• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Airfix 1/12 Bentley blower FINISHED

As Chris says saw rather than snip. Of course if you leave a little material then snip back a ways from where it attaches to the part. They should look real good Paddy! Be sure to clean and primer them real well as 3D print resin tends to get real hard and brittle when exposed to a lot of UV light.

Funny how things you are not looking forward too often are not as bad as you think :) I used the same method as i use on aircraft wheels here and despite the difference in scale ( these wheels and tires are 2 1/2" ) it worked perfectly
I sprayed the green from a rattle can its the only green i can find that's correct Tamiya TS9 then so as not to activate the green i put a bead of MIG thinners round the rim and then allowed some MIG matt black to flood round ,i then spread the black up the side walls of the tyre with a brush a couple of mm's. When it was all dry i used Humbrol maskol to mask the edge of the green rim and the start of the black then sprayed with an airbrush Tamiya tire black over the rest of the tire carefully on a fine setting. Then removed the maskol and that gave me a pretty near perfect definition between rim and tire.

Very pleased :)

DSC_2309.JPG

I solved the wheel fit problem i think.
I will just say what i did as someone else might try this build using these wheels.

Basically i found that the wheel hubs on the kit parts have a boss that fits in to the Resin wheels so i cut the these hubs out from the kit wheels

DSC_2315.JPG

and trimmed them to fit the resin wheels, this gives me the 4 locator pins on the hubs to take the brake drums

DSC_2310.JPG

So now i have resin wheels with the kit wheel attachments to the axel

DSC_2314.JPG

DSC_2316.JPG

DSC_2318.JPG

Its a strange build process if you usually do tanks or aircraft as each little sub assembly like a wheel or spring or gearbox has to be completed before it can then be attached to anything else but once you get your head around it and plan well ahead its not a problem :cool:
For example the fuel tank at the back has to go on before the axel as it defines the width of the chassis at the back and is the part that sets the rest square so it doesn't end up sitting on 3 wheels.

Its quite probable Bob but why not just include a small instruction sheet ? I thought i did well to work this out.......maybe its obvious to everyone else :)

You are a very clever Man. For you, we make very special Won Ton soup!! Really nice so far!
:notworthygood:

Struggling with the engine bulkhead, its really frustrating having no tools or space and a lack of facilities'
My work area is the cutting mat and that is on my day to day work desk which is full :)

DSC_2244.JPG

this is the kit part, Its wrong on so many levels but i have steadily gone backwards

first i painted it black and got an awful finish, i then cleaned it back and tried to paint the frame silver, that looked awful so i did it gloss black and alclad, that looked even worse so i covered it in bare metal foil. again that looked terrible , i then painted it green, thats just wrong. Meanwhile its gone incredibly fragile having been immersed in every type of thinner and stripper :) I am now cutting alloy sheet to try and get flat surfaces and square it off a bit but really i am running out of options,

DSC_2320.JPG

DSC_2322.JPG

I am wondering now if i need to start from scratch and try and build another.
without a miraculous save now it looks like this model that has defeated me for nearly 50 years might just win again...

Seems to me the imperfections will disappear under the details you add from here. The engine will be the focal point of the bay and unless there are glaring issues like seam lines or sink marks on this part, no one will notice. Press on is my suggestion.
:good:

Back