• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Monogram F-80C converted to a P-80A-1

jeaton01

I've been building the early jets and it became the F-80's turn. It would have been nice to do the XP-80 but it really had little in common with the Monogram kit, being a lot smaller and planned for a different engine. I some time in the past bought a bunch of P/F 80 sets from Fox 3, Gerry Asher, and for this I used the resin and vacuform parts to do a P-80 from the first production block, the P-80A-1. These airplanes were painted ADC Grey (16473) and were filled and polished. The finishes didn't last well at all and the P-80A-5 and later airplanes were all delivered in bare aluminum. The P-80A-1 had a landing light in the nose in place of the black panel that covered a radio direction finder antenna in later airplanes, and the cockpit was 9 inches further aft than later P-80's with ejection seats. Early P-80's were not built with ejection seats although many were later retrofitted with them.

Four P-80's from the -1 Block were sent to Europe before the end of WW II, and two of them were sent to Italy where they flew but did not enter into any combat. The other two went to England where one was lost in a crash.

A P-80A-1 with the markings "Lil' Abner", an Al Capp character from the cartoon Dogpatch, was flown by Rex Barber, who was a participant in the Yamamoto shootdown and is most likely the pilot who fired the fatal shots. He was commander of a P-80 squadron at March Field.
It seems strange to see a jet with an antenna wire and masts, but that's the way it was with the first P-80's.

0072f80.jpg

0082f80.jpg

0092f80.jpg

0102f80.jpg

0112f80.jpg

0122f80.jpg

0132f80.jpg

0142f80.jpg

0152f80.jpg

I worked really hard to keep the detail on the bottom while fixing the parting line between the front and rear fuselage so I wouldn't lose all the liitle bumps. After the model was nearly done and I was adding the antenna masts to the bottom I happened to read the part of the instructions where it said to remove the bumps because they were for JATO bottle mounting, an item which the A-1 was not equipped. You can get it right when you build yours!

0162f80.jpg

And here with the Bell XP-59A (Hobbycraft) and Gloster Meteor F.3 (Tamiya).

0172f80.jpg

0182f80.jpg

You just did get that one in for 2019. Great finish and thanks for the write up, some stuff I did not know.

Love the trio as well especially the XP-59.

Very nice finish . The last three T-33 's to be at MacDill looked every bit that nice in the mid 70's .

Nice airplanes to watch in the skies .

Cheers, Christian B)

Looks great John, and expanded my knowledge of the early jets!

I really like the simple grey finish with the white tips

(y)

Interesting history lesson John! I really don't know all that much about early jets and found it fascinating that there were some allied jets over there before wars end.

As to the finish it is very well done and I like the full set of 3.

Looks_Good_GIF.gif

Back