• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 Petlyakov PE-2 - new attempt

Flyingbabydoc

Hello everyone

Working on the Bf.110 made me start craving some Borscht, Blinijs und Beluga and Wodka. Time to venture into some Russian airplanes.

I had built not Long ago an Ilyushin IL-2 Sturmovik from Tamiya, a wonderful 1/72 kit OOB. I have tested some of the weathering in preparation for the Bf.110 and it actually turned out ok IMHO.

h908abdb.JPG

ha101dc1.JPG

h925b978.JPG

h1b225a3.JPG

h154d053.JPG

Now it is time for one of my favorite aircraft, the Petlyakov PE-2 (dive)bomber. I will be Assembling for the first time an Unimodel aircraft from the Ukraine. At first glance, lots of Details and even some PE.

hf3fc39c.JPG

h008cb5d.JPG

The decals are Begemot and I will assemble the PE-2 of the 205th series "White 58" from Capt. Gnedoy flying with the 40. BAP in the Black Sea Fleet Air Forces in the Spring of 1944. Let's see what happens.

Cheers everyone

Alex

Wings of the Red Star (1): 1/72 Petlyakov PE-2

I miss the borscht myself :( What's not to love about a Sturmovik :cheer: , unless it's the ancient Airfix version .

I've been curious about this PE-2 kit . Guess I'm going to get some first hand answers :D

The only thing I would like any better would be a good TU-2 :drool

Cheers, Christian B)

Nice Il-2 Alex! I built that Tamiya kit myself recently and it was a real treat.

I have the UM Pe-2 in the stage somewhere so looking forward to seeing how it goes together.

:popcorn

Thanks Dave and Christian.

I actually have the TU-2 from ICM in my stash. Maybe I will build it next :Drinks

The preliminary assemble is ready and it was quite interesting. Lots of sanding and adjusting but all-in-all very much Detail. Lots of hatches and openings.

I actually modified something myself and opened up the bomb bay doors in the nacele. These will each carry one of the small bombs plus 4 internally in the bomb bay. This one will have no external bombs.

Thanks for looking. Next week time allowing I will start painting the interior.

Cheers

Alex

h7b19891.JPG

he8f172b.JPG

h7ab524b.JPG

hc63d857.JPG

hc8866f1.JPG

hab1139a.JPG

hb554968.JPG

hc4e35d1.JPG

h33cc7f3.JPG

Bombbay in the nacelle? Didn't know that, how unique. :popcorn

Thanks friends,

This week has been absolutely crazy, this is the first time I log in.

Little Progress, some paint and weathering. Hopefully next week will be better.

Cheers

Alex

h587f9f9.JPG

h6f30266.JPG

h95ec9b8.JPG

h9f0e250.JPG

hbbe52c2.JPG

h4243ce1.JPG

h5f06059.JPG

hf9604b1.JPG

had102cf.JPG

h86ba67c.JPG

h5f7d237.JPG

I know what you're going through; my whole month has been crazy! Still, you managed to do some excellent work so far. I really am impressed with the washed you've done. I still can't get mine to look that good. Keep going man, I'm watching this one.

Thanks for looking and for the Support Bob, Luiz and Mark! :ro:

This time I had to struggle a lot with the assembly. Not easy, nothing seemed to fit where it should. After some sweat, blood and tears (and a lot of cursing) I got everything together. Definitely a minus Point for Unimodel.

here the pics:

ha8ae522.JPG

had4ce64.JPG

hb65ba61.JPG

h4019a02.JPG

h13756a6.JPG

h4ec1da7.JPG

hc7db9a0.JPG

hae70569.JPG

hfa58102.JPG

h3a9a619.JPG

I Need to get this ready before October when I am flying to DC. And I Need to get my lectures ready before that!

Cheers

Alex

Thanks for shinning some light on this kit Alex :coolio Your words sound terribly familiar to me.

You got it looking good though . (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

Wow, at least you're beating this thing into submission. Way to go! So far, so good. Don't worry about finishing before October; your lectures are more important. Take care of priorities man, this is worth the wait.

Thanks guys

Got my priorities sorted out and the lectures sooner than I though ready for the big Meeting. Should be fun. At least I am including a full afternoon at the Air & Space Museum as "reward"...

Here is the Progress, I got some unexpected free time in the Weekend and I will try to get the painting done. There are 2 Sturmoviks next on the bench that I am just dying to begin.

I finally managed to get everything to fit together and I must say that the result is better than I thought given all the struggle. There are still some weird angles to be corrected but all in all it fit ok. Now on to filling those gaps with liquid putty, masking and primer coating.

Here the pics. Thanks for looking!

Cheers

Alex

h26f0efa.JPG

hc173028.JPG

h01af64f.JPG

h6c5c6b1.JPG

hd9081c6.JPG

Hi Alex. Glad to see you have got things sorted out and that life allowed you some unexpected free time. :)

The air and space museum will be a good reward :D

After taking a careful survey of the fit on this kit, I don't think I'm willing to take it on at this time .

Good of you to get it this far though . Waiting on some paint . :popcorn

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Christian

This is officially a nightmare :bang head :bang head :bang head

Nothing seems to fit correctly!! Lots of glue and then big creases that required massive amounts of putty. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Still, I managed to get the primer in (nothing as smooth as Christian's YAK) and some undersurface bright russian Blue on.

Let's hope I can disguise the faults with the painting. It will be a challenge.

Nice Weekend everyone

Alex

hc864125.JPG

h87fd283.JPG

he6f1c4d.JPG

hb230804.JPG

he2d36a5.JPG

h990bb4c.JPG

h92794b6.JPG

Back