• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 Heinkel He-177A-5 with lots of goodies

Flyingbabydoc

Hello everyone

Back from a wonderful vacation in South America it is time to get the new year of modelling going.

I believe there is a saying in the USA like this: "go big or go bust", right? Well then I am starting the new year with a bang.

This is the Revell 1/72 Heinkel He-177 A-5 which I will be assembling with a lot of resin (engines, wheels, bomb bay) and lots of PE. I love this odd bird, what a shame that None has survived the war.

Still waiting for the decals to arrive, not sure if I will go with a normal bomber from Operation Steinbock (and use some resin bombs) or use the Hs-293 guided bombs. This kit Comes with the Fritz-X guided bomb, but I can manage to scavange a few HS-293 from another kit. Let me know your opinion about this.

Thanks for looking and wish me luck!

Cheers

Alex

h88fccec.JPG

h0a8cab1.JPG

heed7610.JPG

h171ccf9.JPG

h68f4be6.JPG

h181df6c.JPG

h4e4e4bb.JPG

h300f45d.JPG

h7e22c4b.JPG

hdb9c43d.JPG

hce3ad1e.JPG

That is a lot of goodies.

About those self adhesive eduards, don't trust them. I used some way back and the glue seems to float around. clean off the adhesive with lacquer thinner and use CA.

:popcorn

You are quite right Bob.

I never trust the self-adhesive thingies. First time I did and after a few hours all was detached. I always use CA for that.

Let's just hope that I don't screw it up AGAIN... :tomato

So what do you think? Bombs, Hs-293 or Fritz-X?

Cheers

Alex

You are quite right Bob.

I never trust the self-adhesive thingies. First time I did and after a few hours all was detached. I always use CA for that.

Let's just hope that I don't screw it up AGAIN... :tomato

So what do you think? Bombs, Hs-293 or Fritz-X?

Cheers

Alex

Love that bird . Have two in the past . I have this particular one waiting in the closet.

I have sent you an inspiration link .

Cheers, Christian B)

Great choice Alex! Love this bird. (y) :popcorn :popcorn

Any of the bomb options would be great. I personally like the hs 293.

Nice looking project Alex! I would suggest doing your research well before using any of the CMK resin. My experiences with their stuff has been that it isn't that accurate. Double check their stuff to be on the safe side.

I will be watching this as I have a 1/48 kit and have thought about obtaining a 1/32 vac kit.

Oh and the self adhesive garbage on the Eduard colored PE is crap. I remove it with Xylene which isn't as aggressive as laquer thiinner. Always concerned with damaging the color that is applied. The Xylene, some Q-tips and paper towels seem to do the job well and it isn't as volatile or aromatic as most of the solvents out there.

Thanks guys

Paul, I quite agree with you. I have seen some Problems with CMK Details in the past, particularly in the Spitfire Details. That is why I got the books as well.

Thanks for the tip with the Xylene. That is something I can withstand, I do not react to it - we use it a lot in the lab in the immunohistochemistry slides.

Now, you must be kidding: a 1/32 Heinkel He-177? How is that possible? The wingspan alone must be what, 4 feet? How can you build such a Monster... :huh: :huh:

Cheers

Alex

I have the 1/32nd scale PBY Catalins by HPH (?) It has a 39 inch wingspan. The 1/43 DeAgostini Millennium Falcon dwarfs it though.

Building the 1/72 Do-17z by Airfix at the moment and am enjoying it. (45 Years Later thread)

Always enjoy your builds Alex, will be watching. :popcorn

Hello dear friends

A small update - this week was chaotic, no bench time at all! The Little one will start Kindergarten next week so lots going on. I think this one will be a slow Project. Hope you will bare with me.

Some PE in the Cockpit. I managed to get it done with minimal glue. :Drinks

Cheers

Alex

h2ece901.JPG

h45ab297.JPG

haffb7d5.JPG

h1c5a013.JPG

hb067f2b.JPG

hcc6d453.JPG

h18cb090.JPG

h2400e50.JPG

h528cb3f.JPG

hbfc0c18.JPG

h371a02f.JPG

Looking very nice Alex (y) Are they calling for RLM 02 for the interior ? I would have though RLM 66 :hmmm

Cheers, Christian B)

Looking very nice Alex (y) Are they calling for RLM 02 for the interior ? I would have though RLM 66 :hmmm

Cheers, Christian B)

I've done a little research on this, and can't seem to pinpoint the answer. According to the RLM, bombers are supposed to have 02 interiors. I can't find anything changing it to 66. But photos of the cockpits of late bombers (He177 and Ju388) sure look like RLM66 to me. So probably good either way? :idonno

Anyway - great work Doc, really impressive considering the scale!

Keep up the good work!

Back