• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Adventures in 3D Printing. Panzers and Fantasy

Wow, all those benches, stools, table, beds, trough, chest, grinding wheel, tent, goat horse anmd cart would be so incredibly awesome in 1/72 scale! Man I just wish I could get all those to add to my 1/72 scale accessories!

Beautiful print on that Hydra body; that is exceptional! Nice job on the wheels too. I knwo someone else who has printed up a number of wheels in 1/72 scale who also did them at an angle and it does help with the quality.
I'll see how hard it would be to scale these from 1/64 to 1/72 and see what it looks like.
James

Thank you James! If they look okay, let me know how much they would be and I'll see what I can do to buy them. Can you try the tavern pieces as well?

So thought I should let you see some of the stuff I have been playing with. I got my Saturn fixed and the Mars has seen no use since. I would love another Saturn and sell the Mars. If I had the money I would pre order the Jupiter.
So we have a Pratt and Whitney R-2800-C Late. It has 3 different noses and different pumps and cylinders. Of course I forgot to print more cylenders but this was just a print to see what it looks like. Unfortunately you cant see, but the ignition ring has holes for your ignition wire. 1/32 scale but you can scale up and down.
DSC09281.JPG
DSC09282.JPG
DSC09283.JPG
DSC09284.JPG
DSC09285.JPG

Next are a figure of a wizard casting from a flaming book in 75mm and a bust of a Nature Wielder.
DSC09279.JPG
DSC09280.JPG

Then a bunch of early Panzer clamps both open and closed and different sizes. If you look back a few pages at the ones printed on the Mars you will see the Saturn printed way nicer as its a higher resolution machine. Also 16 bolt road wheels for my Initial Tiger I in Tunisia. The wheels printed beautifuly on the Saturn while if you scroll back you will see earlier attempts had ridges.I also printed initial tracks for the Tiger. Forgot to show the track pins. Yes the tracks have holes to pin them :). Also in there are some Panther axles and other little bits and bobs. The fellow I follow on Patreon just provided corrected rear mud flaps for the Tiger and the proper sized smoke dis-charger. I have the Ammo of Mig version but I think his are better. AoM provides the whole thing in one print. This fellow has the mount separate and then 3 choices of dis-charger. With rubber cap, empty and full. It even has wiring points. Tomorrow I hope to do some more tracks and clamps as well as the new stuff. I have also printed some early style Pz I tracks. He made then with 2 different types of ice cleats or straight in early and late track and has also provided the cleats separately. Sorry did not take pics yet. Printed out early for the Tacom Pz Ia I will be doing, oh and yes they are workable.
So thats it so far for my update. Oops forgot. Finally have a half decent box for my Pz III in Russia. Still not thrilled but better than previous attempts.

DSC09286.JPG
DSC09287.JPG
DSC09288.JPG
DSC09289.JPG
DSC09290.JPG
DSC09291.JPG
DSC09292.JPG
DSC09293.JPG
DSC09294.JPG

James

Oh and my precautionary tale of woe.
I was tired when I went to print a figure. Got it all going and the next day finally went to check on it. I was surprised that I could not see any resin. WTH?? I couldnt have used it all. It slowly sunk in that I could not see the vat either. What???? Where did that go? Another few minutes and I realized what was bothering me about the whole picture. Is that the vat hanging off the build plate? Yes, yes it is. OMG. Hanging a good 6 inches above very fragile screen is a metal vat full of resin hanging off the build plate. WTF??? So supporting the tank I undid the plate and pulled it off. Then I empties the resin back in its bottle. Once that was done I gently pried the plate off the FEP film in the vat. Thankfully it did not do damage. Cleaned everything and then pried the 3mm thick resin sheet off the plate. Lesson learned. When ever printing the vat must be attached to the printer. In my case screwed in. I forgot that part. Thankfully no damage and just a waste of resin and a 14 hour print and embarrassment for me. Could have been much much worse.

I need to sand down the locating surfaces a bit so the engine slips together. Then i need to do some research to see what the difference is between the nose pieces. 2 have rods for the prop while one is without. Also different pumps. So when I figure out what is what I can assemble it and see how it looks and then maybe find something to put it in. I found it while looking for some Flames of War stuff for a friend. Would be nice to find other engine files also.
James

Then i need to do some research to see what the difference is between the nose pieces. 2 have rods for the prop while one is without. Also different pumps. So when I figure out what is what I can assemble it and see how it looks and then maybe find something to put it in.

What's that TV show called... the spinoff from Breaking Bad? Yea, that lawyer might help.

Regards,

Fascinating stuff James, thanks for keeping us informed of your adventures in 3D.
So do you think it is worth getting for a modeller such as myself and how much should I spend?

