• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Airfix 1/12 Bentley blower FINISHED

That is so cool. The IP is WOW!!!. Very interesting about the leather cladding, something I did not know. Just so much cool stuff to see here.
James

Maybe some blokes back in one of the old plants in UK has some tucked away. I'm sure you know that the Smiths gauges are still being made by a small company that has no affiliation with Smiths Group but has the groups blessings.

Not sure whether to put this here or in my "removing chrome " thread in the lounge.

These are some of the chrome parts. you can se large amounts of flash that was also chromed so its impossable to clean this up and keep the Airfix supplied chrome.

DSC_2360.JPG

DSC_2361.JPG

DSC_2359.JPG

I have tried all the usual methods to remove the chrome from car brake fluid, bleach, oven cleaner and even caustic soda ...nothing worked and it became pretty obvious Airfix have found a way of actually chrome plating plastic (its usually a very fine Finnish alloy coating like used on car reflectors in headlamps)

eventually i stumbled across another build where the guy had used an etching fluid used on PCB's and by industry for etching Glass and steel.

Now this stuff will kill you. Just one glance at the bottle from 100yds can leave you mortally wounded.

DSC_2376.JPG

I really dont recommend it unless you are super careful.

Parts dipped in this went back to copper in20 seconds. another sign this is real chrome.

DSC_2370.JPG

and back to clean plastic in about 1 minute.

(forgot to take a picture ).....

Once back to plastic the parts were cleaned up and rubbed back with 4000 and then 8000 wet n dry and given an fine under coat

DSC_2372.JPG

DSC_2374.JPG

Next will be gloss black and alclad :)
the guy who's build suggested this etching fluid said it turned the plastic incredibly brittle and his online build stopped abruptly after this.
My guess is he did what most people would do and submerged the parts in this stuff and left them.. Don't do this, take them out after 1 minute and wash them with clean cold water and assess ? they may need another 15 seconds...that the sort of time scale we are talking here.

I used that stuff for years to etch prototype circuit boards. It does have a smell, but the odor isn't the problem. If you take precautions in handling it you should have no problems at all.

In fact it seems I suggested this stuff in your chrome removal thread. Rubber gloves, glass or plastic containers to soak the parts, and LOTS of water to rinse things off.

Congrats on finally getting the shiny off!

Great job smily.gif

DSC_2385.JPG

Here we see the Queen demonstrating the glasses for the instrument panel
but shift the light and you get this

DSC_2386.JPG

Has anyone ever tried to flatten and polish these types of glasses ? I was wondering about a flat plate and some really fine sanding sheets, i have some 8000 grit ?

I'm sure you know progressive sanding to polishing. I've never tried to do what you're looking at doing so not much help. I do wonder if clear resin replacement would be better?

Your idea about flattening the bezels is what I would do, polishing progressively with finer grits and finishing with Flitz or Simichrome polish.
Novus plastic polish works pretty well, but not as well as Flitz.

Well I've not done it with those kind of glasses but with the canopy on my B-2 build. I had only some nail polish sticks numbered 1,2, 3 - so I don't know the grid of those, after that some tooth paste polish and some car polish without wax and in the end an dip in future - it worked quite well

Today i had my first real attempt with Aclad dont think i have ever needed to spray chrome on tanks or Aircraft :)
Very pleased with the results, As you might expect its 99% preparation, The better your plastic prep ie: ultra smooth, your black base coat, the better the chrome finish

i used Tamiya fine primer then Tamiya gloss black then alclad chrome

DSC_2394.JPG

Its hard to take good pictures of chrome but these parts are better than they look and more importantly they are cleaned up with out attachment points and flash

I have stood a bottle next to the radiator so you can see the reflection. Very pleased

DSC_2396.JPG

I haven't planned too, once fitted its never going to be handled, maybe one day i will experiment with a gloss coat but right now i thinks its a minor miracle it worked at all :) an d at best i would probably mess it up.

Back