• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Sub with Bite, Type VII with Biber Mini-Subs

Sharkmouth

Information Overload
Staff member
Stuff_002.jpg

Regards,

OK, it is my first day on this kit and I must say, it is a breeze! A warm methane perfumed breeze from downwind of a pig pen.

As Laura pointed out, there are tiny parts. Thanks to her path-finding ways, I did not do too bad in my twenty minutes. Photographs are coming but I rather build quickly. I can use my unbuilt Type VII/D to show items on the sprues even though the hull on this model is longer due to the mine-laying purpose of the submarine.

I need to get some paint on it... did you hear that Laura, Bob, and Hubert? I am actually going to paint! Oh my!

Regards,

Sheesh, you would think something that's not much bigger than a torpedo they could make in 1/48 scale !

I took a closer look at the sub and it needs seam work. While not horrible in my usual scales, they are trenches in 1/350th so they must be dealt with. Cyano-acrylate glue to the rescue!

Photographs tomorrow after cleaning up the seams.

Regards,

Some nasty spots to do seam work. If it were me I'd likely do the dive planes stowed to hid that nasty seam. But you're looking good Saul.

Did anyone hear that yell?

Nature bit me back.

I have six cubic yards of dirt to move. Today was a sunny day and this model needs to be done by the end of the month so I decided to spray paint a primer coat outside.

Here is the sub before I took it out. I kept all the fragile stuff off:
TypeVIIBiber09.JPG

I laid out an old shower curtain, warmed up some black primer spray, and sprayed on a nice smooth coat. When I went out 30 minutes later to turn the sub over and cover the opposite side, the wind had blown over the curtain sending the sub into the dirt!

Most of the dirt cleaned off and now I have sprayed the second side. Photos with primer coat to follow.

Regards,

Oh man that sucks, but sounds just like something that would happen to me.

B)

I need to put on my Optivisors to clean this baby and do some touch up painting.

Type7_001.JPG

Type7_002.JPG

Type7_003.JPG

Type7_004.JPG

Type7_005.JPG

I am painting the delicate stuff tonight and will fire up my airbrush for the last coats of paint. I tried drilling out the 40mm Bofors gun but went cross-eyed.

I am crazy for continuing but:

Regards,

Last edited:
She's cleaned up and had paint but no weathering yet. Details are being picked out. I want to concentrate on the Biber sharks today. So, there may not be any photographs. Tomorrow, I will weather the sub (after adding decals tonight). I may FINALLY get a ribbon.

Regards,

With all the work I had to do today, I did not find much time. I did paint the details in the accurate colors but have not attached the PE or delicate items yet:

sub_001.JPG

sub_002.JPG

sub_003.JPG

sub_004.JPG

Macro shows the dust I need to remove!

:angry:

Regards,

Back