• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Adventures in 3D Printing. Panzers and Fantasy

jknaus

Administrator
Well i finally popped for a printer and after watching videos a cleaner curing machine.
elegoo-mercury-plus-.jpg
mars 2 pro.jpg

I was sold when i found a set of early Panzer Tool clamps for free. I cloned the drawing and made 10 sets. Rather than waste resin on a rook I thought this should work. 1 hour later and into a bath for 6 minutes and 30 seconds. Then pop them off the print head and cure for 2 minutes. I am very pleased. Of course the real test will be to use them.
mars 2 pro.jpg
DSC09114.JPG
DSC09115.JPG
DSC09116.JPG

James

Thanks guys. For a first time ever I'm happy. I got more files last night including a MG 34. I just wanted to see how good it would look com,pared to resin or brass. Hoping today to print some more stuff and experiment some more.
Paddy its taken me a lot of years to pop for one of these. When they first came out I saw possibilities but with the extrusion printers I didnt think you could get the fine detail. Also I cant draw to just could not see the sense of spending the money. Then I see all these cool 3d printed items coming out and WOW but still cant draw. Finally did a search for pre made files and BAM the door was open.
Errains, not sure I'm allowed to sell parts as it is someone elses hard work making the files. But who knows maybe it will become a money maker so I can retire.
James

I respect the intellectual property of others at TLAR Models. It is unethical to sell copies of someone else's work for profit in the US. It is not unethical to give them away. China respects NO copyright laws and shamelessly copies the work of others for profit. (Tamiya has been a victim of this practice for many moons) I believe we should offer China the same amount of respect in return.
Did you get a 3D scanner to make digital files of existing objects yet?
This would be the next step in your evolution. Color me envious!
I wanna be one of the Cool Kids too!!!

I respect the intellectual property of others at TLAR Models. It is unethical to sell copies of someone else's work for profit in the US. It is not unethical to give them away. China respects NO copyright laws and shamelessly copies the work of others for profit. (Tamiya has been a victim of this practice for many moons) I believe we should offer China the same amount of respect in return.
I hear you. As for the 3d scanners, I wish. Maybe one day.
James

You could take something to the dentist and let them scan it with that funky camera they use when they make crowns...

Really with 3d Scanner we're approaching Star Trek replicator tech...

Thanks guys. For a first time ever I'm happy. I got more files last night including a MG 34. I just wanted to see how good it would look com,pared to resin or brass. Hoping today to print some more stuff and experiment some more.
Paddy its taken me a lot of years to pop for one of these. When they first came out I saw possibilities but with the extrusion printers I didnt think you could get the fine detail. Also I cant draw to just could not see the sense of spending the money. Then I see all these cool 3d printed items coming out and WOW but still cant draw. Finally did a search for pre made files and BAM the door was open.
Errains, not sure I'm allowed to sell parts as it is someone elses hard work making the files. But who knows maybe it will become a money maker so I can retire.
James
I am in the same boat James. The extrusion printers are fine for coarse stuff and are a bit less expensive to operate, but the detail sucks on them. Since the resin printers have become more reasonably priced, I have been looking at them more as well. Have not jumped on the wagon yet as I have not been doing the 3D work on the computer to need one. I have worked with 3D software in the past and as a former draftsman I can do the work to get the items built in the computer. The ability to draw pretty pictures isn't needed, but if you can do sketches with dimensions to make parts, that is a good start. The hardest part sometimes is getting your head around using the software that is many times not all that intuitive.

Enjoy your new device! :Drinks::good:

oh yes a 3D printer is something I'm thinking of for quite a while, but then I'm affraid I end up designing add on stuff but don't build anything ... i know me ... but yeah, looking forward to see stuff coming from you James.

Okay second attempt was so so. Partially a bad drawing I think and partially not enough alcohol for washing and screwing up there. It was a fletching jig for a buddy. Just did third print. Learned some and confused some. I think the tie downs might be too small for my printer. Will see when I look under magnifying glass. Put one antenna in wrong place and it became one with another part. Some parts attached to the screen instead of the print head. Confused as to why. Lots of different clamps and a couple of antennas, some fire extinguishers and some extinguisher mounts. A real hodgepodge of items.
DSC09117.JPG
DSC09118.JPG
DSC09119.JPG
DSC09120.JPG
DSC09121.JPG

James

It is going to be experimentation for a while until you get a handle on what you can do with it James. Looks like you are making some progress though and I am sure you are enjoying the process to some extent. Keep at it and you will be our go to guy for what works.

Mech Thumb up.jpg

oh yes a 3D printer is something I'm thinking of for quite a while, but then I'm affraid I end up designing add on stuff but don't build anything ... i know me ... but yeah, looking forward to see stuff coming from you James.
There in lies the pitfall. I'm feeling it of late. So many ideas gave birth to sooo many projects, which sounds cool but in reality, lends itself to being bogged down. I feel I make NO progress on anything while all these projects swirl about in my corrupted brain. Evidently I have forgotten how to eat an elephant. :bang head

Da schizt dem Hund im Feuerzeug!!

I have bought scads of 1/700 Airplanes from Shapeways. It seems they use the extrusion 3D printing method because they are rife with irritating, tiny layers. If I understand correctly, your new printer doesn't make the "layers"? I'm not sure I asked that properly. :bm:
Please color something with a sharpie and take a close-up picture, perhaps?

Back