Okay some better pics of the clamps and printed some M3 Scout Cars for my buddy for Flames of War. Need to get more resin for more FoW and miniatures. Trying to print the 32mm miniatures and background stuff and man its tiny in my eyes.
Had 4 failures on the scout car. 2 never made it off the FEP and 2 are damaged, but I think could be used for destroyed vehicles maybe.
James
DSC09295.JPG
DSC09296.JPG
DSC09297.JPG
DSC09298.JPG
DSC09299.JPG
DSC09300.JPG
DSC09301.JPG
DSC09302.JPG
DSC09303.JPG
DSC09304.JPG

Okay its been a while. I havent done as much as I would have liked. I made some paint pans for my wifes new water colour craze and yesterday I dialed in my Saturn to make it print better. It was pretty good on my first validation but I found I have been over exposing my prints a bit.. Then I made 4 more validation files changing the exposure time by .5 second increments. I think I am close now although I stopped because I just hurt too much.
Then I printed some tracks for my Panther. I will redo them now I am more dialed in and they should be even better. I have road wheels and some other bits to do next. I also pulled out some Jerry cans I printed and took a look at them. I need to re print them also and hopefully the detail will be better. The one fellow I follow had put out files for Jerry cans from a number of different manufacturers and years and had the lids ope or closed and even spouts. The spouts need some fine lead wire to finish them off. I cant say what we called the spouts in the military as this is a family friendly place. I hope with painting and a wash the data pops out nicely. I have also got to print out more Tiger tracks and a conversion to make a very early Tiger with the hinged armour on the nose. Sorry not a lot of pics.

DSC09315.JPG
DSC09316.JPG

James

Fascinating stuff James, thanks for keeping us informed of your adventures in 3D.
So do you think it is worth getting for a modeller such as myself and how much should I spend?
I have waited a very long time to buy one. I just could not see spending the money when I am incapable of drawing so cant make what I want. Then I saw some 1/35 files for tanks and that pushed me over the edge. Then I found a fantasy figure site and that was it, I was sold. Now I have also found an awesome modeler on Patreon who makes some very cool files and it is very much worth while to me. Now I want a second Saturn Printer or if I had the money a Neptune.
How much to spend?, Its going to be pricey. I started with a Mars 2 Pro because I heard so much good stuff about it. I also got a wash and cure machine which I think is very much worth it. So much less hassle than trying to wash the print and then cure in a box with uv light or in the sun. I bought a second printer, the Saturn because the Mars 2 Pro was just too small. I'm sold on the Saturn now and seldom use my Mars. The Saturn is twice the resolution and 2.5 times the build plate size. When I compared some German tool clamps done on the Mars to the same ones done on the saturn it was like night and day. Saturn so much better. The Neptune is even bigger and higher resolution so prints should be even better. So my advice is to get a larger machine for size and resolution. This caused some more issues though as the plate would not fit in the wash machine I have. I could not get the Elegoo Mercury Plus though and so had to soldier on. Then a couple of weeks ago found an Any Cubic Wash and Cure machine that is very large and the Saturn build plate fits so back in business.
If I did get the newest machine there is no wash and cure for it yet and I would be back to trying to make do. The thing is though that another printing method has started coming out. All my printers are resin one and SLA or Steriolithography. but I see DLP is coming on strong. From pictures it looks like it has incredible detail which would be perfect for the stuff I do. Just waiting to see how much the printers will cost. A good write up on the different types of printers is here. https://3dinsider.com/3d-printer-types/

Now this is all long and boring , but its how I ended up joining the club.

Cost. Its going to be expensive. First off is the printer. The Saturn is about $600 and other brands of the same calibre can go up to the $1K level.
Second resin is expensive depending on where you get it. I have gone through about 7 liters so far. Price varies
Alcohol, you need 99.9% stuff unless you use water washable resin. I didnt have a lot of luck with it but may try again now I know a bit more about my printer.
FEP, the film in the bottom of the tank. You will be changing it out occasionally. I did my first change which went well until just as I finished I dropped the screw driver though it. Second change went very well.
The Mono screen is good for about 2000 hours I think I have to check again. You might have to change it out at some point either when it gets old or if your fep gets a leak and the resin becomes one with the screen.

I've had a rough time lately and today was a kick in the gut so this is probably a rambling piece of WTF did he say??? You are an excellent artist and so 3D drawing in Fusion 360 or Blender will probably be easy. So you will have a better chance of making things no one else has. It can also earn you a few bucks which can offset the cost. I would ask around about printers and price them out to see what is best for you. I blissfully thought that was it, but resin and extra materials and new toys and then joining patreon and Loot and a couple of other places is costing me. I'm not complaining, I love what I have been getting and printing and using. I just didnt figure it into the price.
I hope this helps although I doubt it. Still ask me any questions, I'll try and help you out.
James

While I have not bit the bullit yet on one of these, I have been doing the research. Your rambling was actually quite informative and gave a little better insight than a lot of the stuff I have read.
Thanks for posting!

Those are so cool! Only negative to them is they have no collectability like the resin kits I have bought. ( does not mean they are bad kits at all) The whole 3D printed thing is an up in arms bit with the figure community right now.

Last year I think I posted about a company, ANYZ who make switches and buttons etc in 1/48 and 1/32 scale. I really wanted to try them but shipping and costs were too much. Well Saul pointed out to me today that they are now selling STL and Obj files to print your own. So of course you know what I did. I need to tune my printer a bit more and my photography sucks but this is what you can do. Thre are some covered switches here, knobs, pneumatic/hydraulic fittings etc. When I zero in my printer better and practice taking pics I'll post more.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

James

Back