• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 Revell Vought F-8E Crusader ReHab

Rhino

Super Moderator
I have a big box of Aircraft parts. I got it from my Friend Chuck. Inside were a few models that were for play when his kids were young. Given my fondness for the Crusader, and even though I have several really nice kits to build, I could not help myself, but put the old F-8 back on her sea legs.
F-8_Rehab_3_Feb_2014_1.JPG

Having been less than lovingly stored, for many years, the inevitable damage must be repaired.
F-8_Rehab_3_Feb_2014_2.JPG

.78 Drill for brass wire "implants"
F-8_Rehab_3_Feb_2014_3.JPG

Drill out broken Nose gear
F-8_Rehab_3_Feb_2014_4.JPG

Added ECM antenna, and prep aft fuselage for Alclad Afterburner paint!
F-8_Rehab_3_Feb_2014_5.JPG

repair Mains. used my handy Dremel to mill new parts for the Nose Gear, and compression cylinder.
F-8_Rehab_3_Feb_2014_6.JPG

No, not a nice old model, I just couldn't let it go.
reference_sweater_dress.jpg

Another shot of landing gear parts. the 'Loomium tube, and brass wire are for main gear actuator cylinders.
F-8_Rehab_3_Feb_2014_7.JPG

Sanding :bang head on the original Aim-9's made passable Sidewinders. I DO NOT recommend this practice!
Buy nice new ones next time!!

Ok Chris , that don't need no stinking sea legs. Just hang from that pedestal ! :rotf :rotf :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

Snow day! time for more ReHab! Ventral strakes were on backwards :smack , so I snapped 'em, drilled 'em, pinned 'em, and sanded the dickens out of them, under running water.
F-8_Rehab_4_Feb_2014_1.JPG

There's been quite a lot of sanding old gooey paint, under the faucet.:bang head
Interesting electronic bump added to the nose. Goes with the early "Iron Hand" motif!
F-8_Rehab_4_Feb_2014_2.JPG

Head on "If it Flies, It dies" view. My 2nd favorite face!
F-8_Rehab_4_Feb_2014_3.JPG

I considered that very thing! Digging thru the Box O' Parts, I found 2/3rds of the landing gear. Besides, if I build her wheels up, I'd be more inclined to fly it around the yard. People already wonder about me!! HA!

Are ALL Models Plastic? I think not! :silly:
Michelle does PR in Our Pensacola office. It appears the temperature there is less than balmy. Sorry 'Chelle!

Hey young Rhino . Pensacola is Northern Florida . From what I remember, can tell the difference between it and Southern Georgia. :rotf :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

I considered that very thing! Digging thru the Box O' Parts, I found 2/3rds of the landing gear. Besides, if I build her wheels up, I'd be more inclined to fly it around the yard. People already wonder about me!! HA!
I thought all modelers take theyr planes for a little spin :S

Between those furry pix and Phantom's spelling, I'd say you guys were hittin' the rum! :rotf

Carry on, Sailor! B)

I know I do, but I don't admit it so much. I have a buddy from VA-65. We get loaded and shoot scale day traps on my Egg Carrier.
I've been caught 7 times I recall. I drive my tanks too! I LOVE the actions running tracks make!! DON'T TELL ANYONE!!

I sprayed some Reefer White tonight. I'd advise, on AIM-9's, apply your white 1st. I would also not advise this masking method. Makes a mess. I'm writing it off to the pain killers I have after a minor work mishap.
F-8_Rehab_7_Feb_2014_1.JPG

Never use the old Revell Sidewinders. :bang head

Start of Reefer White primer coat. More sanding was needed, but felt like playing with my airbrush.
F-8_Rehab_7_Feb_2014_2.JPG

In keeping with the "ReHab" theme, I painted upper & Lower surfaces in the same session :facepalm
F-8_Rehab_7_Feb_2014_3.JPG

Gotta start someplace!
F-8_Rehab_7_Feb_2014_4.JPG

Happy Modeling!

Back