• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 HU-16B (wip)

Hippy Ed

Ok, I recently started this kit and, it has a history of being an old kit in a newer box :blink
SP1_zpsecb42de3.jpg

I'll be doing it up in the markings on the box top :popcorn
The pit is pretty sparce...
HU-pit_zps02b8db00.jpg

HU-pit2_zps08b85c28.jpg

Raised rivets with engraved panel lines :bang head not to mention ejector pin marks & Flash galore :S
SP4_zps75504578.jpg

SP5_zps094e2bd0.jpg

I've added the glass & sealed up the fuselage on this beast
HU-1_zps2d70b2b0.jpg

assembled the wing, attached the landing gear
HU-5_zpsc3158b51.jpg

This is all done under the Supervision of Capt. Psycho...
HU-4_zps5a7ac2a9.jpg

sealed the crew hatch and the nose gear well
HU-8_zps5331d1b7.jpg
HU-9_zpsfde47e96.jpg

And, after masking off the clear parts with Micro mask, I attached the wing to the fuselage

h0916add.jpg

h743d8f1.jpg

and she is awaiting warmer weather for her seesion in the spray booth... :good:

Hey Eddie, you got this in our Floaters campaign, it ends like, Saturday. Mind if I move it to Wesendorf Field (our aircraft section)?

Cool! This should be good!

:popcorn

Yep, should be :good: An old kit with fit issues. I had to trim along the fore & aft edge of the wing where it meets the fuselage in order to get it to sit down right. Popped the lower hull seam so, had to re-glue it in the center :blush:

Anyways, I decided to paint the floats by hand a few days ago so, they're good & dry. Started adding Orange paint to the front tips and it doesn't seem to want to lay down on the Aluminum :blink So, I laid on a coat, let dry & went back over it a few times and is starting to look ok but, has me thinking, Should I do the Orange on the wings N Fuselage 1st & then mask off for the Aluminum? Seems whenever I've applied masking tape to Aluminum in the past, it usually peeled off with the tape. ANy suggestions y'all?
Thanks

Hi Ed,

Really like the work you have done on this one (y)

Sorry, no advice on the paint issue ( rarely get to the paint stage on my builds :( :( )

Randy

Ok, someone on another board says to spray the Aluminum, let it dry then clearcoat it. Let dry then mask off for the Orange & it should be ok. Sounds like a plan to me... :drunk

Ok, someone on another board says to spray the Aluminum, let it dry then clearcoat it. Let dry then mask off for the Orange & it should be ok. Sounds like a plan to me... :drunk

that should work, I've found, depending on the paint, that if you let it dry for 24 hrs you can just mask the paint (mostly with ModelMaster paints).

Yep, should be :good: An old kit with fit issues. I had to trim along the fore & aft edge of the wing where it meets the fuselage in order to get it to sit down right. Popped the lower hull seam so, had to re-glue it in the center :blush:

Anyways, I decided to paint the floats by hand a few days ago so, they're good & dry. Started adding Orange paint to the front tips and it doesn't seem to want to lay down on the Aluminum :blink So, I laid on a coat, let dry & went back over it a few times and is starting to look ok but, has me thinking, Should I do the Orange on the wings N Fuselage 1st & then mask off for the Aluminum? Seems whenever I've applied masking tape to Aluminum in the past, it usually peeled off with the tape. ANy suggestions y'all?
Thanks

I didn't see this question when you posted it. Tell ya what, I figured out all sorts of ways to make paint peel when masked. First question to ask is what paints you using? Primer or not?

Based on what I've scre..done in the past I thin I would do the orange first then mask it off and get your NMF done.

Thanks

I didn't see this question when you posted it. Tell ya what, I figured out all sorts of ways to make paint peel when masked. First question to ask is what paints you using? Primer or not?

Based on what I've scre..done in the past I thin I would do the orange first then mask it off and get your NMF done.
I'm using Testors enamal (square bottle) Aluminum and, Model Masters Enamel Fl. Orange on this.

Any primer? Think your enamels will be ok. My problem has always been with AlcladII, and on larger surfaces.

Now that is coming along :good:

I have always found the Model Masters Enamel Fl. Orange really thin, but what you have done looks good from what I can see

Back