• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Adventures in 3D Printing. Panzers and Fantasy

Well most of Mystique came out well. Reprinting the one arm now as it failed big time. 1/12 I believe. Also trying to print Agent Carter.
DSC09397.JPG
DSC09398.JPG

That's amazing. how long did it take for that to print?
It took almost 12 hours for the head and both arms and torso. One arm failed and not sure why. The lower body took 11 hours to print Went to print the second arm and it would have been 7 hours so added Agent Carters Torso and those two took 9 hours.
I'm just waiting on a UV flashlight and will use it with some fiber optic strands to ensure the inside is cured before I glue it all together and prime it.
I am looking at making this look like marble although brass also appeals to me.
Next print job will be all the running gear for an early Jagdpanzer 38 (T) and then more of Agent Carter.
James

sounds like you can combine parts to be printed that reduces the time it would take to print each individually.

sounds like you can combine parts to be printed that reduces the time it would take to print each individually.
Most definitely.I do that a lot. When I can next print I will be doing the complete running gear for the Jagdpanzer 38.
very smooth detail. looks as though you are really mastering this now James.
I wouldnt go thatfar lol. Still a bit of bumpiness on the upper body from the supports but should sand down no problem. I really like the new resin. I kept reading about Sirya Tech but it was more expensive. I'm glad I switched. Its a really nice resin to work with. I might even try some of the Sirya Tech Tenacious. People say mix 10% of that with your resin and it makes it a bit stronger and a bit more flexible. Its just its a $100 bucks a bottle and that still seems pricey to me. Still saving up for a second Saturn printer so I can speed stuff up more. Really enjoying it though despite or maybe because of the challenges.
James

So cool James. I'm going to continue to live vicariously through you...for now. :LOL:

I can definitely see getting one in the future...I just don't think the timing is right for me right now w/ my limited time/space.

I like the look of the Tiger track roller. Will this be available to purchase in 1/35 from you?

Not something I can sell unfortunately.

I'd been thinking about this a bit...one way morally around it would be if the interested party were to purchase the files from the designer, then provide the files to you to print and compensate you for time and materials. More times than not it may not be financially feasible, but an option if there were no other alternatives.

I'd been thinking about this a bit...one way morally around it would be if the interested party were to purchase the files from the designer, then provide the files to you to print and compensate you for time and materials. More times than not it may not be financially feasible, but an option if there were no other alternatives.
This conversation has been going around the Loot page on FB quite a lot. They will not allow the selling of their stuff, but this seems to be a legal way around it. The problem as you have mentioned is the cost of materials and then shipping the part. Is it truly worth it for the buyer? I'm not sure. Most of the files I have bought or that were free have constraints and will not allow you to sell the item unless you become a merchant. I joined one patreon as a merchant which was more expensive but it only allows me to sell prints while a Merchant Tier member. When you switch to a lower cost tier or quit you can no longer sell. Most of them are like that. I only stayed for a couple of weeks and realized the figures where not the best and he seemed more interested in nude lewd figures which I wasnt and couldnt sell. The VX Labs figures though I can sell as far as I can see. They are high quality and I have a few now. The sculpter is a professional artist and enjoys making a life like representation of the figure and then offers extra content for her in lingerie or partially nude.I can tell you he is more artistic and the content isnt lewd. Now to sell those figures I would have to figure cost of resin per part, add in a buffer for failures, and then try and wrap and box it and ship. If more than one person bought a figure I would be hard pressed to do it all with one printer. But to buy more printers without knowing the sellability would be foolish also. And as I like armour and aircraft I would have to find someone who would design the 3d files for me and then figure how to pay that person etc. Dave Roof started out with one printer and has someone who does his files and now has a printer farm. I havent asked him for more info on how this business works though, mainly because I dont know if that is a direction I want to or could go. He makes awesome stuff though and I have a few of his 3D items and decals for things like my AH-1Z. But if you follow any modeling news I am sure you will notice how fast the 3D for models is growing. Now wpuld be the time to get in on the ground floor, or maybe the stairs between the ground and first floor.
James

I have not been able to do a lot of modeling lately and even 3D printing is lagging. But I did get some done. First of a friend from Facebook Dana wanted Yodas ship from Clone wars and so went about building it in 3D. She was nice enough to let me get the files and in 3 prints since Friday I have most of the parts. Failures in each print but still trying to figure this stuff out. I think maybe weather might be playing a part but not sure. So now a fourth print happening trying for the cockpit again. Then I will need to try and print the weapons and aft of the ship again. I also got some advice and tried printing out the base for the Black Widow I printed for my Son for Christmas. It came out very nicely but taking the supports off is a major pain. Thats the next thing to learn for the FDM printer, how to make supports. So some pictures of the ship taped together and the failed print of Black Widow on the base for my Son.
DSC09402.JPG
DSC09403.JPG
DSC09404.JPG
DSC09405.JPG
DSC09406.JPG
DSC09407.JPG
DSC09408.JPG

Available Church pews (Anglican Church and a bit smaller in 1:76th scale):

Click to see and order...

Regards,

Thank you Saul! I ordered one set of ten; it just came in. Gonna see about building them soon.

James, I still need an altar, a tabernacle, and two pulpits. I know that's pushing it for you, but I plan on looking out for those things as well.

So supposedly something people do when getting an FDM printer is modify it.And thats whet I have been doing. I showed the tool drawer a while back which goes into the right side of the frame. Over the past couple of weeks seeing as I could not get into the work bench I have made a roller for the filament which is on bearings. It now feeds so much better. That led to a roller guide also on bearings, into the filament sensor. A good mod. Finally I modified the hot end and made a two blower fan which already seems to be making the prints better.
20220504_085749_HDR.jpg
20220504_085752_HDR.jpg
20220504_085757_HDR.jpg

Nice bright red which looks pretty good. Next up are some feet now that I am figuring this thing out.
James

I have also been making a vault piggy bank fot my Grand Son. A blue and Mauve one is next for my Grand Daughter if I can get the lock to work. The gearing on this is the weak spot and I have not yet figured out how to fix it. The door is supposed to lock in place. I also made a desk organizer which will hold pens etc as well as some usb sticks and some memory cards.
20220504_085733.jpg

Last edited:
Back