's until it was safe for them to cross the road. It was the weirdest thing.

I'm finally putting the finishing touches on the 262 so this one is going to hit the bench soon folks. May post some pics of the kit and do a box review of sorts here in the coming couple of days.

I came really close to picking up a '67 GT500 kit the other day when I was getting airbrush parts. Surprisingly an amazing amount of restraint was shown and I walked out of there w/ no more than the nozzle & needle I had gone in looking for. Had also come across the Bond "Diamonds Are Forever" Mach 1 and a '69 Boss 302 that were tempting me.

I came really close to picking up a '67 GT500 kit the other day when I was getting airbrush parts. Surprisingly an amazing amount of restraint was shown and I walked out of there w/ no more than the nozzle & needle I had gone in looking for. Had also come across the Bond "Diamonds Are Forever" Mach 1 and a '69 Boss 302 that were tempting me.
That's a good kit. I've used half of it on my Maverick builds and it works great. In looking at the rest of the GT500 kit I can say that it's definitely a worthwhile model to build. I think I built it YEARS ago when the wheel & tire availability as well as the wheels and tires that were in the kit SUCKED but AMT has remedied that since. That new Revell 69 Boss 302 kit is DEFINITELY a good kit. Most any new Revell automotive subject that's been released in the last few years are great kits.

Former coworker has one of these (a 1:1/rel thing-version) and it is one neat car. Will follow this with interest!

Thanks for following and glad to have you along. As the past owner of 3 of these cars and friends that have had them I can say that they are without a doubt a good looking car. The front ends leave alot to be desired but with some parts change outs and different front ends they're good cars.

:popcorn have my snack and drink......................
Thanks Sherman! Glad to have you along pal.

Well it looks like the 262 is at last finished and I took a day or so break but felt the need to get back to the bench this morning. I started out on the engine in which I like how the basic engine layout is done. A one piece engine block with a separate oil pan which is a good thing because there is less of a seam line going down the middle of the bellhousing, oil pan and down the front of the engine between the intake manifold and timing cover. In the foreground you'll see the two parts that I just CANNOT use. This aint no P-51 Mustang so out goes the four bladed prop and I'm still trying to figure out just what in the hell they were thinking in regards to the carburetor. Man..........c'mon Round 2. The distributor is also a little weird looking so I may switch that out as well. The one other issue that I have with the engine is that it doesn't have an oil filter. To me this was a big deal but may not be to some folks. But................there's nowhere to put it either because the engine mount bosses cover the exact area where the filter is supposed to go. Looks like that part will be skipped on this build.

All of the engine parts needed cleaning up but the exhaust manifolds were the areas that needed the most. When cleaning these up with the X-acto blade you've gotta be careful because this plastic is REALLY soft. You can take off more than you want quicker than you're ready for if you're not careful. Just a heads up to anyone out there that wants to build this kit.

Additionally, on the back side of the exhaust manifolds are what looks like casting protrusions towards the front of each manifold and they may very well be BUT......in test fitting the manifolds to the cylinder head with the head fitted onto the engine block these protrusions also serve as a standoff which steadies positions them about where they are supposed to be in relation to the manifold exhaust outlets. So...................I left em in place.

Well .....given the fact that I've built one of these somewhere around 15 years ago and I remembered that the stance was a nose high look.......I decided to do a mock up to check everythign out and it was just what I expected.....it has a nose high look to it. I have a spare AMT GT-350 in the stash so I cut the necessary sprues from the trees and mocked everything up just to check. Man.....there's gonna need to be some fancy footwork to straighten this out if I'm going to get this thing to look like 1.) the box top (which is severely misleading if a builder thinks that this kit will build up just like the picture) and 2.) look like I want it to look personally.

On a couple of other notes.....

1.) Pay close attention to the attachment wheel retainers (that I have marked "R" for rear and "F" for front. They are different sizes meaning the rear retainer has a larger hole for the axle then the front does for the spindle.

2.) The box top shows Firestone Wide Oval Tires and the kit has these Super Sports instead. Not a game changer but hey.....put what's ON the box IN the box. C'mon!!! Same goes for the stance. Just sayin'.
1626613841074.png

The OOB stance:

Back