• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Adventures in 3D Printing. Panzers and Fantasy

Vietnamese Sampan. Fresh of the printer. Now printing a mule for a Navy flight line or flight deck.
20230116_121548.jpg
20230116_121559.jpg
20230116_121603.jpg
20230116_121610.jpg
20230116_121617.jpg
20230116_121630.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Mo_
so could you just change the scale of the drawing and create a 1:48 or 1:16 version? I know there's limits here in what the printer can print, it's not going to do a 1:72 scale magneto solenoid but just wondering.

How small you can print depends on how capable the printer is. And yes you can scale up and down in the slicer software. But I have found the smaller the object the less detail that is seen.

From what I have seen yes and no. If you're scaling up an object that's true to scale then it should relatively stay the same. Now let's say you take my exhaust that I made for the mustang....now I over did a lot of the design just to capture what you would see on the real deal, just to see the detail at 1/48. Now blow that up and it's way over the top.

From what I have seen yes and no. If you're scaling up an object that's true to scale then it should relatively stay the same. Now let's say you take my exhaust that I made for the mustang....now I over did a lot of the design just to capture what you would see on the real deal, just to see the detail at 1/48. Now blow that up and it's way over the top.
That's what I thought. You can't really take a CAD drawing of the real thing and scale it down expecting it to look right nor can you scale up.

That's what I thought. You can't really take a CAD drawing of the real thing and scale it down expecting it to look right nor can you scale up.
I think it depends on the drawing. I have not resized a lot of stuff, but if its basic it shouldnt be too bad

Losing detail in 1/72 scale isn't so bad an issue; most of the time it can't be seen except through a magnifying glass or macro setting on a camera. Still, any detail preserved would be icing on the cake for me if I could ever get anything like this in my scale.

I gotta say on the previous page when I first saw that first engine pic, it looked like an alien cityscape! LOL! Then I saw what it was and was even more amazed.

I need to take some pictures of the 3D work I have been doing lately. A hydroponic herb garden, a vignette in 1/6 of Naru and the Predaer from the movie Prey, wheels for a Horsh, a German Bunker Stove, a Wyvern, 1/16 wheels and parts for a Pz.Kp.Fw I and parts for a few more armoured projects. Here are some Pz I parts for now and hopefully I will get more photos soon.
20230205_154959.jpg

By the way, one of the road wheels is sans rubber which should be an interesting look. I also have a bunch of track to make. Pz I, II, III, IV, KT, Tiger etc. Oh and I found a file for the position lights on Russian armour and thats what that little plate is behind the springs. I will use it for what it is meant for and also for cameras in some sci fi and what if things I gave ideas for.
James

Back