• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Adventures in 3D Printing. Panzers and Fantasy

Remember what I wrote, nothing is trash and everything has its use. If not perfect, they are in the background (or under, or harder to see spots).

Regards,

I have waited a very long time to buy one. I just could not see spending the money when I am incapable of drawing so cant make what I want. Then I saw some 1/35 files for tanks and that pushed me over the edge. Then I found a fantasy figure site and that was it, I was sold. Now I have also found an awesome modeler on Patreon who makes some very cool files and it is very much worth while to me. Now I want a second Saturn Printer or if I had the money a Neptune.
How much to spend?, Its going to be pricey. I started with a Mars 2 Pro because I heard so much good stuff about it. I also got a wash and cure machine which I think is very much worth it. So much less hassle than trying to wash the print and then cure in a box with uv light or in the sun. I bought a second printer, the Saturn because the Mars 2 Pro was just too small. I'm sold on the Saturn now and seldom use my Mars. The Saturn is twice the resolution and 2.5 times the build plate size. When I compared some German tool clamps done on the Mars to the same ones done on the saturn it was like night and day. Saturn so much better. The Neptune is even bigger and higher resolution so prints should be even better. So my advice is to get a larger machine for size and resolution. This caused some more issues though as the plate would not fit in the wash machine I have. I could not get the Elegoo Mercury Plus though and so had to soldier on. Then a couple of weeks ago found an Any Cubic Wash and Cure machine that is very large and the Saturn build plate fits so back in business.
If I did get the newest machine there is no wash and cure for it yet and I would be back to trying to make do. The thing is though that another printing method has started coming out. All my printers are resin one and SLA or Steriolithography. but I see DLP is coming on strong. From pictures it looks like it has incredible detail which would be perfect for the stuff I do. Just waiting to see how much the printers will cost. A good write up on the different types of printers is here. https://3dinsider.com/3d-printer-types/

Now this is all long and boring , but its how I ended up joining the club.

Cost. Its going to be expensive. First off is the printer. The Saturn is about $600 and other brands of the same calibre can go up to the $1K level.
Second resin is expensive depending on where you get it. I have gone through about 7 liters so far. Price varies
Alcohol, you need 99.9% stuff unless you use water washable resin. I didnt have a lot of luck with it but may try again now I know a bit more about my printer.
FEP, the film in the bottom of the tank. You will be changing it out occasionally. I did my first change which went well until just as I finished I dropped the screw driver though it. Second change went very well.
The Mono screen is good for about 2000 hours I think I have to check again. You might have to change it out at some point either when it gets old or if your fep gets a leak and the resin becomes one with the screen.

I've had a rough time lately and today was a kick in the gut so this is probably a rambling piece of WTF did he say??? You are an excellent artist and so 3D drawing in Fusion 360 or Blender will probably be easy. So you will have a better chance of making things no one else has. It can also earn you a few bucks which can offset the cost. I would ask around about printers and price them out to see what is best for you. I blissfully thought that was it, but resin and extra materials and new toys and then joining patreon and Loot and a couple of other places is costing me. I'm not complaining, I love what I have been getting and printing and using. I just didnt figure it into the price.
I hope this helps although I doubt it. Still ask me any questions, I'll try and help you out.
James
Thanks James, your info is gold! Its always the best info that comes directly from experience - cannot beat it! Please keep writing your posts on this subject as I am sure everyone who is interested in this 'brave new world' for model building will be appreciating having a member of MA relating first hand info on the journey.
* I also have a question, I recently purchased some 3d printed German tool clamps but find the ones with the strap loop impossible to cut from the mount without breaking them. The mount is way thicker than the strap and cannot be seperated. Sorry I don't have a picture handy.

Last edited:
Thanks James, your info is gold! Its always the best info that comes directly from experience - cannot beat it! Please keep writing your posts on this subject as I am sure everyone who is interested in this 'brave new world' for model building will be appreciating having a member of MA relating first hand info on the journey.
* I also have a question, I recently purchased some 3d printed German tool clamps but find the ones with the strap loop impossible to cut from the mount without breaking them. The mount is way thicker than the strap and cannot be seperated. Sorry I don't have a picture handy.
As I keep learning more I will keep posting. The clamps are a bit problematic. They are tiny. A very new sharp knife helps. I wonder if you were to dip the raft in some hot, not boiling water before cutting if that would work well. I just bought a crockpot for my 3d printing. A lot of people have said the best way to remove the supports and leave little to no scars is to clean the part and then dip in hot water for a few seconds and then break them off. Then do a quick wash again and then cure. When I started I left the supports on did the wash and then cured it. I found when breaking the supports off it left bad scars. I now remove the supports before curing and scaring is much less. Having said that the tool clamps I leave on their rafts and even the tracks I have made from Kai's drawing I leave the supports on. With Kai's tracks I have had no issues. With the tool clamps it is hit or miss. I have not yet tried a super sharp set of cutters such as DSPAIE's side cutters but will today. I have bought clamps from Ammo of Mig and the ones in RFMs add on kits and Have not had much luck there either. The reason for the crock pot is thats what other people use. So when I go to cut out some clamps I will try it and let you know. Sorry its not a better answer. I have been slow modeling so have not played with all the clamps I made yet to the extent I would like.
James

Okay I managed to get something printed and quite happy with it. As I write the base and some extra stuff is printing and should be done in 18 hours or so. I saw a neat looking witch from a company called Krakens Vault Miniatures so I joined their patreon. Well the other figures didnt really appeal to me so much so I quit but at least I have the one that drew my eye.
DSC09359.JPG
DSC09360.JPG
DSC09362.JPG

And this is what it should end up like before painting.
1.jpg

1.jpg

1.jpg

1.jpg

James

Looks like I am going to be wanting a printer sooner rather than later. That is an interesting figure James!
It is. I just got the rest of it out of the printer and will package it up for my youngest son for Christmas. I have Black Widows legs on printing now and hope it will be 3rd time lucky.
James

And in other news I will be trying FDM printing. i guess this is great for stuff that does not need the fine detail of resin. Things like figure bases and buildings and then various tools etc my wife wants me to make. She bought the printer on Black Friday and saved money and now just waiting for it to arrive.
neptune2s-fdm-printer-elegoo-official-308088_2048x2048.jpg

James

Oh and yes for the first time they give a 1:1 scale dagger. That should be fun to print and paint.

YEAH HAAA!!!!! :) I have the Christmas gifts printed except some blades for the Dagger and decided to print something for me. I am going to do the witch with the Krakken and the first plate was finished printing this morning when I got up. Now everyone has been saying to plunge the parts in hot water to remove the supports and I actually bought a crock pot to try it. The cord for the crock pot is maybe a foot long so wont reach anything. I have ordered an extenstion cable for it. But that isnt the thing that has me all jumping with joy. I grabbed our old thermal carafe this morning and pre heated it and then filled with hot water. I put the washed and dried pieces in the crock pot and poured hot water over them and let sit a minute or two. Even as I picked up the first piece the supportswere flexible and started to fall off the body. I pulled the rest off as usual but it was so very much easier and a BIG PLUS is there was next to no scarring. I wish I had tried earlier. It is awesome.and from now on I will definately let whatever I print sit a bit in some hot water before removing supports. Now the body is in curing and the base and book shelf are printing. Then to print some more Ferdinand tracks and empty the vat for some clear green to cast the blades of the dagger. Then this weekend Kai will have his first Panzer Jaeger 38 parts up and I can start printing upgrades for my kits. Finally a happy day after a crappy week.
James

Back