• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Adventures in 3D Printing. Panzers and Fantasy

The 3d printer I got came with 6 figures. A Lion, Male and Female Wizards, Paladin, Cleric, Dwarf Bard, and Captain from MyMiniFactory.com,
I decided to print them for my Son Phil. I'm not sure if its the yellow colour of the resin, that its water washable resin or what but the detail seems a bit soft to me. Will know better when the supports come off and its primed I guess.
DSC09139.JPG
DSC09140.JPG
DSC09141.JPG
DSC09142.JPG
DSC09143.JPG
DSC09144.JPG
DSC09145.JPG
DSC09146.JPG

James

Well just found another couple of cool items. The file for the tac compartment for a Pantsir. Supposed to fit the Meng, Trumpeter, or Zvezda kits :) And a cool 1/35 lathe. Lots more fun to come.
James

Some more printing today. A tool I designed was totally wrong and turfed. Then printed a 1/35 Lathe and various lathe equipment and 2 types of radiators in 1/35 which will fit in some houses. There are some extra segments and both end caps for both rads. Pics are not great, sorry but too tired to take more. Maybe tomorrow I can clean the parts up and prime them and they should show better.
DSC09170.JPG
DSC09171.JPG
DSC09172.JPG
DSC09173.JPG
DSC09174.JPG

L❤️VE the radiators, just like the ones in the old Brooklyn apartment! That lathe would look great in the workshop van kit.

Regards,

L❤️VE the radiators, just like the ones in the old Brooklyn apartment! That lathe would look great in the workshop van kit.

Regards,
When I found the file I was thinking in the back of the Leyland truck. Make a workshop truck. Not sure if its the right type but should look good I think.

When I found the file I was thinking in the back of the Leyland truck. Make a workshop truck. Not sure if its the right type but should look good I think.
Who's to say it's the "right" lathe. I could see them commandeering one out of a bombed out workshop somewhere in northern France.

When I look at the conversion to make the Leyland a REME truck they have a big Lathe. I think this should work. Will be cheaper than buying the conversion by far also.
Got the rads assembled and the lathe cleaned up some parts I have no idea what they are for. The spindle is too big for the lathe so will have to cut it and attach a brass tube I think. All primed and took pics while still wet so they dont look great.
DSC09179.JPG
DSC09180.JPG
DSC09182.JPG

Overall quite happy with them. Right now waiting for another print job to finish. Printing the tac compartment for a Pantsir.
James

All printers print in layers. The better resin printers work in thinner and thinner layers. Also the layer thicknesses can be adjusted on many of the resin printers. I suspect Shapeways doesn't run items at the finest settings as they are doing production and time is money. Thinner layers will take longer to print of course.
The Uboat details that I have bought from shapeways are super fine and have no layering on the surfaces, even on the really small snorkel pipes.

James, thanks for posting this stuff and keeping us in the loop with your progress and what you discover along the way. Very interesting stuff.

I have used foam board and skewers and tooth picks to hold road wheels and small parts. So made a tool to hold them. Now I have stated here I cant draw a straight ling on ruled paper with a ruler and first attempts proved that. The pegs did not print, not sure why. The posts were too close together and too small.
DSC09193.JPG

Okay try again. Its not a waste though as tooth pics fit and so can be used to hold parts to paint.
Second try. For some reason the pegs dont fit the posts. Some sanding and that will be fixed. I geuss mod the drawing. So here is the second try and as proof of concept a road wheel being held. Works for me. I will also make pegs of different shapes for specific models.
So fairly happy with my lack of skills and the outcome :)
DSC09194.JPG
DSC09195.JPG
DSC09196.JPG

James

Back